A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

6 hours ago, ScottyDee1893 said:

Programmes are from around 1974-76 so he was still with Arsenal/Derby then. His ill fated day oot to Tannadice came much later

Charlie George was our tour guide on an Arsenal tour a couple of years ago and was superb.

His knowledge of Scottish football was good and he came across as a very likeable character. Bizarrely Sir Trevor McDonald was on the same tour. 

On 08/02/2021 at 00:12, Lurkst said:

On further reflection, contrary to what The Scotsman says, these photos must have been from before 1962 because the floodlights aren't there!

22 hours ago, paulbrucerick said:

The recent Hampden chat got me thinking of my favourite Scotland game.

These two are probably tied. Both games at the old terraced Hampden too.

article-0-0027545300000258-979_468x286.jpg

Ally-McCoist.jpg

What a night. Paul McStay was magnificent in that game too.

Anyone remember the weird phenomenon that the press called "the Hampden Howl" ? A weird, high pitched noise the crowd made. I dont think it ever happened again. Maybe it put the French off?

I know! I probably bought a copy from Sportspages on Charing Cross Road. I just fudged the name, it hasn't been a prominent memory for the past 30 years, but it was lurking in there somewhere.

Sportspages used to be a must go shop when living in the Smoke in pre-internet days. I used to buy most of the Scottish fanzines that they had back in the late 80s. I am sure some of them are still in boxes in my folks attic. I wonder if they are worth anything now? [emoji848]

Guest TheJTS98
On 09/02/2021 at 22:53, Shotts56 said:

Agreed - two wonderful games.  Mo Johnstone scoring the first in the 2-0 win v France, and McCoist scoring in the 1-1 draw with Norway that qualified us.  Great days 🙂

Gave us one of the great Only an Excuse lines.

"In 73 against Czechoslovakia we needed a win and Joe Jordan gave us it. In 85 against Wales we needed a draw and Davie Cooper gave us it. And tonight we needed a draw, and Jim Leighton gave us it."

15 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

Gave us one of the great Only an Excuse lines.

"In 73 against Czechoslovakia we needed a win and Joe Jordan gave us it. In 85 against Wales we needed a draw and Davie Cooper gave us it. And tonight we needed a draw, and Jim Leighton gave us it."

I was right behind the goals for the late Norway equalizer and could swear there was a helluva late swerve on the shot. 

17 hours ago, paulbrucerick said:

The noise for the final 10-15 minutes of that Norway game was incessant. I don't think it even stopped when they scored! 

The other thing I remember was the Norwegian keeper, whose name escapes me, trying to hit the pipe band during the warm up.

Was in Erik Thorsvedt, the Spurs keeper ?

And yes, there was an incredible noise late on that game.  I was in the uncovered North Terracing, and it was my first experience of seeing us qualify for anything 🙂

2 hours ago, Shotts56 said:

Was in Erik Thorsvedt, the Spurs keeper ?

And yes, there was an incredible noise late on that game.  I was in the uncovered North Terracing, and it was my first experience of seeing us qualify for anything 🙂

That was him!

Obviously all the cool kids were on the North Terrace that night, me too.

40 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Had a wee hunch it might have been him actually, he had a brief spell at Stirling Albion in the late 90's and was pretty gash truth be told. 

Was not a favourite with us either but if he was put through 1 on 1 he would normally score unlike many better strikers overall, Lyle Taylor for example.

Edit: that's a good photo. I was looking at it trying to figure out who was attacking and who was defending... and then realised Goram was in the shot! 😄

Edited by Ranaldo Bairn

10 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Was not a favourite with us either but if he was put through 1 on 1 he would normally score unlike many better strikers overall, Lyle Taylor for example.

Edit: that's a good photo. I was looking at it trying to figure out who was attacking and who was defending... and then realised Goram was in the shot! 😄

Up for the corner?