A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

7 hours ago, lionel wickson said:

Yes. For example, Montrose played Hearts at Muirton in a quarter final second replay in 1976.

I stayed in Dundee at the time and a load of us went through to Perth for that match. Exciting stuff with Hearts just edging it 2-1  after 2-2 draws in the first two matches. 

1 hour ago, I am Partacus said:

Thistle v Killie in about 1980 went to four games (I think, could be wrong, could have been three) but deffo no neutral ground involved. Mo Johnston scored the winner in about the 400th minute. 

Maybe felt like three or four games.

Sadly it was only one game at Rugby Park.

8 hours ago, ewan14 said:

Was that after Pat Stanton scored an amazing , brilliant , wonderful diving header equaliser at Easter Road in the second game ?

8 hours ago, Tutankhamen said:

Do you remember what year it was?

Sorry , no. IIRC the first game was 2 - 2 and we lost the third game

36 minutes ago, ewan14 said:

Sorry , no. IIRC the first game was 2 - 2 and we lost the third game

Looked it up thanks, 1976.

Motherwell went on to the semi final and blew it 3-2 after being 2-0 up at halftime v Rangers. Gave up on the Scottish Cup after that and went to Ayr Utd game on cup final day followed by Tynecastle on the Monday night.

Edited by Tutankhamen
f**k the SFA

9 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Brian McClair celebrates scoring the only goal of a twice replayed Scottish Cup 3rd round tie between Celtic and Aberdeen in 1987 at neutral and rain lashed Dens Park, David Robertson and Willie Miller look less impressed.

Can older posters confirm if neutral venues were the norm for multiple replayed games before the advent of penalty kicks in the Scottish Cup? This is the only one in my lifetime I can recall. 

IMG_20200926_122722.jpg

Yes , that was how cup ties were played out before penalty shoot-outs at the end of the first replay.  I was at that game at Dens , in the enclosure in front of the main stand.  Absolutely jam packed as was the the rest of the ground.  Crowd was officially about 21K , split pretty much 50/50. Tremendous atmosphere and another example why cup semis should be held at grounds that'll be full rather than Hampden.

I was also at a midweek second replay between Peterhead and Raith Rovers at Gayfield in the mid 80s.  I think the crowd was about 10K and again, it was a cracking atmosphere. Rovers won 3-0.  I can mind their wee winger Steve Simpson was different class that night

Wasn't just the Scottish Cup either. On the way to winning the League Cup in 1976, the Dons needed a replay at Dens to beat Stirling Albion in the quarter final. The Dons had won 1-nil in the first leg at home , and lost the second leg away 1-nil.  

Edited by A96

30 minutes ago, Tutankhamen said:

Motherwell went on to the semi final and blew it 3-2 after being 2-0 up at halftime v Rangers. Gave up on the Scottish Cup after that and went to Ayr Utd game on cup final day followed by Tynecastle on the Monday night.

We didn’t blow it

9 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I've got a programme* from c.1988 for a game at Muirton Park between Arbroath and, iirc, Stenny which was a second replay.

That sort of thing must have been binned soon after as I can't remember any similar games.

*Programme= double sided b&w photocopy

The winner got a home game against Dundee United, who went on to the final after a three games tussle with Aberdeen in the semi finals.

1988.jpg

1 hour ago, Tutankhamen said:

Motherwell went on to the semi final and blew it 3-2 after being 2-0 up at halftime v Rangers. 

I wasn't born then but this comment has enraged me. Did we f**k.

The memory of this game has clearly been passed down the generations. 

ETA: About 1.15 in

Edited by Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo

13 minutes ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

I wasn't born then but this comment has enraged me. Did we f**k.

The memory of this game has clearly been passed down the generations. 

ETA: About 1.15 in

Apologies regarding saying Motherwell blew it.

44 years later and my memory iz fading from that night.

Having seen the video i now realised Motherwell collapsed.

10 hours ago, Tutankhamen said:

Maybe felt like three or four games.

Sadly it was only one game at Rugby Park.

Being a saddoe I checked the Thistle Archive site. Feb 9 1983 Rugby Park, third replay, Killie nil Thistle one. We then played three games (well two and bit) against Clyde before losing to Aberdeen. So eight games in the cup and we never even got to Hampden!

On 25/09/2020 at 19:29, Flybhoy said:

Bob Marley looking quite in awe of Dixie Deans 😀

Unsure if it's his magnificent mullet/tache combo or his penchant for Cup final hat tricks against Hibernian but the reggae legend looks starstruck.

IMG_20200925_192150.jpg

19 hours ago, ewan14 said:

Not so good at penalties v. Milan , unfortunately

Yes it looks like Bob is saying "Hey Dixie Deans superstar how many miles was it over the bar?"

20 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Brian McClair celebrates scoring the only goal of a twice replayed Scottish Cup 3rd round tie between Celtic and Aberdeen in 1987 at neutral and rain lashed Dens Park, David Robertson and Willie Miller look less impressed.

Can older posters confirm if neutral venues were the norm for multiple replayed games before the advent of penalty kicks in the Scottish Cup? This is the only one in my lifetime I can recall. 

IMG_20200926_122722.jpg

Was this a game the one mcclair scored from the penalty spot 

12 hours ago, Academically Deficient said:

On seeing this photo again, it looks as if Reggae legend Bob Marley is becoming slightly aroused at the sight of former Motherwell forward Dixie Deans.

BobMarley&theWailersUprising.jpg

As an aside would Marley have known Gil Scott Heron? If so maybe not unrealistic that he would have taken an interest!

Edited by paulbrucerick