A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

19 hours ago, Raidernation said:

You got a shot at home if you were drawn at home
You got a shot at home if you drew the first game away.
After that it was neutral because neither side should have an advantage.

The one I remember was Killie v Hearts in 1987. After the replay was drawn at Rugby Park either a coin was tossed or lots were drawn to decide the next venue, which was Kilmarnock once again. Hearts prevailed sadly :(

The next time a replay was drawn at Rugby Park was versus Stranraer in 1989-90 and became the first ever Scottish Cup tie to go to penalties. Of course Killie's knack of ignominious Scottish Cup firsts ensured victory for Stranraer :(

No photographic records can be found for either occasion unfortunately. 

Edited by Lurkst

15 hours ago, I am Partacus said:

Thistle v Killie in about 1980 went to four games (I think, could be wrong, could have been three) but deffo no neutral ground involved. Mo Johnston scored the winner in about the 400th minute. 

Correct - I was at all 4 games and was facing the prospect of another 30 minutes extra tine when the wee sh!te scored in the last minute.  None were at neutral venues. 

I also remember going to 3 Scottish cup ties against Clydebank round this time, with the 3rd game being at neutral Love Street, Paisley.   We lost that tie as well. 

Edited by paul wright scores
Spelling

3 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

A mazy dribble around Glasgow yesterday taking in the football grounds as a way of seeing the city.

Hampden > Lesser > Hampden Bowling Club > Cathkin > Shawfield > Velodrome > Left Cheek > Glasgow Green > Barrowlands > Oscar Marzaroli exhibition > City Centre > F&C Canal > Firhill > Kelvinbridge > Kelvingrove > SECC Tennent's Sixes > Waverley > Right Cheek > Bellahouston > Pollok Country Park > Pollok FC > Langside > Ruel St > Hampden.

An utterly delightful walk, in glorious autumnal sunshine. Burst 50,000 steps, which took me almost nine hours, including a couple of pit stops.

No doubt I've missed out some football heritage sites. For example, I could have easily detoured towards Park Gardens to pay my respects to Jim Farry, or it wouldn't have been much of a stretch to see Benburb FC.

A perfectly good way to spend an otherwise idle day off. Would recommend!

Highlight was undoubtedly Firhill which just looks magnificent when approached from canal, a route I've never taken before, affording a superb view into the stadium from the towpath. IMG_20200926_101256.jpegIMG_20200926_134211.jpegIMG_20200926_134852.jpegScreenshot_20200926_202639_com.google.android.apps.maps.jpeg

Good stuff. I'll try and get a map and work out an Edinburgh equivalent (Warning: might contain rugby but I hope not!)

17 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

The one I remember was Killie v Hearts in 1987. After the replay was drawn at Rugby Park either a coin was tossed or lots were drawn to decide the next venue, which was Kilmarnock once again. Hearts prevailed sadly :(

The next time a replay was drawn at Rugby Park was versus Stranraer in 1989-90 and became the first ever Scottish Cup tie to go to penalties. Of course Killie's knack of ignominious Scottish Cup firsts ensured victory for Stranraer :(

I was at all of them too.   It's been torture watching us in the Scottish Cup in the main since the early 70s. 

We were not only the first team to lose a Scottish Cup tie on penalties, we were the first team to lose a Scottish Cup tie  twice on penalties - can't remember off the top of my head who that was against - QotS??

5 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:
19 minutes ago, tamthebam said:
Good stuff. I'll try and get a map and work out an Edinburgh equivalent (Warning: might contain rugby but I hope not!)

Doesn't count if you don't visit Edinburgh South. Only an extra 16 miles onto the walk!!

:lol: 

I can cheat and say their spiritual home is Inch Park which is not a million miles from Edinburgh Uni's ground...

24 minutes ago, paul wright scores said:

We were not only the first team to lose a Scottish Cup tie on penalties, we were the first team to lose a Scottish Cup tie  twice on penalties - can't remember off the top of my head who that was against - QotS??

Correct. Still to win a Scottish Cup penalty shoot out as well :(

Also lost the first ever Scottish Cup tie, only team to lose the final to a team from a league below etc. etc...

In a shameless attempt to shoehorn this picture in!

First, yes and only i know, Ayrshire Scottish Cup winners to be knocked out the next year by relegation threatened, lower league, inferior opposition?

0_Ian-Ferguson-and-Paul-Agnew.jpg

Sorry @kilMARKnock, don't want to tip you over the edge!

Edited by paulbrucerick

2 hours ago, paul wright scores said:

I was at all of them too.   It's been torture watching us in the Scottish Cup in the main since the early 70s. 

If memory serves, we lost our second penalty shoot-out to Meadowbank at Rugby Park. A very young Mark Roberts missed, as did Tommy Burns.....I think!

6 hours ago, john6 said:

If memory serves, we lost our second penalty shoot-out to Meadowbank at Rugby Park. A very young Mark Roberts missed, as did Tommy Burns.....I think!

You are correct. 

Found this on the KillieFc Forum - 

06/01/90 Scottish Cup 2nd Round replay v Stranraer (H) 0-0 (Lost 3-4 on pens)

Scored: Dave McKinnon, Tom Callaghan, Willie Watters

Missed: Tommy Burns, Paul Flexney

04/02/92 Scottish Cup 3rd round replay v Meadowbank Thistle (H) 1-1 (Lost 3-4 on pens)

Scored: Tom Black, Hugh Burns, Calum Campbell

Missed: Mark Roberts, Tommy Burns

8 hours ago, john6 said:

He did.

"He's blue, he's white, his penalties are shite, Tommy Burns" was the song (I think Tommy was a good guy btw)

Thistle got f*cking Morton in the next round as we tended to do back then and lost after a replay as usual.

Incidentally in an early round in the 1991-1992 Scottish Cup was this score:

Berwick Rangers 7 Ross County 4

Just shows you how fortunes can change.

9 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Thistle got f*cking Morton in the next round as we tended to do back then and lost after a replay as usual.

Incidentally in an early round in the 1991-1992 Scottish Cup was this score:

Berwick Rangers 7 Ross County 4

Just shows you how fortunes can change.

And in only 28 years...

On 26/09/2020 at 23:28, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

I wasn't born then but this comment has enraged me. Did we f**k.

The memory of this game has clearly been passed down the generations. 

ETA: About 1.15 in

You really couldn't see a more "1970's Rangers" trio of goals.

DJ collapsing like a factory chimney in the box for a penalty,  then two lumps up the park from McCloy and Grieg.

6 hours ago, Lurkst said:

You really couldn't see a more "1970's Rangers" trio of goals.

DJ collapsing like a factory chimney in the box for a penalty,  then two lumps up the park from McCloy and Grieg.

Totally accurate 😆

What a great finisher Willie Pettigrew was though. And i think one of my favourite Accies players Bobby Graham in action there too? Some player.

On 26/09/2020 at 19:38, I am Partacus said:

Thistle v Killie in about 1980 went to four games (I think, could be wrong, could have been three) but deffo no neutral ground involved. Mo Johnston scored the winner in about the 400th minute. 

82/83

https://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=2081&team2_id=1455&teamTabs=h2h