A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

14 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Celtic Park in 1960.

75% of the ground is uncovered. The Main Stand roof doesn't cover the enclosure, the Jungle has yet to receive its double pitched roof and the East terrace is completely exposed.

Image may contain: stadium, sky and outdoor

I think you can just about make out a car behind where the jungle was. I know it used to be a road. Is it still a public thoroughfare? I remember coming out of the Scotland v Ireland international and not feeling very safe as it was quite congested 

5 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Denis Law, Dave Mackay, John White, Bob Wilson and others all played for the Football League, yep.

Against the Irish League in 1960 the Football League fielded 3 Scots (Law, Mackay, White)... 2 Northern Irish (Blanchflower, McIlroy)... 1 Welsh (Cliff Jones)... 1 West German (Trautman)!

Law never played for the Football League against the Scottish League, but he did represent both Scotland and the Italian League against the Scottish League.

Aye, you can pick a lot up for buttons (Footbal League and 1960s/1970s particularly) - but some of the others only come up pretty rarely (especially the Irish). There are around 200 and I'm only missing about 10... mainly 1940s and LofI v IL games. Some have never come-up; others have but for silly money.

Maybe there wasn't a programme issued?

Do you scour eBay or deal direct with dealers? Some programmes are a ludicrous price e.g. Aberdeen v Manchester United Friendly 1950 £2,495, Spurs 1960/61 (Double season) complete set H&A £3,450 (although I suppose if you bought them all individually it might come to more), Manchester United v Wolves (postponed - Munich disaster) 1958 £5,895, I've seen Dons homes from the 1950s go for well over £100, ( maybe that's not dear in the opinion of some folk).

54 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Maybe there wasn't a programme issued?

Do you scour eBay or deal direct with dealers? Some programmes are a ludicrous price e.g. Aberdeen v Manchester United Friendly 1950 £2,495, Spurs 1960/61 (Double season) complete set H&A £3,450 (although I suppose if you bought them all individually it might come to more), Manchester United v Wolves (postponed - Munich disaster) 1958 £5,895, I've seen Dons homes from the 1950s go for well over £100, ( maybe that's not dear in the opinion of some folk).

To be precise: there were 182 programmes issued for inter-league matches from 1945 to 1977 (and at least 6 pirates). I'm only missing 11... None were issued for Scottish League v League of Ireland in 1952; Northern Ireland v Irish League in 1956; Scotland v Scottish League in 1959, 1960, 1963, 1964 and 1965; and League of Ireland v Irish League in 1960.

Mainly get them on Ebay - also a few key dealers and offer sites. In my experience: if you are prepared to bide your time, and aren't overly picky about condition, you will eventually pick up almost anything post-war for a reasonable price (single figures or low double figures)... You would get there a lot quicker if you had lots of cash to burn (high double figures or three figures). Provided the cover is OK my preference is actually for copies that are written on. Not only do they go cheaper - but you get team alterations, subs, scorers, attendances. You do get a lot of overpriced junk sat on Ebay under 'Buy-it-Now'.

Suspect it's different collecting a single club. You might be talking 2 or 3 thousand programmes over 50-60yrs, some will be rare, and if a big club there will be competition for those.

Edited by HibeeJibee

4 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

To be precise: there were 182 programmes issued for inter-league matches from 1945 to 1977 (and at least 6 pirates). I'm only missing 11... None were issued for Scottish League v League of Ireland in 1952; Northern Ireland v Irish League in 1956; Scotland v Scottish League in 1959, 1960, 1963, 1964 and 1965; and League of Ireland v Irish League in 1960.

Mainly get them on Ebay - also a few key dealers and offer sites. In my experience: if you are prepared to bide your time, and aren't overly picky about condition, you will eventually pick up almost anything post-war for a reasonable price (single figures or low double figures)... You would get there a lot quicker if you had lots of cash to burn (high double figures or three figures).
Provided the cover is OK my preference is actually for copies that are written on. Not only do they go cheaper - but you get team alterations, subs, scorers, attendances.

You do get a lot of overpriced junk sat on Ebay under 'Buy-it-Now'.

Suspect it's different collecting a single club. You might be talking 2 or 3 thousand programmes over 50-60yrs, some will be rare, and if a big club there will be competition for those.

That's very good.

I'm starting to realise that...

Edited by Jacksgranda

3 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

By the same artist. Derek Whiteford and Kenny Dalglish run away laughing after having done something terrible to Peter Latchford. Willie McCulloch looks on shocked. Willie was the last player to wear a monocle...and have an aeroplane drawn on his shorts...probably for luck.b5df2db1d5299e559eb56b91b1f83d76.jpg

Is it really a plane though, or is he just pleased to see them?

On a similar plane, there is an infamous match programme from a Scottish Cup Semi Final which features Bobby Connor's [censored] popping out of his shorts. I think the 1994 game at Hampden which was a draw, United won the replay and went on to vanquish "them" in the Final.

I was at the game and have/had the programme, but it's marooned at my Dad's (or binned in a clearout!) so I can't provide evidence.

EDIT - I just found a link to the programme. Look if you dare. https://www.google.com/search?q=Aberdeen+Dundee+United+semi+final+1994+programme&client=ms-android-huawei-rev1&prmd=niv&sxsrf=ALeKk01PyBgh1i096JvIRVJyxuKkWTjsSg:1609172062179&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwji6peJifHtAhVIeMAKHcvXAMoQ_AUoAnoECAMQAg&biw=360&bih=660#imgrc=dAeXIkrFz75nXM

1 hour ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

On a similar plane, there is an infamous match programme from a Scottish Cup Semi Final which features Bobby Connor's [censored] popping out of his shorts. I think the 1994 game at Hampden which was a draw, United won the replay and went on to vanquish "them" in the Final.

I was at the game and have/had the programme, but it's marooned at my Dad's (or binned in a clearout!) so I can't provide evidence.

EDIT - I just found a link to the programme. Look if you dare. https://www.google.com/search?q=Aberdeen+Dundee+United+semi+final+1994+programme&client=ms-android-huawei-rev1&prmd=niv&sxsrf=ALeKk01PyBgh1i096JvIRVJyxuKkWTjsSg:1609172062179&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwji6peJifHtAhVIeMAKHcvXAMoQ_AUoAnoECAMQAg&biw=360&bih=660#imgrc=dAeXIkrFz75nXM

Cock o' the North and no mistake

1 hour ago, Lurkst said:

NINTCHDBPICT000580745082.jpg

Dundee United's Pat Gardner deals with a pitch invader during the 1974 Scottish Cup final. 

Bizarrely two dogs held the game up in each half.

There was a fox got on the pitch during a Celtic v Aberdeen game in the 1990s which inspired Michael Marra to write the song "Reynard in Paradise". Or so he said 

Except... A fox did get on the pitch for a Celtic game.. but it was against Kilmarnock in March 1994. Celts for Change urged a boycott against the old Celtic board and their crowd estimate was 8,500 with the club figure being 10,000.

I do have vague memories of listening to Sportsound that night and hearing of the fox running onto the pitch. 

6 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

There was a fox got on the pitch during a Celtic v Aberdeen game in the 1990s which inspired Michael Marra to write the song "Reynard in Paradise". Or so he said 

Except... A fox did get on the pitch for a Celtic game.. but it was against Kilmarnock in March 1994. Celts for Change urged a boycott against the old Celtic board and their crowd estimate was 8,500 with the club figure being 10,000.

I do have vague memories of listening to Sportsound that night and hearing of the fox running onto the pitch. 

A unique occasion......as in the ‘old board’ at Celtic upping an attendance figure.

On 23/12/2020 at 00:52, HibeeJibee said:

Scotland B - and what looks like their dentist - lineup before our first ever B international, against France Espoirs ("the Hopes") on Remembrance Day 1952.

Tommy Ledgerwood Scotland B Team Taken sometime in Toulouse, on 11  November, 1952. Tommy Ledgerwood - Coldstream History Society

It finished 0-0 in Toulouse before 19,649 or 25,000 (reports vary).

Tommy Docherty noticeable back left; Willie Ormond front right.

Just popped in today so I hope no one else has recognised Ian McMillan in an Airdrie  jacket.

2 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I was at that game when McGillivray gave Celtic a dubious free-kick in the last minute, which they scored from.  Last time I went to a league match at Parkhead until 2018 due to repeated bias/incompetence of Scottish referees.

4 hours ago, Lurkst said:

NINTCHDBPICT000580745082.jpg

Dundee United's Pat Gardner deals with a pitch invader during the 1974 Scottish Cup final. 

Bizarrely two dogs held the game up in each half.

Uddingston's top restauranter in the no.8 shorts there.

And Sky TVs Andy Gray and future Motherwell manager David Hay in the background.