A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

The Tully’s Blether with Broon has a bit about Farfar beating the preDABS 1-0 away in the Scottish Cup in 1954 so include a photo of the Loons at Tannadice from 2 seasons later. IMG_0951.thumb.JPG.72fd414b8e5e82c06e69069c8a803dc1.JPG

Forfar Athletic FC team 1956-57 season. Back row (from left) – Berrie, Muirhead, Mowatt, Stewart, Ogilvie, Elder. Front row: Moir, Crowe, Dunn, Brown & Martin. c. November 1956

Same article has bit about Billy Semple. “Billy Semple signing for Dundee?

After nearly nine years at Rangers, winger Semple (26) was freed in April 1972 after playing just a handful of first-team games.

To be fair, competition at the time for wing berths came in the shape of Willie Henderson, Willie Johnston, Davie Wilson and Tommy McLean.

He then had a brief spell with Durban United in South Africa before Davie White, his former boss at Ibrox, took him to Dens Park.

In his 18 months as a Dark Blue, he made just five starts for the first team, and listed as a substitute 14 times.”

Am I imagining things? When the Record had their version of page 3 girls was Mrs Semple featured?

IMG_0952.JPG Dundee FC in 1973. Back row (from left) – Cairney, Robinson, McPhail, Wylie, McKenzie, Stewart, McGuigan, Robertson. Middle row – Wilson, Johnstone, Hendrie, Anderson, Hewitt, Allan, Knowles, Caldwell, Grimmond, Mackie, Pringle. Front row – Harry Davis (Coach), Semple, Watson, Wallace, Gray, Gemmell, Scott, Lambie, Strachan, Smith, and Physiotherapist Eric Ferguson.

Some more Blether with Brown stuff. 

Joe Buick recently handed in a scrapbook to Broughty Athletic containing cuttings from his uncle’s football career.

Joe’s uncle is Ernie Heggie, formerly of Brechin City and Broughty Ferry-based junior side Forthill Athletic.

Broughty president Jim Finlayson, with Joe’s blessing, let me look over the scrapbook, which he thought would be of interest to BwB readers.

I’ll share some of it in the coming weeks.

Below is an amazing photo of Castle Green in Broughty Ferry, now, of course, a very popular playpark.

Castle Green.
Castle Green.

I did know football was played on it at one stage back in time, but not to the extent the photo shows.

An absolute bumper crowd of over 3,000 is in attendance with Ernie’s Forthill side hosting a match against Lochee Harp, Forthill winning the Scottish Cup replay 4-2 on October 10, 1931.

In the next round, Forthill beat Denny 4-1 at Glenesk Park in a replay.

See cutting for the “Football Special” train which left the Ferry for Lochee.

Unfortunately, they crashed out in the next round 6-3 to Glasgow Perthshire in front of a “record crowd of 8,500” at Glenesk.

forthill-940x476.png

This Forthill Athletic FC team group was taken in late December 1932.

Back row (from left) – Murphy, McKenzie, Ross, Heggie, Russell, Miller, McNaughton (trainer).

Middle row – Brown, G McNaughton, Lorimer, Carver, Welsh. Front row – Lawrence, Norrie, Tasker. See story above.

3 hours ago, Eednud said:

The Tully’s Blether with Broon has a bit about Farfar beating the preDABS 1-0 away in the Scottish Cup in 1954 so include a photo of the Loons at Tannadice from 2 seasons later. IMG_0951.thumb.JPG.72fd414b8e5e82c06e69069c8a803dc1.JPG

Forfar Athletic FC team 1956-57 season. Back row (from left) – Berrie, Muirhead, Mowatt, Stewart, Ogilvie, Elder. Front row: Moir, Crowe, Dunn, Brown & Martin. c. November 1956

'preDabs' is a fine and accurate historical insult Eednud 😃. That would be Forfar in their green jerseys, I can recall seeing them in a white with green candystripe in the 'sixties. Unsure why they changed official colours then changed back again.

2 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

That would be Forfar in their green jerseys, I can recall seeing them in a white with green candystripe in the 'sixties. Unsure why they changed official colours then changed back again

Same here, Scottish Cup tie in 63/64. 6-1 Dundee at Dens 

On ‎13‎/‎09‎/‎2020 at 09:10, Eednud said:

That's a great picture and a fascinating kit. The shirts look to have epaulettes on the shoulders and what the f@#k are those socks made from?

On 13/09/2020 at 09:10, Eednud said:

Stewart is saying "right pal, outside for a square go.."

I wonder if Crowe is Kevin de Bruyne's secret grandfather. Unfortunately we'd find this out too late to get him in the Scotland squad under the grandparent rule.

You wouldn't spill Dunn's pint. Looks hard. 

Brown looks like he's secretly letting one off. 

7 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Gordon Strachan has a ping at goal for Dundee against St Mirren at Love Street in the late 70's as Billy Stark looks on.

IMG_20200914_105409.jpg

We had beaten DU 4-1 in the cup the previous Saturday,  this time we were 3-0 up at HT before allowing Strachan to get a consolation with 2 minutes to go. Copland, Reid and Torrance the scorers for Saints, att. 12127

1 hour ago, Flybhoy said:

No idea what that is, before my time, an alcoholic beverage?

Interesting sub-thread opportunity: photos of grounds with adverts for defunct bevvy brands.

Lanliq and El D always had ads in the football pages of the papers, but cant remember them at grounds.

50 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

We had beaten DU 4-1 in the cup the previous Saturday,  this time we were 3-0 up at HT before allowing Strachan to get a consolation with 2 minutes to go. Copland, Reid and Torrance the scorers for Saints, att. 12127

12,000 plus for St Mirren v Dundee, sad that these days  even with St Mirren's present ground only having about half that capacity it wouldn't even remotely be filled for that fixture unless a relegation or promotion decider, not a slight on either club just indicative of modern football and particularly pricing of it.

4 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

12,000 plus for St Mirren v Dundee, sad that these days  even with St Mirren's present ground only having about half that capacity it wouldn't even remotely be filled for that fixture unless a relegation or promotion decider, not a slight on either club just indicative of modern football and particularly pricing of it.

Since when was 8000 "only about half" of 12000?

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

Since when was 8000 "only about half" of 12000?

I thought the capacity was around 6000, my bad, been there several times as well so no excuse for that oversight.

Actually one of the better new build smaller stadiums as well in that it has four complete sides/stands so feels like a proper ground unlike monstrosities such as Hamilton and Inverness  

George Connolly of Celtic, a majestic player by all accounts, sadly quit the game in his mid 20's as he battled personal demons. 

I'm quite pally with his laddie David and have had the pleasure of being in the company of George on a few occasions, what always sticks in my mind is, whenever he talks about his football days he always refers to his then manager as 'Mr Stein', respect spans generations in instances such as this. 

FB_IMG_1600114525400.jpg

George Connolly of Celtic, a majestic player by all accounts, sadly quit the game in his mid 20's as he battled personal demons. 

I'm quite pally with his laddie David and have had the pleasure of being in the company of George on a few occasions, what always sticks in my mind is, whenever he talks about his football days he always refers to his then manager as 'Mr Stein', respect spans generations in instances such as this. 

FB_IMG_1600114525400.jpg

I got his autograph once. Good player, would maybe have had a longer career nowadays?

FB_IMG_1600114525400.jpg

I used to see George standing buckled outside a pub in Kincardine at closing time quite often, his main personal demon seemed to be alcohol and there was perhaps a lack of patience and understanding of that illness in the 'seventies.