A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

ES Clydebank played a solitary year in the senior Scottish leagues in season 64-65. Some well known names on this autograph page, Andy Roxburgh, one time Scotland manager, John Arrol (ex Dunfermline, Dundee, and Clyde among others), Bill Munro, who went on to become the Bankies most successful manager, and Arthur Hamill, 'Shire stalwart and capable of winding up Falkirk fans by just appearing on the park.

ES Clydebank 64-65.JPG

On 10/02/2021 at 17:07, Lurkst said:

Nearly blew it! Only needed 1 point from the last 3 games as well 😮

Yes, and in the first of them, we led in Yugoslavia, having harshly had a goal disallowed.  We then managed to lose heavily, before doing the same in France, and limping over the line in that Norway game.  

I was at the Norway game too.  It was just as the wheels were starting to come off for Leighton.  This culminated that season in Ferguson wisely, if ruthlessly and damagingly, dropping him for the FA Cup final replay, before Roxburgh damagingly didn't.

On 09/02/2021 at 15:04, Shotts56 said:

They had just won Euro 84 and really unlucky to lose in the World Cup semi-final in 86.  Which shows what a good result that was for us.  But yes, they did lose their way for a few years after that.  

And even before that they were robbed in the World Cup semi in 1982 when the ref somehow missed the West Germany keeper’s assault on Battiston. 

7 minutes ago, A96 said:

And even before that they were robbed in the World Cup semi in 1982 when the ref somehow missed the West Germany keeper’s assault on Battiston. 

The ref missed it for the same reason everyone else also did at the time.  He'd have been following the ball as it just drifted narrowly past the post.

It's like when people claim it was crazy of the ref to miss the hand of God.  The commentators did too.  It took a while until they realised the appeals weren't for offside.

17 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The ref missed it for the same reason everyone else also did at the time.  He'd have been following the ball as it just drifted narrowly past the post.

It's like when people claim it was crazy of the ref to miss the hand of God.  The commentators did too.  It took a while until they realised the appeals weren't for offside.

I agree with you about the Maradona goal,  but the ref in that France -West Germany game was perfectly positioned with an unobstructed view. No reason for him to miss the assault whilst still being able to see where the ball was going.  And from memory , I think the commentators realised quicker than the ref that it was a shocker of a challenge by Schumacher.

23 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I was at Easter Road that day as Hibs laboured to a 2-0 win over the Pars. Just at the end somebody in the Cowshed must have had a radio as a chant of "Hamilton, Hamilton, Hamilton" started from the back. This spread to the East Terrace as people cottoned on to the news.

It may be faulty memory but I'm sure it was also the one time I can remember the knackered scoreboard on top of the Cowshed roof actually working as it came up with the score "Rangers 0 Hamilton 1". Maybe an ancient Hibee can confirm.

Strange to think that Hibs, Hearts and Meadowbank were all scheduled to be at home that day. I was well on my way to get the supporters bus when the Meadowbank v Ayr game was called off.

As I recall, it really took replays to establish what a vicious, deliberate assault it was.

Even when it was clear that Battiston had been very badly hurt, it seemed just like they'd clashed as Schumacher was beaten to the ball.  The fact that he had jumped into Battiston's head at speed with his hip, way late, took longer to establish.

Again, I wouldn't fault the ref on one viewing in real time, for failing to appreciate what had happened.

22 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

ES Clydebank played a solitary year in the senior Scottish leagues in season 64-65. Some well known names on this autograph page, Andy Roxburgh, one time Scotland manager, John Arrol (ex Dunfermline, Dundee, and Clyde among others), Bill Munro, who went on to become the Bankies most successful manager, and Arthur Hamill, 'Shire stalwart and capable of winding up Falkirk fans by just appearing on the park.

ES Clydebank 64-65.JPG

Yes Bill Munro was indeed great at Clydebank but he must have left all those skills behind in his time at Airdrie. In the Jim Gallagher /Andy Walker pic is that Jim "Jolly" Rodger in the Clydebank defence-great player for Airdrie. I will also apologise to Bankie fans for the 2003 scenario but it wisnae me.

Got very merry in there with a group of friendly Bankies one gloriously sunny and successful Saturday for Falkirk in May 1994, before going back to Glasgow and getting totally blootered. Many songs denigrating the footballing skills and even the parentage of our Fife pals may indeed have been sung that evening.

Edited by Ranaldo Bairn

Guest TheJTS98
On 09/02/2021 at 23:00, DiegoDiego said:

I was quite young at the time of that game and established the fact in my mind that France = shite at football. I was incredulous when they won in '98.

On 09/02/2021 at 23:04, Shotts56 said:

They had just won Euro 84 and really unlucky to lose in the World Cup semi-final in 86.  Which shows what a good result that was for us.  But yes, they did lose their way for a few years after that.  

I've always found the French national team a hard thing to pin down. I respect their dedication to extremes.

Until 82 they'd been roundly shite, but then went on a tournament run from 82-86 of World Cup semi, Euros winner, World Cup semi, before failing to qualify for three of the next four tournaments and getting knocked out winless in the first round the only time they did (Euro 92).

Once they got back in in 96, they started a run of Euro semis, World Cup winners, Euros winners. Then ended that run by getting knocked out of the World Cup in the first round without scoring a goal.

A very strange side. Having just been in a Euros final and won the World Cup, they're due to miss tournaments for a decade or so.

France have played at 12 World Cups since the second world war. In all but one of them they've either gone out in the first round or made the semi-finals. No messing about with mediocrity.

Edited by TheJTS98