A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

12 hours ago, tamthebam said:

IMG_20201107_230827412.thumb.jpg.04a80e98ad863015f730e0beb103f6dd.jpg

Meadowbank Thistle, 1980.

Willie MacFarlane was the manager, Terry Christie a mere assistant.

Tom Hendrie is in the team as is John Jobson, brother of The Skids' Richard.

Terry C or the poison dwarf as we called him in staff games, jeez he’d do anything to win. Tam looking like somebody’s stolen his scone.

On 10/11/2020 at 20:14, tamthebam said:

IMG_20201107_230827412.thumb.jpg.04a80e98ad863015f730e0beb103f6dd.jpg

Meadowbank Thistle, 1980.

Willie MacFarlane was the manager, Terry Christie a mere assistant.

Tom Hendrie is in the team as is John Jobson, brother of The Skids' Richard.

Now this is much more enjooyable than listening to Accies get pumped.

So I'm going to guess Jobbo's brother is 3rd from right back row with the tache.

A close relative of Des Bremner appears to have secured a berth in the squad too.

2 hours ago, Academically Deficient said:

Now this is much more enjooyable than listening to Accies get pumped.

So I'm going to guess Jobbo's brother is 3rd from right back row with the tache.

A close relative of Des Bremner appears to have secured a berth in the squad too.

Correct identifing Jobbo.

If you're referring to the player in the back row 3rd from left as Des Brenner then that is Walter "Culture Man" Boyd, a fine defender in his own right.

On 20/10/2020 at 21:27, Ken Fitlike said:

Ure was one of the ‘brainy’ players.... I also recall Jim Craig and John Cushley being ‘class swots’....

Surely Quizball was the first time the phrase ‘route one’ was ever used...

Was Jim Craig not also a qualified dentist or doctor? Clearly a bright lad. I remember him being sharp on a TV quiz game, must have been Quizball but really couldn't remember the name till I saw this post. Don't know if he ever practised dentistry, assume he must have went full-time pro football immediately after graduating. 

Can't think of that many players who were graduates, must have been a fair few over the years - Brian Hall and Steve Highway at Liverpool perhaps? 

On 10/11/2020 at 15:15, Ken Fitlike said:

The peak moment of Scottish Fitba banter was Big Doug pretending to be going through a warm up routine, but actually just contemptuously waggling his arse at the jungle....

I remember an overweight Andy Goram playing for QoS in a cup tie at Palmerston v Aberdeen at the end of his playing days. He naturally was getting dogs abuse from the Dandies support so when the ball was in the other half he wanders over to the side the Dons fans were on turns round and points to his arse, much to the amusement of the home fans. 

Mind you, this is the same Andy Goram that went walkabout on the edge of the area playing for QoS v Arbroath in the league around that time .... a young Arbroath winger looks up, sees him off his line and lobs the ball over AG's head into the net from the halfway line...... and we were rumoured to be paying The Goalie £1k/game..... money well spent, eh?  Brilliant. 👍

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

Was Jim Craig not also a qualified dentist or doctor? Clearly a bright lad. I remember him being sharp on a TV quiz game, must have been Quizball but really couldn't remember the name till I saw this post. Don't know if he ever practised dentistry, assume he must have went full-time pro football immediately after graduating. 

Can't think of that many players who were graduates, must have been a fair few over the years - Brian Hall and Steve Highway at Liverpool perhaps? 

Alan Cousin, Alan Gordon and Donald Ford maybe?

SATURDAY, MAY 12th, 2018 - COWDENBEATH 3-2 COVE RANGERS (SPFL LEAGUE TWO PLAYOFF SECOND LEG)

Football by train. A new ground. A trip abroad to Fife. Played in a unique venue on a beautiful day. Five goals, almost as many red cards. Cove making an absolutely stunning, rip-roaring arse of themselves at full time and having to come crawling back north to spend another season dicking about the Highland League. Sunshine. An entire afternoon of broken down or cancelled trains that left me stuck in Cowdenbeath watching Octopussy in Partners, before finally getting back to Aberdeen for ten to midnight, a full eight hours after the ground staff chased everyone out to let the stock cars in. The sooner we get back to this kind of thing, the better. 

This three also enjoyed their day out.2018051201.JPG.6ffd2b5b0b78cdad7594a79904b6355a.JPG

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

SATURDAY, MAY 12th, 2018 - COWDENBEATH 3-2 COVE RANGERS (SPFL LEAGUE TWO PLAYOFF SECOND LEG)

Football by train. A new ground. A trip abroad to Fife. Played in a unique venue on a beautiful day. Five goals, almost as many red cards. Cove making an absolutely stunning, rip-roaring arse of themselves at full time and having to come crawling back north to spend another season dicking about the Highland League. Sunshine. An entire afternoon of broken down or cancelled trains that left me stuck in Cowdenbeath watching Octopussy in Partners, before finally getting back to Aberdeen for ten to midnight, a full eight hours after the ground staff chased everyone out to let the stock cars in. The sooner we get back to this kind of thing, the better. 

This three also enjoyed their day out.2018051201.JPG.6ffd2b5b0b78cdad7594a79904b6355a.JPG

Life seems to have taken a turn for the worse for Gary Glitter in the middle.

Alex Cameron presents George Connolly with the football writers player of the year award in 1972 with Bobby Murdoch looking on.

I'm actually good pals with George's son David, a couple of years ago he asked me to refit a radiator in his house that had had come away from the wall, it was a big heavy one so, as he was working that day he said his dad would give me a hand lifting it, I remember feeling equally surreal and starstruck at a Celtic legend giving me a hand with a job, we sat and spoke for a wee bit and always remember how he referred to his manager as 'Mr Stein', decades later he still held him in the upmost respect, by all accounts one of the finest players of his generation lost to the game in his mid 20's due to his personal demons, absolute diamond of a guy by the way. 

IMG_20201113_183422.jpg

5 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

I presume you mean full time players. There would have been a fair few part timers with degrees- for example Terry Christie was a Bachelor of Science (and still is)

That same Celtic Quizball team had the other end of the spectrum. When Willie Wallace was asked what is a Garryowen he replied deadpan 'The racing tipster in the Daily Record'.