A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

12 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

Great archive! 👍

I actually discovered the photo of the Celtic team while searching to see if there was any photographic evidence of the Falkirk team featuring Andy Roxburgh, Alex Ferguson and Chic Murray.

Some of the celeb fan choices seemed incredibly random. Dunfermline winning the very last edition with Jon Pertwee on their team 😮 ???

Magnus Magnusson was apparently asked years later why he was in the Kilmarnock team as a fan, and the only reason was that someone requested him to do it.

That's tremendous stuff.  I've heard of the programme but didn't realise Cowdenbeath got to play.

Were the questions football related, or was it just general knowledge?  

6 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

That's tremendous stuff.  I've heard of the programme but didn't realise Cowdenbeath got to play.

Were the questions football related, or was it just general knowledge?  

General knowledge questions.

There's an episode currently on iplayer.  No Scottish teams, but a couple of Scots featured...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p02mbcy7/quiz-ball-22121966

Gordon Jackson, Jimmy Logan and Jon Pertwee- the Pars were the Thesps' XI by the look of things!

I wonder what a modern Scottish version would be like- guests Irvine Welsh for Hibs, Frankie Boyle for Albion Rovers, Satan for Clyde...

10 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Gordon Jackson, Jimmy Logan and Jon Pertwee- the Pars were the Thesps' XI by the look of things!

I wonder what a modern Scottish version would be like- guests Irvine Welsh for Hibs, Frankie Boyle for Albion Rovers, Satan for Clyde...

Have we upset you? Forever having wee digs......

Whatever it is, you should try and move on 🙂

Think Gordon Jackson must have won the golden boot for 1966 including a hat trick in the semi and final.

Hats off to old Hudson and Cowley.

Funny that Celtic with Jim Craig ( Glasgow University graduate) was in successive winning teams and Thistle with Dennis McQuade ( another Glasgow University graduate ) lost the only match they played. Typical.

On 20/10/2020 at 10:28, Dubai Jag said:

Think Gordon Jackson must have won the golden boot for 1966 including a hat trick in the semi and final.

Hats off to old Hudson and Cowley.

Funny that Celtic with Jim Craig ( Glasgow University graduate) was in successive winning teams and Thistle with Dennis McQuade ( another Glasgow University graduate ) lost the only match they played. Typical.

Gordon Jackson , performed in an Orson Welles play never mind Hudson and Cowley

and Mutiny on the Bounty

and he was in The Prime of Ms J. B.

and the legendary " Hell Drivers "

Edited by ewan14

On 19/10/2020 at 00:55, Lurkst said:

GW500H500

The Celtic team on the BBC TV show Quizball in 1970, on their way to winning the series (beating Hearts in the final).

Actor / supporter John Cairney joined the players to complete the side.

Lending their "support" is the Rangers team consisting of John Grieg, songwriter Bill Martin, Jim Baxter and Dave Smith.

Quizball is the series that made Ian Ure a legend in englandshire !?

1 hour ago, GNU_Linux said:

During the 50's & 60's Killie had sheep mascots.

nk7mgg7h79u51.png
D33d3bIWwAATbC2?format=jpg&name=900x900

First image is from a Brazil training session. The 2nd is with chairman George Barr.

I always chuckle when I see the wee boy who's chasing after the sheep instead of watching a genuinely world-class team training. Amazing to consider the kind of security that would surround the Brazil players of today in training but I bet those boys would have been able to go right up for autographs after the session.

3 hours ago, ewan14 said:

Gordon Jackson , performed in an Orson Welles play never mind Hudson and Cowley

and Mutiny on the Bounty

and he was in The Prime of Ms J. B.

Not forgetting giving himself and Richard Attenborough away in the great Escape

On 19/10/2020 at 10:33, House Bartender said:

...and me too. I was Section 2, Number Q772. But I've also long since lost my card and the full set of MfU bubblegum cards which assembled as a double picture.

Note : This is not really pertinent to the thread. Sorry.

HB you have broken the golden rule of secret agentry, admitting that you are an agent and giving away your identity. Report immediately to Mr. Waverley for a de-briefing and watch out for the T.H.R.U.S.H. agents who are closing in on you.

20 minutes ago, Boring Bob said:

HB you have broken the golden rule of secret agentry, admitting that you are an agent and giving away your identity. Report immediately to Mr. Waverley for a de-briefing and watch out for the T.H.R.U.S.H. agents who are closing in on you.

Aha! That's why I'm using the HB alias and monitoring P&B to seek out users "Big Teams".   Mr Waverly - he sits half way between Easter Road and Tynecastle. 

I'll stock up on yoghurt just in case THRUSH closes in...