A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

Pal of my dad's told me of being at some supporters club function years ago where the aforementioned Mr Deans was a guest, after a few shandies he got a wee bit narky about being called 'Dixie', pointing out his name was actually John and could people call him that if they didn't mind, at which point someone piped up....

"Well how come your pub is called Dixies....?"

4 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Pal of my dad's told me of being at some supporters club function years ago where the aforementioned Mr Deans was a guest, after a few shandies he got a wee bit narky about being called 'Dixie', pointing out his name was actually John and could people call him that if they didn't mind, at which point someone piped up....

"Well how come your pub is called Dixies....?"

"Ma name's John no Dixie"

On 15/09/2020 at 17:38, ScottyDee1893 said:

I'm not disputing its '73 but John Duncan, Iain Phillip, Bobby Robinson and Jimmy Wilson must have been on their summer holidays still

I see a certain Tam 'Dusty Bin' Hendrie in there...

Bob Marley looking quite in awe of Dixie Deans [emoji3]
Unsure if it's his magnificent mullet/tache combo or his penchant for Cup final hat tricks against Hibernian but the reggae legend looks starstruck.
IMG_20200925_192150.jpg.f5b4a8b0ff2538c98f0b97c2b49b889e.jpg

Could be a pic from his time in Australia as John Dixie’s t-shirt looks like it might be the Adelaide City badge from his Adelaide City NSL days (57 games, 30 goals 1977-1980) and Marley played at the Apollo in Adelaide on 20-21 April 1979.

Brian McClair celebrates scoring the only goal of a twice replayed Scottish Cup 3rd round tie between Celtic and Aberdeen in 1987 at neutral and rain lashed Dens Park, David Robertson and Willie Miller look less impressed.

Can older posters confirm if neutral venues were the norm for multiple replayed games before the advent of penalty kicks in the Scottish Cup? This is the only one in my lifetime I can recall. 

IMG_20200926_122722.jpg

Brian McClair celebrates scoring the only goal of a twice replayed Scottish Cup 3rd round tie between Celtic and Aberdeen in 1987 at neutral and rain lashed Dens Park, David Robertson and Willie Miller look less impressed.
Can older posters confirm if neutral venues were the norm for multiple replayed games before the advent of penalty kicks in the Scottish Cup? This is the only one in my lifetime I can recall. 
IMG_20200926_122722.thumb.jpg.5800a4cc4082d1d733fb1d20adad7762.jpg
Yes. For example, Montrose played Hearts at Muirton in a quarter final second replay in 1976.

7 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

IMG_20200926_122722.jpg

I was at the game.

It seemed somewhat unusual even then although i'd seen Motherwell v Hibs at Ibrox in a third game in the 1970s.

8 minutes ago, Tutankhamen said:

I was at the game.

It seemed somewhat unusual even then although i'd seen Motherwell v Hibs at Ibrox in a third game in the 1970s.

Was that after Pat Stanton scored an amazing , brilliant , wonderful diving header equaliser at Easter Road in the second game ?

17 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Bob Marley looking quite in awe of Dixie Deans 😀

Unsure if it's his magnificent mullet/tache combo or his penchant for Cup final hat tricks against Hibernian but the reggae legend looks starstruck.

IMG_20200925_192150.jpg

Not so good at penalties v. Milan , unfortunately

On 24/09/2020 at 14:47, Flybhoy said:

Jerron Nixon and Craig Brewster after Dundee United won the Scottish Cup for the first time in 1994, Brewster's winning goal was comedy gold, even more so as the **** were the opposition, if you haven't seen it kids have a look on YouTube, a calamity defensive howler between Dave McPherson 

IMG_20200924_112639.jpg

could not happen to a ... etc

####### pretend right full back

Edited by ewan14

30 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

IMG_20200926_122722.jpg

I've got a programme* from c.1988 for a game at Muirton Park between Arbroath and, iirc, Stenny which was a second replay.

That sort of thing must have been binned soon after as I can't remember any similar games.

*Programme= double sided b&w photocopy

3 hours ago, Raidernation said:

You got a shot at home if you were drawn at home
You got a shot at home if you drew the first game away.
After that it was neutral because neither side should have an advantage.

Thistle v Killie in about 1980 went to four games (I think, could be wrong, could have been three) but deffo no neutral ground involved. Mo Johnston scored the winner in about the 400th minute.