A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

Watching a random episode of The Big Match Revisited. Apropos of very little, Brian Moore (whose head looks uncannily like the London Paladium) pulls out Wattie White's top and cap from the 1908 game vs England. A 1-1 draw.

The same episode features Brighton (Mullery) v Palace (Venables) in front of 27,000 at the Goldstone; Leeds v Man Utd; George Best being sent off for Fulham (Moore; Marsh) at The Dell. A goalie having to change his top for the heinous crime of the top not being plain.

It's dizzying. IMG_20210208_223505.jpegIMG_20210208_223601.jpeg

Watching a random episode of The Big Match Revisited. Apropos of very little, Brian Moore (whose head looks uncannily like the London Paladium) pulls out Wattie White's top and cap from the 1908 game vs England. A 1-1 draw.

The same episode features Brighton (Mullery) v Palace (Venables) in front of 27,000 at the Goldstone; Leeds v Man Utd; George Best being sent off for Fulham (Moore; Marsh) at The Dell. A goalie having to change his top for the heinous crime of the top not being plain.

It's dizzying. IMG_20210208_223505.jpeg.dc73708171fc114b15d0744ff41dd7d6.jpegIMG_20210208_223601.thumb.jpeg.feaa05a4049e483685f7c0e0fd7d6fbd.jpeg
I always thought the line was "looks like London Planetarium".

1 hour ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

It's dizzying. IMG_20210208_223505.jpegIMG_20210208_223601.jpeg

Great programme. I stopped watching Match Of The Day some time ago, but watch this every week.

12 minutes ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Sadly, it is now houses. Always a good place for a pint and a rap in the pus.

I knew that it had gone. Went to a fair few parties in the function suite, which was the in place to have a party if you stayed in the vicinity at the time.  I found the Shand to be fine to drink in, unlike The Rock along  the road which scared the shit out of me.

Just now, kingjoey said:

I knew that it had gone. Went to a fair few parties in the function suite, which was the in place to have a party if you stayed in the vicinity at the time.  I found the Shand to be fine to drink in, unlike The Rock along  the road which scared the shit out of me.

Oh Christ, The Rock. No thank you. Go past it on the bus fairly regularly. Looks about as welcoming as the Arctic Bar.

11 minutes ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Oh Christ, The Rock. No thank you. Go past it on the bus fairly regularly. Looks about as welcoming as the Arctic Bar.

I loved the Arctic Bar. Watched a fair bit of the 1978 World Cup in there. But went back to it for the first time in decades about 2 years ago and it was a sad, depressing place.

13 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:
13 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:
I always thought the line was "looks like London Planetarium".

Yes, looks like you're absolutely right! I've had that wrong for years.

No, it was the name of a Gillingham fanzine: 

moore.jpg.0912a5b8e3ab8abb07da71ed5bce6f7e.jpg

6 hours ago, paulbrucerick said:

The recent Hampden chat got me thinking of my favourite Scotland game.

These two are probably tied. Both games at the old terraced Hampden too.

article-0-0027545300000258-979_468x286.jpg

Ally-McCoist.jpg

Agreed - two wonderful games.  Mo Johnstone scoring the first in the 2-0 win v France, and McCoist scoring in the 1-1 draw with Norway that qualified us.  Great days 🙂

1 minute ago, DiegoDiego said:

I was quite young at the time of that game and established the fact in my mind that France = shite at football. I was incredulous when they won in '98.

They had just won Euro 84 and really unlucky to lose in the World Cup semi-final in 86.  Which shows what a good result that was for us.  But yes, they did lose their way for a few years after that.