A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

On 11/09/2020 at 06:54, Dubai Jag said:

This was used in the 74 / 75 League cup.  No pictures unfortunately but your dad may recall Dennis McQuade scoring a superb goal against Clyde in the sections, Great run and goal with or without the offside rule. . Thistle won the group and drew Airdrie in the quarter final. 

The league had started by then ( with normal offside rules) and by the time the quarter final was played, the Jags had completely forgotten the LC rules and Airdie hammered us 5-2 at Firhill. Good Airdie side though with Derek Mountfield, Paul Jonquin and Drew Busby.

Yeah, that mid-70s Airdrie side was a good one.  Remember them absolutely pumping QOS at Palmerston 7-1.  We equalised to make it 1-1 around 30 mins and seemed to be holding our own, but by half-time we were 5-1 down!  Every time they went up the park they scored, nothing missed, everything hit the net.  We fully expected double figures in the second half but fortunately managed to keep it to 7.  Wasn't that bad a Queens side either then.  Derek Whiteford was certainly one of their main players .  Think Drew Jarvie had left for the Dons by then or it could have been double figures for sure.

2 hours ago, Tutankhamen said:

Try it out on the Wosfl forum.

Ruggy it seems is a one team town.

Being quite local myself, was there not some talk in recent years about Clyde ground sharing with Glencairn, maybe when there were issues with Broadwood?

I remember an old neighbour being quite excited about it. Or maybe I've got that mixed up with the opening of a Witherspoons on the Main St?

Edited by Academically Deficient
Spelling

3 hours ago, Academically Deficient said:

Being quite local myself, was there not some talk in recent years about Clyde ground sharing with Glencairn, maybe when there were issues with Broadwood?

I remember an old neighbour being quite excited about it. Or maybe I've got that mixed up with the opening of a Witherspoons on the Main St?

I asked about this a few months ago. All I wanted to know was what were the plans for the ground redevelopment. I got a right "we're the juniors, who the feck are you!" response. That was me well telt. Shawfield was a superb ground. It made absolutely no sense as a football stadium but I'd take it over Broadwood any day of the week.

Two or three years ago we were flirting with a few potential venues including East Kilbride, Shettleston and a return to Rutherglen.

Since a change of ownership we have recomitted ourselves to Broadwood. I've been an "owner" for a couple of years and there has been zero talk about moving again on the owners' forum in that time, that I can remember.

Others who know more than me and/or live a lot closer will correct me if I'm talking bollocks, I'm sure.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

3 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Two or three years ago we were flirting with a few potential venues including East Kilbride, Shettleston and a return to Rutherglen.

Since a change of ownership we have recomitted ourselves to Broadwood. I've been an "owner" for a couple of years and there has been zero talk about moving again on the owners' forum in that time, that I can remember.

Others who know more than me and/or live a lot closer will correct me if I'm talking bollocks, I'm sure.

I grew up in EK and there was always chat about youse moving to the Kelvin bowl. Would have been a better move than Broadwood as the ground was more central and in effect ready built.

Yeah, that was years ago before we actually did move to Cumbernauld. Then, a few years back, after a couple of decades at Broadwood, we discussed moving again. So much so that the board urged people to vote for a prospective name change to EK Clyde in the event of a move being finalised. That seemed likely to go through but never happened. Rumours of moving have been much more speculative since. And in the last few years (can't remember exactly when) we have confirmed our intention to stay put.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

37 minutes ago, I am Partacus said:

I asked about this a few months ago. All I wanted to know was what were the plans for the ground redevelopment. I got a right "we're the juniors, who the feck are you!" response. That was me well telt. Shawfield was a superb ground. It made absolutely no sense as a football stadium but I'd take it over Broadwood any day of the week.

It would be great for the town. Clyde are still seen by a lot of people as Rutherglen's team, though maybe they've away too long now, I'm not sure. 

The local paper still reports their games. 

4 minutes ago, Academically Deficient said:

It would be great for the town. Clyde are still seen by a lot of people as Rutherglen's team, though maybe they've away too long now, I'm not sure. 

The local paper still reports their games. 

Not sure about that. Lived in Ruglen' for a few years about a decade ago and genuinely only saw a handful of Clyde fans in all that time. Sadly methinks Shawfield is no more as a Glasgow football ground. One of my happiest memories was the 'lights out' fighting free-for-all at the Cup game in the 80's.  Made the headlines in the Express and everything!! Scotland's Shame.

7 hours ago, I am Partacus said:

Not sure about that. Lived in Ruglen' for a few years about a decade ago and genuinely only saw a handful of Clyde fans in all that time. Sadly methinks Shawfield is no more as a Glasgow football ground. One of my happiest memories was the 'lights out' fighting free-for-all at the Cup game in the 80's.  Made the headlines in the Express and everything!! Scotland's Shame.

Fair point. The people I was referring to are probably in the great pub in the sky now. 

Chapman's public bar used to have a nice mural with historical Clyde moments on it, but in a terrible act of vandalism it was painted over when new owners took it to the dark side.

The Tully’s Blether with Broon has a bit about Farfar beating the preDABS 1-0 away in the Scottish Cup in 1954 so include a photo of the Loons at Tannadice from 2 seasons later. IMG_0951.thumb.JPG.72fd414b8e5e82c06e69069c8a803dc1.JPG

Forfar Athletic FC team 1956-57 season. Back row (from left) – Berrie, Muirhead, Mowatt, Stewart, Ogilvie, Elder. Front row: Moir, Crowe, Dunn, Brown & Martin. c. November 1956