A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

9 hours ago, Lurkst said:

My uncle's neighbour was a rather posh Englishman who'd moved north to work as an advocate.  Used to turn up at house parties with a few cans of Tennent's Super, his "tipple of choice".

I remember an early trip to London, probably late 70s. Sat opposite a city gent on tbe tube, bowler hat, brolly, pin stripe trousers etc. Opened his briefcase and started on a can of Special Brew.

As a Visiting Officer in the old DHSS, ( the Nilsen programme reminded me) a few colleagues routinely took a few cans in their briefcase to break the day up a wee bit.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

12 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I find it interesting that those old ads for El D and Lanny mention they are  South African wine.

It's funny how a product goes from the basis of bam fuel to being drunk in posh restaurants by well to do folk in a few decades.

I would get out more but there's a mad advocate from Barnton pissed up on Table Mountain Chardonnay outside wanting a square go with folk.

Bam fuel.

I'm stealing that.😆

Not quite one from the dusty archives yet and only just 3 years ago, but a photo I think should go down in history as a good representation of Gen-Y era Scottish football: 

When Mick and Ross Dunlop signed for Stenny in McDonalds.

4CCFDAB7-2531-43AE-82A8-0ED41214A1EF.jpeg

Edited by 8MileBU

It would be great for the town. Clyde are still seen by a lot of people as Rutherglen's team, though maybe they've away too long now, I'm not sure. 
The local paper still reports their games. 

Do you know if that's where their historical support was drawn from?

I'd assume so for sure, but wonder if that's changed with them being away from there now.

There's a whole generation of Scottish football supporters, or maybe a couple, who will see Clyde only as a team from Cumbernauld. I can't quite remember them at Shawfield, but certainly remember them sharing with Accies and Thistle, I think???

13 minutes ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

I'd assume so for sure, but wonder if that's changed with them being away from there now.

There's a whole generation of Scottish football supporters, or maybe a couple, who will see Clyde only as a team from Cumbernauld. I can't quite remember them at Shawfield, but certainly remember them sharing with Accies and Thistle, I think???

The Clyde support was local to Shawfield,  Rutherglen/Gorbals/Bridgeton. 

A supporters bus still leaves East Kilbride and deffo picks up in Bridgeton. 

Would be interesting to know the level of interest in Cumbernauld for Clyde with Cumbernauld Colts and Cumbernauld Utd competing for support. 

The Clyde support was local to Shawfield,  Rutherglen/Gorbals/Bridgeton. 
A supporters bus still leaves East Kilbride and deffo picks up in Bridgeton. 
Would be interesting to know the level of interest in Cumbernauld for Clyde with Cumbernauld Colts and Cumbernauld Utd competing for support. 
I've always presumed that much of the support they have from around the area where they now play probably came from folk who weren't necessarily Clyde fans in the first place but perhaps took their kids along to a local game.

Maybe now after 25 years or so there, some of the kids are now genuine fans.

It's quite intriguing though. Despite originally coming from Glasgow(ish) I'd imagined they were in a sense, a 'provincial' club who would primarily draw their support from certain areas.

23 minutes ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

I've always presumed that much of the support they have from around the area where they now play probably came from folk who weren't necessarily Clyde fans in the first place but perhaps took their kids along to a local game.

Maybe now after 25 years or so there, some of the kids are now genuine fans.

It's quite intriguing though. Despite originally coming from Glasgow(ish) I'd imagined they were in a sense, a 'provincial' club who would primarily draw their support from certain areas.

The support was never that big to start with even allowing for the eye popping crowds of the past (by recent standards). I saw Clyde v Airdrie in a relegation battle around 1972ish and 10,000 turned up at Shawfield. Also a lot of East Enders moved out to Cumbernauld. 

7 hours ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

The few Clyde supporters I know are in their 60s and are from Ruglen or the East End originally but moved away. Clyde eventually moved closer to them😆

Clyde definitely shared with Accies in the 80s. I guess it was handy, 4 stops on the train.

8 hours ago, Tutankhamen said:

The support was never that big to start with even allowing for the eye popping crowds of the past (by recent standards). I saw Clyde v Airdrie in a relegation battle around 1972ish and 10,000 turned up at Shawfield. Also a lot of East Enders moved out to Cumbernauld. 

Last day of the season, 0-0. I was at it as well, but didn't think there was that many there. Airdrie had just lost to Derby in the Texaco Cup final during the week. I wasn't at that though.

A coconut for who can tell me who the player 2nd from the left in the back row is from the Forfar Athletic youth squad of 1997-98.

He was involved in some capacity in the Scottish Premiership last year.

My mum and dad visited today and dropped off a bunch of old programmes of mine from mid 90s onwards. Some cracking pictures, albeit quality not always great. I've had an excellent night.
.20200921_231810.jpeg

Think this has been posted before but just in case. 22 January 1949 Scottish Cup First Round Dundee United 4 Celtic 3 in front of 25,000 at Tannadice. Scoring went 1-0, 2-0, 2-1, 2-2, 3-2, 3-3, 4-3. United were in the old Second Division. Up the road same day 14,000 watched Dundee beat St Johnstone 6-1.
IMG_1600747818.074075.jpg

On 20/09/2020 at 00:02, scottmcleanscontacts said:

Think they were a classic example of how crowds shrunk in the 70s/80s. In the 60s, your factory worker had to do a shift on a Saturday morning, leaving him just enough time to nip home for his dinner, then rush out to watch his local team. When that stopped, people had more time to get on buses to Parkhead, Ibrox etc. Or do other things. Course now there’s only  about half a dozen people working in factories in the whole of Glasgow .

3 hours ago, johan scott said:

Think they were a classic example of how crowds shrunk in the 70s/80s. In the 60s, your factory worker had to do a shift on a Saturday morning, leaving him just enough time to nip home for his dinner, then rush out to watch his local team. When that stopped, people had more time to get on buses to Parkhead, Ibrox etc. Or do other things. Course now there’s only  about half a dozen people working in factories in the whole of Glasgow .

Hamilton v Aberdeen Scottish Cup Jan 1979 attendance 12000.

Same fixture 5 years later, 5000 turned up.

On 21/09/2020 at 23:47, LoonsYouthTeam said:

A coconut for who can tell me who the player 2nd from the left in the back row is from the Forfar Athletic youth squad of 1997-98.

He was involved in some capacity in the Scottish Premiership last year.

My mum and dad visited today and dropped off a bunch of old programmes of mine from mid 90s onwards. Some cracking pictures, albeit quality not always great. I've had an excellent night.
.20200921_231810.jpeg

That's Austin McPhee.

On 22/09/2020 at 13:15, Tutankhamen said:

Hamilton v Aberdeen Scottish Cup Jan 1979 attendance 12000.

Same fixture 5 years later, 5000 turned up.

I was there.

Could it have been because there were a few other games called off that day?

Accies had a good track record of getting games played in bad weather in those days. The crazy slope maybe helped drain off excess water.

For some reason, they still seem to manage it 😉

Then again, I remember the anticipation all week leading up to the game, everone was excited about it. Then Aberdeen scored early and that was it.

39 minutes ago, Academically Deficient said:

I was there.

Could it have been because there were a few other games called off that day?

Accies had a good track record of getting games played in bad weather in those days. The crazy slope maybe helped drain off excess water.

For some reason, they still seem to manage it 😉

Then again, I remember the anticipation all week leading up to the game, everone was excited about it. Then Aberdeen scored early and that was it.

Correct, a number of games off in 1979.

Went along to both games 5 years apart.