A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

10 hours ago, Shotgun said:

I like that even some of the young laddies are wearing ties. If this was 1971, then I went to my first top flight football games not long after that but I don't recall seeing anyone wearing a tie.

Anybody here gone to a football match with a tie on?

Used to be the norm. A relative of mine went to work every day as a plumber with a tie on under his overalls. So he would probably have worn it to watch Bathgate Juniors as well.

24 minutes ago, Academically Deficient said:

Used to be the norm. A relative of mine went to work every day as a plumber with a tie on under his overalls. So he would probably have worn it to watch Bathgate Juniors as well.

RIght. It was it being as late as the 70s that surprised me. I'd thought that practice was well before my time. Arabdownunder's suggestion above seems to explain it.

11 hours ago, Shotgun said:

I like that even some of the young laddies are wearing ties. If this was 1971, then I went to my first top flight football games not long after that but I don't recall seeing anyone wearing a tie.

Anybody here gone to a football match with a tie on?

My father, who is in his 80s usually still wears a tie to the football.

Tbf, and Old Pack might correct me as he'll know more about it than me, you might not have been seeing St Johnstone at all these days if the club had stayed at Muirton Park.
I'm not quite sure it was as bad as the abyss but certainly the move transformed the club from worse than amateur to the almost professional outfit we see today (off the park).

I'd suggest we'd probably be floundering about somewhere between the Ayr United of today and maybe a club like Stenhousemuir.

Definitely a sliding doors moment though - there have been many where Saints are involved. I always wonder what might have become of the club if we didn't prosper on the park so soon after the move to McDiarmid.

Likewise I sometimes think that had we been promoted in 2007 instead of Gretna where would the two clubs be now. That season felt like a missed opportunity but in reality it was a terrible league that season and by rights we should have been out of the title challenge months before the final day of the season. We probably were nowhere near ready for promotion then if truth be told.

13 hours ago, Academically Deficient said:

True.

The Pope, Mohammed Ali and Raquel Welch were probably the top 3 answers.

There's probably a Dave Allen  punchline in there somewhere, but I've had a long day.

The Queen presenting the cup at Wembley was another popular choice.

On 26/08/2020 at 07:47, Shotgun said:

And not many hats.  Go back 20 years and everyone seems to be wearing one.  Funny how these things change almost by stealth.

And not many hats.  Go back 20 years and everyone seems to be wearing one.  Funny how these things change almost by stealth.
Aye they certainly do. Old crowd pictures are probably more fascinating than pictures of the game itself. The game is the game is the game but on the terraces and in the stands things change so much over time.

2 hours ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

Aye they certainly do. Old crowd pictures are probably more fascinating than pictures of the game itself. The game is the game is the game but on the terraces and in the stands things change so much over time.

I found this old picture of what looks to be the Gorgie End at Tynecastle but not sure of date and occasion. What strikes me is that I can't see anything in the picture to suggest it is a football crowd. Also interesting to note how many of the crowd are looking directly at the camera.

tynecastle-crowd.jpg

I found this old picture of what looks to be the Gorgie End at Tynecastle but not sure of date and occasion. What strikes me is that I can't see anything in the picture to suggest it is a football crowd. Also interesting to note how many of the crowd are looking directly at the camera.
tynecastle-crowd.jpg.e41cd80d6cc3ad009e5f2d40d4980c09.jpg
It could be a crowd absolutely anywhere, you're right - not a thing shouts football.

I do wonder why they are all apparently looking at the camera - maybe it was rarer in those days to see a photographer? I know that the few times I've been in a crowd shot I've not even noticed the photographer taking the snap.

2 hours ago, Northboy said:

tynecastle-crowd.jpg

There's actually a guy going "hiya pal" in it if you look carefully!

16 hours ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

I do wonder why they are all apparently looking at the camera - maybe it was rarer in those days to see a photographer? I know that the few times I've been in a crowd shot I've not even noticed the photographer taking the snap.

Possibly taken before kick off or at half time or it might have been a particularly boring game.

Cameras would have been much bigger at the time so the photographer would probably have been obvious to everyone and perhaps a novelty to have your photo taken.

17 hours ago, tamthebam said:

There's actually a guy going "hiya pal" in it if you look carefully!

Possibly taken for the fan of the day feature in the programme where people won cash if they were the circled fan. Basically just a ploy to get people to buy the programme.

21 hours ago, Northboy said:

tynecastle-crowd.jpg

A few guys down the front left corner look like they have football scarves. A few faces look like they've been stuck on the picture in an early attempt at photoshopping.

1 hour ago, realmadrid said:

Possibly taken for the fan of the day feature in the programme where people won cash if they were the circled fan. Basically just a ploy to get people to buy the programme.

Probably just this: might explain the photoshopping.

Here's one from Easter Road in 1954 with a few traditional plastic macs on show. Vince Clarke from Erasure is wearing one with a fetching bunnet. Another bloke with the mac/bunnet combination is practicing his Kenneth Williams 'shocked' expression.

Easter Road 1954.jpg