A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

4 hours ago, Lurkst said:

GW500H500

The Celtic team on the BBC TV show Quizball in 1970, on their way to winning the series (beating Hearts in the final).

Actor / supporter John Cairney joined the players to complete the side.

Lending their "support" is the Rangers team consisting of John Grieg, songwriter Bill Martin, Jim Baxter and Dave Smith.

I loved Quizball. When it was on I was in my early teens and to have a quiz show with footballers on it was like a dream for me.

4 minutes ago, Eednud said:

Snap. Think I’ve still got my card.

I am so jealous. No idea what happened to mine, but I’ve got nothing left from my childhood apart from football programmes and scrapbooks. If I knew then what I know now I would have kept almost everything.

On 05/10/2020 at 20:11, Academically Deficient said:

Funnily enough we were chatting at work the other day about players Thistle lost to the OF (Glavin, Mo Johnston etc)  and those they got in the other direction. Kenny Watson was one of the to better ones in the latter category.

There was some hilarity about a guy known as Honey Monster from Celtic but cant remember his name.

Aye this was definitely Jim Slavin. I don't remember much about him except for the fact that one of my school pals thought his nickname was tremendous and used to do the honey monster voice when referencing either him in particular or the Jags in general.

3 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I am so jealous. No idea what happened to mine, but I’ve got nothing left from my childhood apart from football programmes and scrapbooks. If I knew then what I know now I would have kept almost everything.

...and me too. I was Section 2, Number Q772. But I've also long since lost my card and the full set of MfU bubblegum cards which assembled as a double picture.

Note : This is not really pertinent to the thread. Sorry.

13 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I loved Quizball. When it was on I was in my early teens and to have a quiz show with footballers on it was like a dream for me.

When Rangers were on Dave Smith was in their team and he only spoke twice - "Hullo" and "Goodbye".

1 hour ago, Flybhoy said:

Partick Thistle v Aberdeen in 1992 is abandoned at a wintry Firhill. 

IMG_20201019_122623.jpg

Match abandoned at 2-0 to Aberdeen on the Saturday. Three days later on the Tuesday, Aberdeen continued where they left off and won 7-0.

20 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

In my memory, Aberdeen on one series had a team on the programme, but I may be making that up.

You were right, I don't remember the Dons being in it, tbqh

9 minutes ago, House Bartender said:

Full Details of all the matches can be found here... scores and lineups (generally 0-4-0)

http://web.archive.org/web/20121025060912/http://www.btinternet.com/~m.d.pratesi/mp/quizballindex.html

2 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Partick Thistle v Aberdeen in 1992 is abandoned at a wintry Firhill. 

IMG_20201019_122623.jpg

I was at that match for no apparent reason.  My first ever abandoned game.  

It was the one where losing Thistle sent out one groundsman with a brush at half time to half heartedly clear the lines.  His job became harder when the head fell off his brush.  

On 05/10/2020 at 20:11, Academically Deficient said:

Funnily enough we were chatting at work the other day about players Thistle lost to the OF (Glavin, Mo Johnston etc)  and those they got in the other direction. Kenny Watson was one of the to better ones in the latter category.

There was some hilarity about a guy known as Honey Monster from Celtic but cant remember his name.

M#J#  #### went to Watford in the first instance

45 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I was at that match for no apparent reason.  My first ever abandoned game.  

It was the one where losing Thistle sent out one groundsman with a brush at half time to half heartedly clear the lines.  His job became harder when the head fell off his brush.  

Using Trigger's Broom by the sound of it.

They did a sort of Quizball revival night in Edinburgh in the late 80s. It was at the Playhouse IIRC. There was a Hibs team, a Hearts team, Meadowbank Thistle and an ex-players team.

I only mention this because Meadowbank won by beating Hearts in the Final.

2 hours ago, House Bartender said:

Full Details of all the matches can be found here... scores and lineups (generally 0-4-0)

http://web.archive.org/web/20121025060912/http://www.btinternet.com/~m.d.pratesi/mp/quizballindex.html

Great archive! 👍

I actually discovered the photo of the Celtic team while searching to see if there was any photographic evidence of the Falkirk team featuring Andy Roxburgh, Alex Ferguson and Chic Murray.

Some of the celeb fan choices seemed incredibly random. Dunfermline winning the very last edition with Jon Pertwee on their team 😮 ???

Magnus Magnusson was apparently asked years later why he was in the Kilmarnock team as a fan, and the only reason was that someone requested him to do it.

3 hours ago, House Bartender said:

That is simply magnificent. I have spent the last 15 minutes or so going through every match and remembering the vast majority of the players, managers and celebrities, proper celebrities like Jimmy Logan. Thank you House Bartender for that, pour yourself a stiff one.