A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

29 minutes ago, Boring Bob said:

HB you have broken the golden rule of secret agentry, admitting that you are an agent and giving away your identity. Report immediately to Mr. Waverley for a de-briefing and watch out for the T.H.R.U.S.H. agents who are closing in on you.

They managed to infiltrate UNCLE hq in the first affair but Napeleon sorted them out

7 hours ago, ewan14 said:

Quizball is the series that made Ian Ure a legend in englandshire !?

He was fucking shite for St. Mirren.

Quite possibly the only player we've ever signed direct from Man Utd for a fee, the story goes that Man U were initially willing to let him go on a free transfer but (apparently) back then a free was seen as a great ignominy and someone, somewhere convinced Saints to pay £5K for him.

His name is an anagram of A Urine.

48 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I didn't know Donald Findlay played for Ayr Parkhouse but there he is in the back row

Ha, I knew when I posted it lookalikes would be pointed out!

47 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Nice strip.

They look like a victorian detective agency!

Watching the episode of Quizball! posted earlier introduced me to a famous Fifer I had no knowledge of, and I'd be surprised if many P&Bers under 55 will have either.

Nottingham Forest centre half Bob McKinlay. The club's leading appearance maker, 614 league games in 18 years including an incredible run of 265 consecutive matches.

HFErj4B.jpg

Unfortunately for him Ian Ure knew more about meteorology though.

On 19/10/2020 at 22:37, Lurkst said:

Great archive! 👍

I actually discovered the photo of the Celtic team while searching to see if there was any photographic evidence of the Falkirk team featuring Andy Roxburgh, Alex Ferguson and Chic Murray.

Some of the celeb fan choices seemed incredibly random. Dunfermline winning the very last edition with Jon Pertwee on their team 😮 ???

Magnus Magnusson was apparently asked years later why he was in the Kilmarnock team as a fan, and the only reason was that someone requested him to do it.

Aye , the Falkirk v Everton tie was packed with football and showbiz royalty ....Ed “Stewpot” Stewart being the Everton guest fan.

There’s a mention of Stuart Hall latterly being the referee/presenter. My old man was old school,  in that he always supported every Scottish team against foreign opponents , including Quizball.   Long before Stuart Hall was outed as a nonce , my dad detested him purely because of his performance as the ref in a Quizball tie between Celtic and English opponents.  For years afterwards until he kicked the bucket , my old man could never see or hear Hall on tv or radio without mentioning ,with genuine bitterness, that Hall ,as the Quizball ref, had cheated Celtic.

15 hours ago, ewan14 said:

Indeed , forgot about that one

He was a very good friend of Kenneth Williams (most familiar to youngsters as a gif/meme these days) and is about the only person not slagged off in the double-entendre legend's diary.

Some achievement when you consider it was a big one etc...

8 hours ago, A96 said:

Aye , the Falkirk v Everton tie was packed with football and showbiz royalty ....Ed “Stewpot” Stewart being the Everton guest fan.

There’s a mention of Stuart Hall latterly being the referee/presenter. My old man was old school,  in that he always supported every Scottish team against foreign opponents , including Quizball.   Long before Stuart Hall was outed as a nonce , my dad detested him purely because of his performance as the ref in a Quizball tie between Celtic and English opponents.  For years afterwards until he kicked the bucket , my old man could never see or hear Hall on tv or radio without mentioning ,with genuine bitterness, that Hall ,as the Quizball ref, had cheated Celtic.

I think they should let him out a few months early for that.

13 minutes ago, Academically Deficient said:

He was a very good friend of Kenneth Williams (most familiar to youngsters as a gif/meme these days) and is about the only person not slagged off in the double-entendre legend's diary.

Some achievement when you consider it was a big one etc...

See the source image

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 23rd, 2010 - FORMARTINE UNITED 7-1 ROTHES

Stuart McKay of Formartine United has had just about enough of this shit, thank you, and pauses to catch his breath as Formartine run Rothes (and themselves) ragged on a bog of a pitch in deepest, darkest Aberdeenshire, ten years ago this week. 

2310201029.JPG.5ae886ed2c5ae1c2f9d9684b4c76041f.JPG

20 hours ago, ewan14 said:

Gordon Jackson , performed in an Orson Welles play never mind Hudson and Cowley

and Mutiny on the Bounty

and he was in The Prime of Ms J. B.

When I was at Glasgow Uni I remember hoovering up the tale that the medical students had been operating on the cadaver of Gordon Jackson, but discovered years later he had in fact been cremated in London.

Possibly it was a Glaswegian doppelganger?...

8 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I remembered Willie Young let a game go ahead at the Excelsior between Airdrie and Raith and the pitch looked liked that!

As long as the centre circle was fine then Willie would be ok.