A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

On 31/10/2020 at 12:31, tamthebam said:

I remember watching the Final in the Sports Union at Stirling Uni. It was billed as "The Family Final" or some such twee pish 

When Killie went 1-0 up I remember an angry Falkirk fan shouting "Come on Falkirk, f*ck this Family Final shite and get right f*cking stuck into them!!"

Falkirk were robbed , of a legitimate equaliser

He would have got worse

1 hour ago, ewan14 said:

Was it he who said Docherty was a great international manager , but a lousy club one ?

Docherty ended up suing Morgan for comments he made about him in his autobiography once he retired, to say there is no love lost between those two is putting it mildly. 

9 hours ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

SUNDAY, APRIL 11th, 2010 - ABERDEEN 0-16 GLASGOW CITY (SCOTTISH WOMENS PREMIER LEAGUE)

Back in days of yore before FemBall became popular and teams were still being punted out to craphouse junior pitches to play games with no linesmen and referees so uninterested they may as well not have bothered either, this trip north for Glasgow City proved particularly fruitful against a youthful Aberdeen side. Glasgow City were at this point a couple of seasons into their bossing of the women's game domestically, and would go on to win the SWPL that season and every season since. Regretfully, I didn't make notes of the teams, so I've no idea if any of the Glasgow (or Aberdeen) players went on to bigger things.

1104201006.JPG

That looks like Jane Ross, currently with Everton, and a Scotland international. 

The Aberdeen team might have had Rachael Small in it, now Mrs Martin Boyle, and a good player in her own right.

11 hours ago, Flybhoy said:
12 hours ago, ewan14 said:

Was it he who said Docherty was a great international manager , but a lousy club one ?

Docherty ended up suing Morgan for comments he made about him in his autobiography once he retired, to say there is no love lost between those two is putting it mildly. 

I can't remember what it's called but there is an often aired documentary about the decline of the Busby era Manchester United where Morgan is one of the key contributors. Morgan looks like an old bloke in drag and he's scathing in his opinion of Docherty.

17 hours ago, Waspie said:

Certainly was, Sauchie was a mining village. Another top player who emerged from Sauchie, Jimmy Bauchop, was a miner before he was a professional footballer. 

There is a good piece here by Aidan Smith where Morgan explains how he was set to join his male relatives as a miner before he got his break as a footballer. I think the Devon pit closed around the mid 70s.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/international/aidan-smiths-saturday-interview-willie-morgan-cross-inside-my-foot-was-once-dark-blue-moon-2998707?r=7001

The Hansen brothers are also from Sauchie. Alan is well known but John was a great player. A knee injury prevented a move to England. That and being a contemporary of McGrain and Jardine limited him to 2 caps and ended his career early.

On ‎31‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 11:08, Jacksgranda said:

I didn't mind Nobby Stiles, seemed an ordinary bloke by all accounts, none of this "I won the World Cup" which I could imagine some of the rest of them saying. (Mind you, if I'd won the World Cup, I might have let people know about it.)

Two World Wars, One World Cup.

1 hour ago, Northboy said:

I can't remember what it's called but there is an often aired documentary about the decline of the Busby era Manchester United where Morgan is one of the key contributors. Morgan looks like an old bloke in drag and he's scathing in his opinion of Docherty.

Willie Morgan was on BBC Breakfast yesterday talking about Bobby Charlton, after it was confirmed that he had dementia. Morgan has the same hairstyle that he did back in the 70s, except that it’s now pure white. Credit to him for that.

1 hour ago, thisal said:

The Hansen brothers are also from Sauchie. Alan is well known but John was a great player. A knee injury prevented a move to England. That and being a contemporary of McGrain and Jardine limited him to 2 caps and ended his career early.

A lot of professional players came out of Clackmannanshire in the early 20th century. 

I did a series of articles on the aforementioned Jimmy Bauchop and his brother Willie for the Alloa programme a couple of seasons ago. Very long as it was about 10 pieces but if anyone is interested it can be found here. Potential cure for insomnia if nothing else. 

http://waspshistory.blogspot.com/2019/10/the-bauchop-brothers-of-sauchie.html?m=1

7 hours ago, Northboy said:

Too Good to go Down.

Was on BT Sport a couple of years ago, John Cooper Clarke narrates it, Morgan not the only one who didn't have a kind word to say about Tommy Docherty, his fellow Scots Denis Law and Jim McCalliog also left him without a name  

Peter Latchford collects a cross at Pittodrie as Celtic defend an Aberdeen attack in the late 1970's, Joe Harper and Andy Lynch also in the picture, can't quite make out the other players, cracking view of the unusual 'Post Box Stand' in the background. 

IMG_20201102_183957.jpg

2 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Peter Latchford collects a cross at Pittodrie as Celtic defend an Aberdeen attack in the late 1970's, Joe Harper and Andy Lynch also in the picture, can't quite make out the other players, cracking view of the unusual 'Post Box Stand' in the background. 

IMG_20201102_183957.jpg

Other Aberdeen player is Willie Garner, and the Celtic player may be Paul Wilson?