A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

39 minutes ago, Academically Deficient said:

I was there.

Could it have been because there were a few other games called off that day?

Accies had a good track record of getting games played in bad weather in those days. The crazy slope maybe helped drain off excess water.

For some reason, they still seem to manage it 😉

Then again, I remember the anticipation all week leading up to the game, everone was excited about it. Then Aberdeen scored early and that was it.

Correct, a number of games off in 1979.

Went along to both games 5 years apart.

1 hour ago, Academically Deficient said:

I was there.

Could it have been because there were a few other games called off that day?

Accies had a good track record of getting games played in bad weather in those days. The crazy slope maybe helped drain off excess water.

For some reason, they still seem to manage it 😉

Then again, I remember the anticipation all week leading up to the game, everone was excited about it. Then Aberdeen scored early and that was it.

January 1979 was when Inverness Thistle and Falkirk broke the world record with 29 postponements!

As a young lad in Inverness in those days I remember a succession of heavy cold winters.

1 minute ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

January 1979 was when Inverness Thistle and Falkirk broke the world record with 29 postponements!

As a young lad in Inverness in those days I remember a succession of heavy cold winters.

The Winter of Discontent? Oil tanker drivers on strike, schools closed. Good times.

Of only we'd known what was around the corner eh? (General Politics Thread for this pish etc.)

Anyway, thankfully some far sighted clubs have chosen to mitigate against inclement Scottish weather by investing in high quality modern playing surfaces 😆

Jerron Nixon and Craig Brewster after Dundee United won the Scottish Cup for the first time in 1994, Brewster's winning goal was comedy gold, even more so as the **** were the opposition, if you haven't seen it kids have a look on YouTube, a calamity defensive howler between Dave McPherson and Ally Maxwell. 

IMG_20200924_112639.jpg

2 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Jerron Nixon and Craig Brewster after Dundee United won the Scottish Cup for the first time in 1994, Brewster's winning goal was comedy gold, even more so as the **** were the opposition, if you haven't seen it kids have a look on YouTube, a calamity defensive howler between Dave McPherson and Ally Maxwell. 

IMG_20200924_112639.jpg

I watched that game in the old Student Union in Aberdeen. Funnily enough a fight broke out when Brewster scored between some miffed Rangers fans and some other guys who celebrated the goal. Someone I knew was involved- he was a Jambo but was not backing the Staunch side for shame... 

23 hours ago, House Bartender said:

A touch of modernish history. Victoria Park on the final match day before leaping up to the dizzying heights of the top tier in Scottish Football. QoS as opposition IIRC?

DSCF1308.JPG

Shame that it's now all seater.

On 23/09/2020 at 17:41, Dundee Hibernian said:

As I was intruding on LoonsYouthTeam's post, here's Station Park in the1957-58 Scottish Cup tie, Forfar v  Rangers, which I think heralded the opening of the stand at the ground.

1957-58 Scottish Cup Station Park FA v RFC.jpg

The guy on the bike is away to the Post Office for the half time score to get telegraphed through to Ibrox...

On 23/09/2020 at 19:43, House Bartender said:

A touch of modernish history. Victoria Park on the final match day before leaping up to the dizzying heights of the top tier in Scottish Football. QoS as opposition IIRC?

DSCF1308.JPG

The game that day was against Hamilton, a 5-1 win. The gazebo on the left was for a Torridon concert after the game and trophy presentation . Uncle Roy even played on guitar at one point. We beat QotS 5-3 away the following Saturday.

The builders moved in the next day IIRC to start building the all seater away stand and to replace the East Stand + Jailend terracing. That fine looking surface was also dug up for undersoil heating (the pitch was a disaster the next season)