A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

13 hours ago, Drewmc said:

I think he was sacked before the season started and the singing referred to happened when he was at Anfield managing Derby County....his next job after Manchester United. 

Thanks for helping me out there Drewmc ........ that sounds more like it ........ my bad memory letting me down there (but to be fair it was 40 years ago!).

My pal was a bit of a lad as all Scousers are but he knew his football.  When he came up to Glasgow I took him to a Celtic v Real Madrid European cup tie, 75,000 there that night and he was impressed - Celtic beat Real 2-0 that night - Laurie Cunningham (ex West Brom/England winger) was playing.  I remember being impressed by Real's technical ability on the ball and even more so by their movement off the ball which had Celtic mesmerised in the first half until Celtic put two past them second half.  Think Real won 3-0 at the Bernabeu in the second leg though.

Anyway, sad to hear of Docherty's passing - one of the games great characters.

12 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Thanks for helping me out there Drewmc ........ that sounds more like it ........ my bad memory letting me down there (but to be fair it was 40 years ago!).

My pal was a bit of a lad as all Scousers are but he knew his football.  When he came up to Glasgow I took him to a Celtic v Real Madrid European cup tie, 75,000 there that night and he was impressed - Celtic beat Real 2-0 that night - Laurie Cunningham (ex West Brom/England winger) was playing.  I remember being impressed by Real's technical ability on the ball and even more so by their movement off the ball which had Celtic mesmerised in the first half until Celtic put two past them second half.  Think Real won 3-0 at the Bernabeu in the second leg though.

Anyway, sad to hear of Docherty's passing - one of the games great characters.

Was at that game too. Laurie Cunningham was absolutely magnificent that night. It was a fantastic occasion. I got home minus my glasses which were lost in the bedlam of the jungle after our second goal. In the second leg George McLuskey was through one on one with the score still 0 0 but fluffed his lines. Celtic had been the better team up to that point. That seemed to galvanise Real and they took control and scored 3. 

2 minutes ago, Drewmc said:

Was at that game too. Laurie Cunningham was absolutely magnificent that night. It was a fantastic occasion. I got home minus my glasses which were lost in the bedlam of the jungle after our second goal. In the second leg George McLuskey was through one on one with the score still 0 0 but fluffed his lines. Celtic had been the better team up to that point. That seemed to galvanise Real and they took control and scored 3. 

Yes, great game.  First half I thought Real were bossing it, but when the first goal went in in the second half you could almost see the Real players resolve buckle at the noise from the terraces.  Trying to remember who scored for Celtic in the first leg ...... Harry Hood perhaps?

27 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Yes, great game.  First half I thought Real were bossing it, but when the first goal went in in the second half you could almost see the Real players resolve buckle at the noise from the terraces.  Trying to remember who scored for Celtic in the first leg ...... Harry Hood perhaps?

George McLuskey and Johnnie Doyle. 

15 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

January (0-1) or November (1-0)?

ETA given our strip is predominately white it is the November game.

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1996&GameID=199611160

It's the game Saints won 1-0. IIRC we threw everything at you after going 1-0 down, with Peter Cormack Junior getting sent off for an off the ball thing.

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

Away.

Harry Hood had long come and gone as a player for us by the time of the tie you refer to.  He had yet to pop up briefly as our manager though.

11 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Away.

Harry Hood had long come and gone as a player for us by the time of the tie you refer to.  He had yet to pop up briefly as our manager though.

Yeah, guess so - that game must have been 79 or 80 or thereabouts.

My old man wasn't into football otherwise East Fife would have been his team. He was a laddie when that team won the League Cup and he told me once he could remember packed trains full of East Fife fans going from Buckhaven to Kirkcaldy for the derby against Raith.

20 hours ago, Drewmc said:

Wasn't Laurie Cunningham's first game in Glasgow though. That would have been in 1976.

He scored the only goal that night.

Hate to say it but he was horribly racially abused by some of our fans. ( think there were one or two others in the Orient team as well, Vince Hillaire?)  Might have been the 70s and ignorance and all that but terrible anyway.

2041487446_PTFCVOrient1976.PNG.30d3e2279743787ebe37ce37d7c6d47c.PNG