A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

Victor Kasule on the charge in a 2-1 win over the Shire at the Commonwealth Stadium, April 1987. Meadowbank, under Terry Christie, won the second division that year; the crowd a remarkable 431.

The referee, with his shirt open virtually to his navel, looks like an extra from the nightclub assassination scene in Scarface,

edinburghmeadowbank-thistles-victor-kasule-breaks-away-with-the-ball-picture-id1278156581.jpg

Edited by Ivo den Bieman

On 09/04/2021 at 20:30, Ivo den Bieman said:

Victor Kasule on the charge in a 2-1 win over the Shire at the Commonwealth Stadium, April 1987. Meadowbank, under Terry Christie, won the second division that year; the crowd a remarkable 431.

The referee, with his shirt open virtually to his navel, looks like an extra from the nightclub assassination scene in Scarface,

edinburghmeadowbank-thistles-victor-kasule-breaks-away-with-the-ball-picture-id1278156581.jpg

Looks like either penny Hope or Douglas Hope

We used to think they were bad but they are absolutely miles ahead of the clowns refereeing today.   They knew how to 'man manage' players, or probably were actually allowed to do so rather than today's clones.

I seem to remember some story about someone wanting to 'dance like Vic Kasule' but don't know anything other than that.

5 minutes ago, paul wright scores said:

My first impression was Brian McGinlay but who knows...
I was at a Thistle v Caley derby in, I think, 1991.  Jim Leishman was the (short-lived) Thistle manager at the time and had just been caught drink-driving in Inverness. The story was that he left the boardroom to go and buy more bevvy after being trounced in a League Cup tie v Caley the previous midweek but was stopped by the polis. It was rumoured that they were tipped off by one half of the Caley fanzine duo.
Anyway the Caley support were in their element before the game with every possible licence-related song being utilised. I suppose you had to be there. But no sooner had the Leish songs dried up than the teams were announced, and the ref was... Brian McGinlay. Older posters will remember that McGinlay  was struck off the referees’ list for “personal reasons”.  So a new round of songs were started up...

Celtic v Dundee Utd 1974
7F4039B7-191E-4870-AB95-108EE369304D.jpeg.ad641ed7a4959bca809c8bbce83abf72.jpeg

Always amazes me how fans could see what was going on. Few of my mates were at an Aberdeen v Celtic semi final many years ago. It was a bit foggy and if memory serves Joe Miller scored what proved to be the winner. They only knew they were winning cos someone in front of them was listening to the game on the radio.

1 hour ago, paul wright scores said:

Looks like either Kenny Hope or Douglas Hope

Found a couple of photos of the Hopes so you can make your minds up.

Here's Kenny's mugshot...

hope_kenneth.auth

And here's Dougie before the Celtic v Red Star Belgrade centenary match in 1988...

EbDajkoWkAME855?format=jpg&name=medium

Edited by Lurkst

22 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Did you not post that one before?

Quite possibly, none of us are getting any younger and memory ain’t what it used to be.  I was also at that game so that’s my, other, excuse for posting it twice. 

1 hour ago, paul wright scores said:

We used to think they were bad but they are absolutely miles ahead of the clowns refereeing today.   They knew how to 'man manage' players, or probably were actually allowed to do so rather than today's clones.

I seem to remember some story about someone wanting to 'dance like Vic Kasule' but don't know anything other than that.

Think it's Dougie. I thought the referees then were poor, right enough, and I'm not too sure they were far better than today's batch.

1 hour ago, Drew Brees said:

Celtic v Dundee Utd 1974

7F4039B7-191E-4870-AB95-108EE369304D.jpeg

The stadium view has been up before from memory, but here's one from that match, three famous Scottish football characters on view.

1974.jpg.e95aabb2068d3b6611ed086af4c42466.jpg

Edited by Dundee Hibernian