Morton 2-4 Aberdeen (aet) 

Final 
Aberdeen 2-1 St Mirren

5000 turned for the final at Hampden. 

Was then kicked into touch. 

On 06/09/2020 at 21:27, topcat(The most tip top) said:

And hardly anybody turned up for the final

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drybrough_Cup

Thé 4 highest scorers from the top flight and 4 highest scorers from the second tier format would see Morton and Dunfermline in this season’s tournament

I was at the final Aberdeen support was about two busloads. 

They knocked Celtic out of the Drybrough Cup in 1980

First Round
Celtic 0 Ayr United 1 
 St Mirren 2-1 Falkirk 
Aberdeen 4-1 Airdrieonians 
Morton 4-2 Albion Rovers 

Semi-Final 
St Mirren 2-1 Ayr United 
Morton 2-4 Aberdeen (aet) 

Final 
Aberdeen 2-1 St Mirren

I am sure it was during the summer holidays otherwise I am certain my Dad would have taken me along to the final.
I remember being quite impressed that Aberdeen held two trophies at the same time having won the league a few months earlier.
It was to become the norm in the next 6 years.

Was reading about this competition and interesting that they tried an amended offside rule.

The new rule saw the penalty area line extended to join up with the touchlines, creating a solid line across the pitch 18 yards from each goal. The offside law then only applied when a player was beyond the new penalty area line; at times leading to confusion and goals which would not normally stand.

30 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

McCluskey had the nickname "Beastie" at Hibs (perhaps when he played for Celtic too) but I doubt a player would get a nickname like that now ..

Also he'd definitely have got a full cap nowadays

Likewise Alex O'hara ex-Accies, Thistle, Rangers and others.

Or "Chugger" to his friends.

There is a (hopefully) apocryphal story behind this.

2 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Was reading about this competition and interesting that they tried an amended offside rule.

The new rule saw the penalty area line extended to join up with the touchlines, creating a solid line across the pitch 18 yards from each goal. The offside law then only applied when a player was beyond the new penalty area line; at times leading to confusion and goals which would not normally stand.

U think they might've tried that in the League cup as well. I have a memory of Airdrie v Hearts, but can't remember playing them in the Dryburgh only Aberdeen.

Just now, Bully Wee Villa said:

I've heard my dad talk about them changing the offside rules before, but not sure Clyde ever even played in the Dryborough Cup. Maybe he watched a game on telly, would the competition have been televised back then?

Highlights of the final maybe. 

3 hours ago, tamthebam said:

McCluskey had the nickname "Beastie" at Hibs (perhaps when he played for Celtic too) but I doubt a player would get a nickname like that now ..

Also he'd definitely have got a full cap nowadays

Even at his age?

1 hour ago, Ken Fitlike said:

Probably already posted by Flybhoy, but this is a fairly remarkable picture, even if you can’t stand ‘ra hoops’IMG_2177.jpg

The first of the 9 in a row, clinched at Fir Park. 

Scenes like this today would no doubt result in keyboard warriors who barely attend matches emailing their clubs demanding the away allocations are cut for the next fixture, resulting in thousands more empty seats. 

17 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

The first of the 9 in a row, clinched at Fir Park. 

Scenes like this today would no doubt result in keyboard warriors who barely attend matches emailing their clubs demanding the away allocations are cut for the next fixture, resulting in thousands more empty seats. 

Or people could go and see their local team instead of being glory hunters and reduce the number of empty seats whilst making the whole competition more interesting?