A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

1 hour ago, Spidersmad said:

No wonder the Queen's support crashed in the late 1950s - many had drunk themselves to death and most survivors were too pished to find the stadium - from a 1949 match programme v Dunfermline -

563652316_QPvDunfermlineLDad.thumb.jpg.a0d3b07c8582812c4f9e7fdc085c8d34.jpg639537501_QPvDunfermlinefront.thumb.jpg.1fee924021fa68414d74479c9747e6f6.jpg

A 4-4 draw according to ParsDatabase.co.uk.

1 hour ago, Spidersmad said:

No wonder the Queen's support crashed in the late 1950s - many had drunk themselves to death and most survivors were too pished to find the stadium - from a 1949 match programme v Dunfermline -

563652316_QPvDunfermlineLDad.thumb.jpg.a0d3b07c8582812c4f9e7fdc085c8d34.jpg639537501_QPvDunfermlinefront.thumb.jpg.1fee924021fa68414d74479c9747e6f6.jpg

Trying to find out the rest of the results that day in addition to this game finishing 4-4. Here's what I can find:

A Aberdeen 0 St. Mirren 2

B Albion Rovers 0 Hibernian 3

C Clyde 2 Third Lanark 0

D East Fife 3 Dundee 0

E Hearts 5 Motherwell 1

G QOS 1 Celtic 0

H Rangers 2 Partick Thistle 2

J Arbroath 3 Dumbarton 0

K Ayr United 1 Airdrie 1 

O Hamilton Accies 3 Kilmarnock 1

P Stenhousemuir 3 Raith Rovers 1

The other games I couldn't find without using the archives at my work. A fairly exciting day across the divisions - and not a single postponement due to weather either!

47 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

A 4-4 draw according to ParsDatabase.co.uk.

On QPFC.com there are more match details - a real ding dong battle:

09m    Henderson    QP-0   Dunf-1

26m    McAulay         QP-1   Dunf-1

54m   Gunn                 QP-2   Dunf-1

64m   Keith                  QP-2   Dunf-2

70m   Keith                  QP-2   Dunf-3

72m   Gunn                 QP-3   Dunf-3

85m   Mayes               QP-3   Dunf-4

86m   McAulay           QP-4   Dunf-4

Att: 6,303

LD was expensive back then - 14/6 was a lot of dosh in 1949. Suitable for the gentlemen tipplers who followed the Spiders.

12 minutes ago, Andy_K_97 said:

Trying to find out the rest of the results that day in addition to this game finishing 4-4. Here's what I can find:

C Clyde 2 Third Lanark 0

D East Fife 3 Dundee 0

E Hearts 5 Motherwell 1

G QOS 1 Celtic 0

J Arbroath 3 Dumbarton 0

K Ayr United 1 Airdrie 1 

The other games I couldn't find without using the archives at my work. A fairly exciting day across the divisions - and not a single postponement due to weather either!

Over 6,000 for a B Divison game between QP and The Pars wasn't a bad crowd I guess. There were 55,000 at Ibrox that day for Rangers v Thistle and over 32,000 at Tynecastle for Hearts v Motherwell. Surely Clyde v Thirds would have attracted a good crowd too.

I'm not disputing its '73 but John Duncan, Iain Phillip, Bobby Robinson and Jimmy Wilson must have been on their summer holidays still

There’s a Robinson back row 2nd from left that could be Bobby. Iain Phillip didn’t come back from Crystal Palace until Oct 73.

Over 6,000 for a B Divison game between QP and The Pars wasn't a bad crowd I guess. There were 55,000 at Ibrox that day for Rangers v Thistle and over 32,000 at Tynecastle for Hearts v Motherwell. Surely Clyde v Thirds would have attracted a good crowd too.

20,000 at the Clyde game. Over 20,000 at Bayview for East Fife v Dundee. https://www.londonhearts.com/scores/a1940/19490129.html

47 minutes ago, Andy_K_97 said:

C Clyde 2 Third Lanark 0

D East Fife 3 Dundee 0

E Hearts 5 Motherwell 1

G QOS 1 Celtic 0

J Arbroath 3 Dumbarton 0

K Ayr United 1 Airdrie 1 

Edinburgh City drew 1-1 with Airdrie Reserves in the Division C Supplementary Competition that day. It was City's last season in the SFL until the revived team won promotion a few years ago.

If Colts did return to the bottom division as has been threatened somehow I don't think they'll be Airdrie's. The other reserve teams in Division C that season were St Johnstone, Queen's Park, Dundee United, Raith, Kilmarnock and Dunfermline.

C Clyde 2 Third Lanark 0
D East Fife 3 Dundee 0
E Hearts 5 Motherwell 1
G QOS 1 Celtic 0
J Arbroath 3 Dumbarton 0
K Ayr United 1 Airdrie 1 

McInnes must go etc. etc.

27 minutes ago, Eednud said:

There’s a Robinson back row 2nd from left that could be Bobby. Iain Phillip didn’t come back from Crystal Palace until Oct 73.

That is Bobby Robinson , also GK Gordon Knowles in the pic joined St Mirren in Oct 1973 . 

7 hours ago, Eednud said:

Apologies, I missed Trigger in the back row. I knew Phillip was in LC winning side but hadn't realised his return was so close to the final itself. Too lazy to find out when Bobby Ford signed but another possible omission from this pic. .

15 hours ago, ScottyDee1893 said:

I'm not disputing its '73 but John Duncan, Iain Phillip, Bobby Robinson and Jimmy Wilson must have been on their summer holidays still

Bobby Robinson and Jimmy Wilson are there though.  According to Wiki, Phillip joined Palace in 1973 so that would explain his absence.  Duncan - yep, must still have been in Maga!

Edited by hk blues

9 hours ago, Spidersmad said:

LD was expensive back then - 14/6 was a lot of dosh in 1949. Suitable for the gentlemen tipplers who followed the Spiders.

OT but some further investigation into the current status of El Do unearthed possibly the best Amazon customer review ever...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/El-Dorado-Eldorado-Fortified-Wine/dp/B0058HU3FW

"El-D is the best buy.
Invented by a Dr David Bruce Banner in the 1960's as a lab test to enhance performance of workers it was particular prevalent and adored on the shipyards of the lower Clyde. The concoction was designed to enhance the durability and strength of men and it worked as many seemed to be made of the steel and rivets they used to build the ships but it had the side effects.
These included turning green, tearing off clobber and battering the feck out of anyone who looked at you...at all..in any way. .
"a ten quid fine and a years probation". This used to be the motto of El-D in its hey day and it was a rather apt motto as invariably consumers ended up in the cells of the local Police station, but never knowing why or how they got there when they awoke. (it was once also a steady income stream for the Scottish Crown in fines handed out)
Locally known as a bottle of 'who the feck you looking at?' (this was usually followed quickly with a headbutt) it established itself as the drink of choice of many of the local whamees. Almost every man and woman from the lower Clyde through the 60's, 70's and 80's has an El D bottle chib mark on them, which they proudly display as a symbol of dedication, but they were also used as the very first Swiss Army knives, only in this case it came as only two choices, club or chib.
Many songs were made up to lament the El-D. "El-D is the best buy", "Oh the Jakies came in one by one". "I was born under an El-D tree" among hosts of others. Poems have been written, plays developed. even films made about the wonder that was El-D.
Sadly missed,
RIP El-D"
Edited by Lurkst

I find it interesting that those old ads for El D and Lanny mention they are  South African wine.

It's funny how a product goes from the basis of bam fuel to being drunk in posh restaurants by well to do folk in a few decades.

I would get out more but there's a mad advocate from Barnton pissed up on Table Mountain Chardonnay outside wanting a square go with folk.

50 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I find it interesting that those old ads for El D and Lanny mention they are  South African wine.

It's funny how a product goes from the basis of bam fuel to being drunk in posh restaurants by well to do folk in a few decades.

I would get out more but there's a mad advocate from Barnton pissed up on Table Mountain Chardonnay outside wanting a square go with folk.

My uncle's neighbour was a rather posh Englishman who'd moved north to work as an advocate.  Used to turn up at house parties with a few cans of Tennent's Super, his "tipple of choice".

Jimmy Johnstone in the unfamiliar setting of Bramall Lane, late in his career in the mid 70's. 

Packet of Jaffa Cakes to who can name his Sheffield United team mate who, had a pretty unremarkable career but has a more famous son who certainly made an impact and is still playing today.

FB_IMG_1600276278137.jpg

Jimmy Johnstone in the unfamiliar setting of Bramall Lane, late in his career in the mid 70's. 
Packet of Jaffa Cakes to who can name his Sheffield United team mate who, had a pretty unremarkable career but has a more famous son who certainly made an impact and is still playing today.
FB_IMG_1600276278137.thumb.jpg.79178e674ee503c05c38d1e31da0a206.jpg

Is he Scots/Irish??