A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

On 30/03/2021 at 16:34, LongTimeLurker said:

Dundee United's success in the late 1970s and through the 1980s is probably the main factor and what it did to Dundee's fanbase among the younger generation. Clyde arguably did worse out of reconstruction though:

1280px-ClydeFC_League_Performance.svg.pn

My family moved to Dundee in late 1966 and I started secondary school in summer 1967. The  majority of pupils at my school were Dundee supporters, they’d won the league only 5 years earlier, and it stayed like that all through my school years. The relegation of Dundee in 1975 is something they have never recovered from, and probably never will. Point of interest, or name dropping, is that the only United fan that I can remember who was in my year at secondary was George Galloway.

1 minute ago, kingjoey said:

My family moved to Dundee in late 1966 and I started secondary school in summer 1967. The  majority of pupils at my school were Dundee supporters, they’d won the league only 5 years earlier, and it stayed like that all through my school years. The relegation of Dundee in 1975 is something they have never recovered from, and probably never will. Point of interest, or name dropping, is that the only United fan that I can remember who was in my year at secondary was George Galloway.

The "Indefatigable" Kingjoey. (You really that old?)

9 hours ago, lionel wickson said:

The Hungary game was shown in the early evening on BBC, might only have been the second half live or highkights? The Austria game was shown in full live on STV, with highlights later on the BBC. You are right, both games were on a Sunday.

Football on the Sabbath? Tsssk well seeing they were over 1000 miles away 😠

3 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I've seen him at matches, supporting United, and heard of him going to away games on supporters' buses. Of course Galloway denies it now, but I'm glad you posted this.

On 04/04/2021 at 20:10, Lurkst said:

20717.Big.jpg

Scotland keeper Bill Brown claims the ball on the cover of this Hungarian magazine reporting on a 3-3 draw in the Budapest Nepstadion, June 1960.

Those floodlights... Truly excellent.

On 05/04/2021 at 23:25, Andy_K_97 said:

Those floodlights... Truly excellent.

Classic stadium, glad I got to a few games there before it was flattened...

puskas5.jpg

budapest-nepstadion.jpg

Keeping it on topic one of those games was a 4 nil stroll for Celtic versus MTK Hungaria on a sweltering summer night in 2003. Here's Henrik Larsson lobbing the opening goal...

_39398185_henriklarssonmtk203.jpg

Edited by Lurkst

On 30/03/2021 at 16:34, LongTimeLurker said:

Dundee United's success in the late 1970s and through the 1980s is probably the main factor and what it did to Dundee's fanbase among the younger generation. Clyde arguably did worse out of reconstruction though:

1280px-ClydeFC_League_Performance.svg.pn

There are a few factors, some brought about by our own poor decision-making and some  more out of our control. The decision to stop us playing in Europe in 67 was something we look back on with regret as it could have provided a real platform for building something longer lasting. Getting caught outside the top ten not long afterwards when leagues were restructured was also a big factor. The third was having to leave Shawfield, drifting for 7 years,  and then after doing a lot of good work to close the deal on Broadwood we failed to capitalise on it. Finally, making an arse of the last couple of games in 2004 to miss out on promotion to the Premier was the final straw.

There are a few factors, some brought about by our own poor decision-making and some  more out of our control. The decision to stop us playing in Europe in 67 was something we look back on with regret as it could have provided a real platform for building something longer lasting. Getting caught outside the top ten not long afterwards when leagues were restructured was also a big factor. The third was having to leave Shawfield, drifting for 7 years,  and then after doing a lot of good work to close the deal on Broadwood we failed to capitalise on it. Finally, making an arse of the last couple of games in 2004 to miss out on promotion to the Premier was the final straw.

I doubt that playing in Europe would have made any huge difference. Killie were champions of Scotland in 1965, drew with Real Madrid in the European Cup the next season and reached the Fairs Cup semi-final the following season, and yet were relegated by 1972 and spent the next two decades as a yo-yo club, including spending a year in the third tier.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

I doubt that playing in Europe would have made any huge difference. Killie were champions of Scotland in 1965, drew with Real Madrid in the European Cup the next season and reached the Fairs Cup semi-final the following season, and yet were relegated by 1972 and spent the next two decades as a yo-yo club, including spending a year in the third tier.

We'll never know. I was at the Leeds game as a young boy with my dad. 0-0 IIRC

5 hours ago, TheScarf said:

My word, that Clyde drop off.  The game we beat them 2-1 in the penultimate game in 03-04 started it.

IMHO the game at Somerset the previous week was the issue. We battered them, scored an own goal when 1-0 up and that is what opened the door for ICT. If we win at Somerset the game v ICT becomes a moot point. 

16 hours ago, Lurkst said:

Classic stadium, glad I got to a few games there before it was flattened...

puskas5.jpg

budapest-nepstadion.jpg

Keeping it on topic one of those games was a 4 nil stroll for Celtic versus MTK Hungaria on a sweltering summer night in 2003. Here's Henrik Larsson lobbing the opening goal...

dJ8Vb_rC9AGwwkhxIetdYXI9Cq_KoE-gc-jdmLdq

Beautiful stadium, never watched a match there but managed to sneak past security & take a few photos during a trip to Budapest in 2011.

Also, Kim Milton Nielsen was a cracking ref. 

23 hours ago, Drew Brees said:

Celtic fans at Ibrox, in the days before bald heads were invented. 

5247A1F4-080D-4B0C-8A82-08BED4FF9976.jpeg

6 hours ago, killiepiemuncher said:

Surely a few comb-overs were lurking in that crowd.

A couple of long-baldies in there too surely...