A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

Ye, also same night as rangers v Bayern in Cup winners cup semi. Think there was over 75,000 at Celtic park and over 80,000 at ibrox that night.  
Correct, I remember it as if it was 49 years ago. Whatever anyone thinks of the OF, and don't get me started...., for two teams from one city to be contesting the semi-finals of Europe's then premier tournaments was really quite something. These were the days when failure to at least reach the QF's for the Old Firm was regarded as a disaster. Great times to witness.

Sticking with Kilmarnock and big Cup Final crowds. 136,274 watched the 1952 Final and apparently Dundee losing 0-4 was a shock result. So Kilmarnock, William lifted the Cup for Motherwell. Motherwell did go on to win it a second time unlike their opponents.

image.thumb.jpeg.3d2da932b14373aebe91132e0f91daa7.jpeg

Kilmarnock vs East Fife Cup Final 1938. 85000 there 92500 for the replay which East Fife won 4-2.
image.png.d91a1b30f2fa6956f9bec1823cd048d8.png
You know how there's the famous minutes of the Queen's Park meeting where they decide to build the biggest football stadium in the world, well does it mention which idiot then said "oh and let's put a running track around it"? If so, how difficult would it be to track down a living descendant in order to bestow a posthumous slap in the face upon?

3 hours ago, Eednud said:

Partick Thistle v Motherwell at Firhill as the Jags in change strip. Would this be 1969/70? 

image.jpeg.e7357234e03371de3ce0f404fd987ca8.jpeg

Roxburgh was a teacher at my primary school at the time, although he never took the team because of his commitments on a Saturday. 

Peter Weir and Alex McLeish played for the school team that year. 

20 hours ago, Eednud said:

No but I think the Christmas Day games were mainly pre WW1.

The last full card of Christmas Day fixtures was in 1971. Of course Dundee couldn't play Third Lanark  by then, and had to  settle for a 0-0 draw with St Johnstone.

2 hours ago, Wildrover said:

Absolutely incredible the crowds in these old photos

Spot on , but I was at the u - 19 (?)  ( unless you were Saudi Arabian ) q/s final match at Tynecastle whenever , when the match was held up for half an hour approx. to let the crowd in. Lots of families iirc

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
9 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:
I'm sure Roxburgh was a Falkirk player in 69/70 when we won Division 2.

Aye....I seem to remember Falkirk visiting Boghead that season and the Bairns stikeforce was two future Scotland managers, Ferguson and Roxburgh - would that be correct ?

That's correct yes.

Craig Brown was around 3 or 4 years previously too.

4 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I assume tens of thousands of Glaswegians just attended these big games habitually back then, regardless of who was playing? 

Yes - football was a lot cheaper then, less tribal – and I believe that even cup finals were pay at the gate for the enclosures. So you'd get a lot of supporters just turning up for the event.

Edited by Mr Heliums