A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

2 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Looks more than 28,000, but, according to the AFC Heritage site it was 28,000. (28,527 to be precise.)

ETA: A lot of interesting stuff about the match on that site. but I can't copy and paste it for some reason.

http://afcheritage.org/matches/fixtures/mreport.cfm?fixture_id=1535&season=1930-31&squad=Senior

This was a replay after 1-1 at Dens so that’s some crowd for a Wednesday afternoon.

5 hours ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:

Jimmy Liddle scoring against Stranraer in the 5-3 victory from April 1984 when The Loons were crowned Second Division champions.

A little before my time but the older generations still talk about this being one of the best days ever in the history of Forfar Athletic.FB_IMG_1613755185052.jpeg.ab8e61ab611be3a6554d6dd1e69e04b1.jpeg

He later played for Meadowbank but didn't set the heather on fire and went off to the Belgian 3rd Division, strangely enough!

And we only just pipped you (and East Fife!) into the Premier Division two years later!
Yeah, the 80s was definitely the time to be a Forfar fan, just a shame I wasn't born for any of it! Getting into the Premier League in 86 would have been unbelievable, very unlikely something like that will ever happen again for us

13 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Brian Marjoribanks played for Hibs then Hearts in the early 60s, brief careers at each. He was a centre forward, and I think he scored in an Edinburgh derby. At Easter Road he played beside future Scotland manager Ally Mcleod. He signed for Aberdeen, who had a fixture backlog due due the severe winter of 62-63, but for some reason Rangers objected to him playing against them, and he was released: http://www.afcheritage.org/Team/CurrentSquad/player_show.cfm?player_id=8140&Season=1962-63

Peculiarly perhaps, he gave the game up at an early point to work in theatre, which led him, via appearing in Dr Finlay's Casebook (as Tannochbrae United's star footballer), to BBC Scotland's sports department. He was the first presenter on Sportsound on the radio, and Sportsreel, forerunner to Sportscene.

His son, also Brian, is a sports journalist.

Brian Marjoribanks.jpeg

Yes I remember him as the original Richard Gordon, handing over to David Francey for match commentary (second half only IIRC).

On 15/02/2021 at 19:57, Flybhoy said:

The two commentators I first remember as a lad, Montford hung up the microphone early 80's to do the studio anchor role for Scotsport to make way for Jock Brown, if I'm correct Arthur Montford lived into his early 90's before he passed away about ten years ago. 

Archie McPherson is still living and only retired about a decade ago, he still pops up now and again in the papers or on telly with some rather odd and bizarre rants about society, he was a very accomplished writer as well...wrote quite a few books on football, his biography of Jock Stein was a brilliant piece of work, he must be about 160 years old now. 

IMG_20210215_100836.jpg

I caught an Only An Excuse compilation after VFTT last night and took away a couple of observations:-

1) The criticism that in later years it wasn't as good as before might be unfair, the quality was always a bit iffy.

2) The Archie - Davie - Archie - Davie sketch didn't make a lot of sense then I remembered the surreal radio commentaries he did on Clyde One in the 90s.

woof.jpg

Edited by Lurkst

7387589_orig.jpg

Rangers with three trophies in 1897: Glasgow Cup and Glasgow Charity Cup either side of the Scottish Cup.

I put this up because I found out just now that Dumbarton, the runners-up in the Scottish Cup, also finished bottom of the League - and failed re-election.  That seems intensely harsh for a club that had been champions five years before, and who had never had to apply for re-election.   They lost out to Ayr 24-17.   Was there some jealousy that they had managed to get to the Cup final?  I don't think a club failed re-election until 1904 (Ayr Parkhouse), although that's because it seems Linthouse refused to apply for re-election when they were bottom in 1900.  (Not surprising given how close they were to Ibrox.)

3 minutes ago, bluearmyfaction said:

7387589_orig.jpg

Rangers with three trophies in 1897: Glasgow Cup and Glasgow Charity Cup either side of the Scottish Cup.

I put this up because I found out just now that Dumbarton, the runners-up in the Scottish Cup, also finished bottom of the League - and failed re-election.  That seems intensely harsh for a club that had been champions five years before, and who had never had to apply for re-election.   They lost out to Ayr 24-17.   Was there some jealousy that they had managed to get to the Cup final?  I don't think a club failed re-election until 1904 (Ayr Parkhouse), although that's because it seems Linthouse refused to apply for re-election when they were bottom in 1900.  (Not surprising given how close they were to Ibrox.)

Strips courtesy of Primark. 

15 minutes ago, bluearmyfaction said:

7387589_orig.jpg

A young Craig Levein front 2nd right.

30 minutes ago, bluearmyfaction said:

7387589_orig.jpg

"Would you rather have a day out in Ayr or Dumbarton?" was the question put to the re-election committee. .

Isn't the Glasgow Charity Cup on show in the People's Palace? I'm sure I've seen it in a museum.

On 15/02/2021 at 19:57, Flybhoy said:

The two commentators I first remember as a lad, Montford hung up the microphone early 80's to do the studio anchor role for Scotsport to make way for Jock Brown, if I'm correct Arthur Montford lived into his early 90's before he passed away about ten years ago. 

Archie McPherson is still living and only retired about a decade ago, he still pops up now and again in the papers or on telly with some rather odd and bizarre rants about society, he was a very accomplished writer as well...wrote quite a few books on football, his biography of Jock Stein was a brilliant piece of work, he must be about 160 years old now. 

IMG_20210215_100836.jpg

A while back I was doing some media work for Raith Rovers at Ibrox, the bold Archie sat next to me and tore Kenny Miller to shreds 'legs gone, the boy's done' etc. two weeks later they extended his contract.