A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

Two years ago today, Morton Manager Raymond McKinnon left only three months into his role for the opportunity to manage bottom of the league Falkirk.

Much resentment in Greenock ensued towards both McKinnon and his new employers, who claimed they had broken no rules in approaching their new man, with the Greenock Telegraph famously labelling McKinnon “Judas”.

An SPFL disciplinary panel disagreed with Falkirk’s protestations of innocence and fined them £60,000 for breaking two of their rules. They were subesquently forced to pay compensation to Morton as a result of these breaches.

As an interesting aside to the story, with both Morton and Falkirk toiling at the wrong end of the Championship that season, Morton travelled to the Falkirk Stadium for what turned out to be the pivotal match in both teams’ season and won 2-0, making survival nigh on impossible for the hapless McKinnon and Falkirk.

McKinnon was sacked in November 2019 and Falkirk are still festering in League One. What a shame.

8E954BEA-F77A-4917-810B-59ED72DA3CAB.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Toby said:

Two years ago today, Morton Manager Raymond McKinnon left only three months into his role for the opportunity to manage bottom of the league Falkirk.

Much resentment in Greenock ensued towards both McKinnon and his new employers, who claimed they had broken no rules in approaching their new man, with the Greenock Telegraph famously labelling McKinnon “Judas”.

An SPFL disciplinary panel disagreed with Falkirk’s protestations of innocence and fined them £60,000 for breaking two of their rules. They were subesquently forced to pay compensation to Morton as a result of these breaches.

As an interesting aside to the story, with both Morton and Falkirk toiling at the wrong end of the Championship that season, Morton travelled to the Falkirk Stadium for what turned out to be the pivotal match in both teams’ season and won 2-0, making survival nigh on impossible for the hapless McKinnon and Falkirk.

McKinnon was sacked in November 2019 and Falkirk are still festering in League One. What a shame.

8E954BEA-F77A-4917-810B-59ED72DA3CAB.jpeg

:lol:

8E954BEA-F77A-4917-810B-59ED72DA3CAB.jpeg.b2f0747da666feec2765109727479666.jpeg
Love a story with a happy ending [emoji2960]

23 hours ago, House Bartender said:

IMAG05661947.thumb.jpg.7a5b764d25c459c3802b22a641e1cdad.jpg

As Hibs and Aberdeen meet up this afternoon, here's an opportunity to look back to the Cup Final of 1947. Hibs 1 Aberdeen 2.

l-r : Taylor, McCall, McKenna, Hamilton, McLaughlin, Williams, Dunlop (with cup), Harris, Waddell.  Interesting to note the longevity of the Taylor/McKenna partnership which persists to this day.

Strange Scottish football facts #2452:

Hibernian have won the Scottish Cup more recently than Aberdeen!

2 hours ago, tamthebam said:

You've made me think of Derek and Clive:

"the worst job I ever had was blowing cocaine up Stevie Nicks' arsehole..."

"I remember the night Stevie has a touch of wind. I had to blow the same cocaine up her arse 4 time before it stayed there. I told Mick Fleetwood he'd have to make his own arrangements and got kicked off the tour."

12 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I think most Hibees have forgotten the result to be fair...

Not one of Scottish clubs vintage performances in Europe...

I'm sure someone might post a picture to remind them...

The Scotland U16 squad before the 1989 World Cup final against Saudi Arabia ahem.... under 16's.... 😒

I can only name about half a dozen or so, Kevin Bain, Jim Will, Brian O'Neill, Paul Dickov, Andy McClaren are the only definite players I can name without cheating. 

IMG_20200901_211302.jpg

3 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

The Scotland U16 squad before the 1989 World Cup final against Saudi Arabia ahem.... under 16's.... 😒

I can only name about half a dozen or so, Kevin Bain, Jim Will, Brian O'Neill, Paul Dickov, Andy McClaren are the only definite players I can name without cheating. 

IMG_20200901_211302.jpg

Gary Bollan, Scott Nisbet, Billy Mckinley I think I can see.

7 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Gary Bollan, Scott Nisbet, Billy Mckinley I think I can see.

You're right about Bollan, just remembered him playing. 

Wasn't aware Nisbet and McKinlay were at that age group then. I was sure McKinlay in particular had broke into the first team at Tannadice by then, perhaps memory playing tricks on me. 

Looks like for once my gut instinct was correct, Billy McKinlay was 20 at the time of this tournament and had been playing first team football for Dundee United since 1986.
Screenshot_20200901-213141_Chrome.thumb.jpg.638e9d6e4ba78a1982da9655640a912d.jpg
Aye, far too old. Although funnily enough, still about five years younger than some of the Saudi players.....