A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

I didn't mind Nobby Stiles, seemed an ordinary bloke by all accounts, none of this "I won the World Cup" which I could imagine some of the rest of them saying. (Mind you, if I'd won the World Cup, I might have let people know about it.)

I didn't mind Nobby Stiles, seemed an ordinary bloke by all accounts, none of this "I won the World Cup" which I could imagine some of the rest of them saying. (Mind you, if I'd won the World Cup, I might have let people know about it.)

We won the Midlothian Primary Schools League in 1990 and I still go on about it. We beat Sacred Heart in the final at Whitehill Welfare, coming from 3-1 down late in the game to win 4-3. I scored two goals and had a third chopped off for dangerous play (overhead kick*). In many respects it was the greatest day of my life.

Christ only knows what I'd be like if I'd won the World Cup! (Our team would have beaten England easily. One of our players went on to win the league in England**.)

Our team were tremendous that year. Besides a 6-0 defeat to Loretto in the cup, match fixing suspected cause, we beat all comers, particularly those pig-dogs from our bitterest enemies at Langlaw. One of their players, who went on to play for Manchester United, cried that day because my friend Alistair metted out a severe lesson around how to be a midfield tough guy.

* Was not dangerous. Put a bit of a sour taste on it.

** Berwick Rangers, Seaside League Winners 2007.

14 hours ago, Lurkst said:

A very surreal experience, 20 years after my first Killie game, with barely a sniff of silverware in that time. A lot of us felt like Monty at full time...

Monty-Easter-Road-1024x667.jpg

And at that point we thought we would be playing Celtic in the final...

I remember watching the Final in the Sports Union at Stirling Uni. It was billed as "The Family Final" or some such twee pish 

When Killie went 1-0 up I remember an angry Falkirk fan shouting "Come on Falkirk, f*ck this Family Final shite and get right f*cking stuck into them!!"

6 hours ago, Academically Deficient said:

Saw Willie Morgan on telly talking about Nobby Stiles, so thought I'd share this.

Standard stuff. Likes lobster, Paul Newman, Ali McGraw and Elvis.

Lovely strip though.

20201031_121339.jpg

I wonder why he thought he would be a miner if not a footballer.

20 hours ago, Lurkst said:

A very surreal experience, 20 years after my first Killie game, with barely a sniff of silverware in that time. A lot of us felt like Monty at full time...

Monty-Easter-Road-1024x667.jpg

And at that point we thought we would be playing Celtic in the final...

That's true. I recall coming out of Easter Road thinking the defeat at least spared us of yet another final defeat to Celtic. Was more fuming when Falkirk beat Celtic at Ibrox than I was at the end of our semi-final.

13 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

That's true. I recall coming out of Easter Road thinking the defeat at least spared us of yet another final defeat to Celtic. Was more fuming when Falkirk beat Celtic at Ibrox than I was at the end of our semi-final.

The only thing I ever thought leaving Easter Road was, how the fůck am I going to get over that bridge.

On 31/10/2020 at 12:16, Academically Deficient said:

Saw Willie Morgan on telly talking about Nobby Stiles, so thought I'd share this.

Standard stuff. Likes lobster, Paul Newman, Ali McGraw and Elvis.

Lovely strip though.

20201031_121339.jpg 

Not quite all standard stuff.....an unusually barbed comment aimed at Tommy Docherty.

SUNDAY, APRIL 11th, 2010 - ABERDEEN 0-16 GLASGOW CITY (SCOTTISH WOMENS PREMIER LEAGUE)

Back in days of yore before FemBall became popular and teams were still being punted out to craphouse junior pitches to play games with no linesmen and referees so uninterested they may as well not have bothered either, this trip north for Glasgow City proved particularly fruitful against a youthful Aberdeen side. Glasgow City were at this point a couple of seasons into their bossing of the women's game domestically, and would go on to win the SWPL that season and every season since. Regretfully, I didn't make notes of the teams, so I've no idea if any of the Glasgow (or Aberdeen) players went on to bigger things.

1104201006.JPG

On 01/11/2020 at 06:50, Academically Deficient said:

His grew up in Sauchie according to Wikipedia, maybe it had something to do with that? Cant recall if there was a coalfield there.

Certainly was, Sauchie was a mining village. Another top player who emerged from Sauchie, Jimmy Bauchop, was a miner before he was a professional footballer. 

There is a good piece here by Aidan Smith where Morgan explains how he was set to join his male relatives as a miner before he got his break as a footballer. I think the Devon pit closed around the mid 70s.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/international/aidan-smiths-saturday-interview-willie-morgan-cross-inside-my-foot-was-once-dark-blue-moon-2998707?r=7001

Edited by Waspie