A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

14 minutes ago, A96 said:

An example of the Dons being shafted by the Central Belt Football Establishment.   Shortly after the draw for that semi was made , Muirton Park was announced as the venue.  An eminently sensible and obvious choice , being pretty much equidistant to Paisley and Aberdeen.  A wee bit closer to Paisley , actually.

But St Mirren complained , bleating how unfair it was that their fans had to travel so far for one of their rare appearances in a semi. So,of course , the SFA duly obliged by changing the venue to Parkhead ....about 10 miles from Paisley and about 140 miles from Aberdeen. 

I doubt very much that a club the size of St. Mirren would have held sway with the SFA.

Edited by Arch Stanton

13 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

I doubt very much that a club the size of St. Mirren would have held sway with the SFA.

Well, something made them change their mind.  Maybe the ref told them he didn’t fancy the long trek to Perth from whichever hovel in Strathclyde/Lanarkshire/ Renfrewshire/ Ayrshire * he came from.

But it seemed an awful co-incidence that the venue was changed after St Mirren made it clear they weren’t happy with Muirton.

* delete as appropriate

22 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

John Blackley in background? 

Looks like him but according to the match records he didn't play.

Willie Johnston was sent off. Argentina definitely wasn't his favourite country. 

An example of the Dons being shafted by the Central Belt Football Establishment.   Shortly after the draw for that semi was made , Muirton Park was announced as the venue.  An eminently sensible and obvious choice , being pretty much equidistant to Paisley and Aberdeen.  A wee bit closer to Paisley , actually.
But St Mirren complained , bleating how unfair it was that their fans had to travel so far for one of their rare appearances in a semi. So,of course , the SFA duly obliged by changing the venue to Parkhead ....about 10 miles from Paisley and about 140 miles from Aberdeen. 

There's a lot of Killie fans who are a bit older than me who regularly go on about a cup tie against Aberdeen at Muirton Park and how unsafe it was for that number of fans. Congestion outside, crushing and so on. Perhaps that was also a consideration.

There's a lot of Killie fans who are a bit older than me who regularly go on about a cup tie against Aberdeen at Muirton Park and how unsafe it was for that number of fans. Congestion outside, crushing and so on. Perhaps that was also a consideration.

IMG_7936.jpg

I presume it was this match?

The first time I’d seen the photo I was left wondering why Jeanfield swift’s and Kinnoull were playing out a tie at Muirton Park.

Didn’t realise it was blue and white stripes for a good few moments.

16 hours ago, A96 said:

Well, something made them change their mind.  Maybe the ref told them he didn’t fancy the long trek to Perth from whichever hovel in Strathclyde/Lanarkshire/ Renfrewshire/ Ayrshire * he came from.

But it seemed an awful co-incidence that the venue was changed after St Mirren made it clear they weren’t happy with Muirton.

* delete as appropriate

St Mirren did ask for it to be changed. Not because of the distance but because of the capacity at Muirton at that time. It was 15k and our chairman didn't think it was large enough. He expected St Mirren, and definitely Aberdeen, to bring more than 7500 fans each. The request was for a ground with a larger capacity, it was the SFA that chose Parkhead. Th e attendance was about 18k, so the move didn't get the expected crowd.

Celtic 0 St Mirren 3 and nobody has mentioned the Cockles Wilson supporters' bus. Half the bus had money on St Mirren to win 3-0 at 80 to 1. A pint at the time was about 80p. There was a lot of beer to be won. One small section of the Saints support praying that we didn't score any more goals. Had the chances to score several more. Nerve wracking for some.

On 28/03/2021 at 17:30, A96 said:

* delete as appropriate

To be fair even St Johnstone were not happy with Muirton.

19 minutes ago, tam the bud said:

Great night in Perth later  :lol:  

!0 players in the picture, who is missing ?

I remember the game well for all the wrong reasons. Saints were absolutely magnificent and destroyed Dundee who finished 3rd that season after being relegated for the first time in my lifetime the season before. The start of the decline that we've never recovered from

22 minutes ago, ScottyDee1893 said:

I remember the game well for all the wrong reasons. Saints were absolutely magnificent and destroyed Dundee who finished 3rd that season after being relegated for the first time in my lifetime the season before. The start of the decline that we've never recovered from

I was talking with a younger Saints fan about this and for some reason Dundee are the one of the established teams from the old 18 team top division who have been affected the most by the introduction of the Premier league in 1975.

There is no apparent reason for this, as similar or smaller clubs have thrived, even prospered in periods or even the long term . Kilmarnock and Motherwell have been in the league for ever and yet Dundee just cannot seem to build long term in the Premier league or its various titles since 1975.

8 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

I was talking with a younger Saints fan about this and for some reason Dundee are the one of the established teams from the old 18 team top division who have been affected the most by the introduction of the Premier league in 1975.

There is no apparent reason for this, ...

Dundee United's success in the late 1970s and through the 1980s is probably the main factor and what it did to Dundee's fanbase among the younger generation. Clyde arguably did worse out of reconstruction though:

1280px-ClydeFC_League_Performance.svg.pn

Edited by LongTimeLurker

2 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Dundee United's success in the late 1970s and through the 1980s is probably the main factor and what it did to Dundee's fanbase among the younger generation. Clyde arguably did worse out of reconstruction though:

1280px-ClydeFC_League_Performance.svg.pn

I'd not appreciated the fall of from Cyde, that is grim.