A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

17 hours ago, A96 said:

Aberdeen’s home defeat by St Mirren was way before the previous week. It came the Saturday before the first leg of the European Cup Winners Cup semi final. That defeat was one of several league matches that season where we dropped points either the game before or the game after a European tie.  The 2-1 loss to Dundee United three days after we’d beaten Bayern was every bit as much a key result in the league race as that St Mirren game. As was the 2-1 defeat at Ibrox three days after the First leg of the Euro semi.

I wouldn’t go as far as saying we’d have walked the league that season if it wasn’t for the distraction of our glorious European run , but there’s a fair chance we’d have won the league.

In other news , none of my aunties have tested positive for possession of testicles

I'd rather have the ECWC as (another) title. Although the two of them would have been nice.

On 05/07/2020 at 09:42, RedEd said:

I appear in it briefly as the ballboy showing his displeasure at St Mirren scoring at Somerset Park.

Spotted myself in it too. With my Buddie buddy at the Dundee Utd quarter final at Love St.  My hair is currently approaching the same length again...

Dundee United in their white change kit take on Aberdeen at Tannadice in 1980 with the Hilltown flats in the background which were demolished a few years ago, also note the  main stand which stopped around the halfway line around then and had a wee enclosure running up to the corner flag, if I'm not mistaken did Dundee United not get a grant from UEFA Fair Play award after their run to the 1987 UEFA Cup final and use the money from that to extend/complete the stand to its present day structure?

Steve Archibald is the only player I can 100% identity, I'm sure some other posters can help out with the others. 

IMG_20200710_133942.jpg

2 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Dundee United in their white change kit take on Aberdeen at Tannadice in 1980 with the Hilltown flats in the background which were demolished a few years ago, also note the  main stand which stopped around the halfway line around then and had a wee enclosure running up to the corner flag, if I'm not mistaken did Dundee United not get a grant from UEFA Fair Play award after their run to the 1987 UEFA Cup final and use the money from that to extend/complete the stand to its present day structure?

Steve Archibald is the only player I can 100% identity, I'm sure some other posters can help out with the others. 

IMG_20200710_133942.jpg

The Derby Street flats- one had blue balconies, the other orange. There's a couple of good photos of Dens and Tannadice with the flats in the foreground if you do a search.

When they were demolished the "Dundee" flats went down without a problem (cue comments of "just like real life" from Arabs) whereas the "United" flats demolition was less straightforward- they went a bit sideways and almost took out a church and a house....

2 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

IMG_20200710_133942.jpg

No 10 Drew Busby?

Bobby Lennox heads home a goal for Celtic in a 3-2 Scottish Cup win v Kilmarnock at Celtic Park in the Shamrock away kit, back in the days when the home side changed kits in instances of a clash, although Kilmarnock appear to be wearing an all blue kit here?

IMG_20200710_225745.jpg

3 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

IMG_20200710_133942.jpg

For United, 4 is Iain Phillip, and the goalkeeper is Andy Graham, who didn't get many opportunities at Tannadice as he was understudy to Hamish McAlpine.

Dons players are Drew Jarvie, Mark McGhee and Stevie Archibald. This was a midweek game as I recall, decent crowd and a great free kick from Strachan for the Dons goal. United equalised via either Kirky from a Holt cross or vice versa. It was a true game of two halves, Dons dominated in the first period and United the second.

EDIT: looked up that season to check, this was the second last game as Aberdeen went for the title, which, of course, they won. 

Edited by Dundee Hibernian
Checked details

Bobby Lennox heads home a goal for Celtic in a 3-2 Scottish Cup win v Kilmarnock at Celtic Park in the Shamrock away kit, back in the days when the home side changed kits in instances of a clash, although Kilmarnock appear to be wearing an all blue kit here?
IMG_20200710_225745.jpg.c945936558ff221897b1e243567c2d8f.jpg
6th March 1965. Celtic, of course went on to to win the cup that season but Killie had the small consolation of being crowned Scottish Champions for the one and only time. I think the rule that the home side changed kits in the event of a colour clash applied in league games but for Scottish Cup games both sides changed.

Incidentally the Celtic shamrock kit featured here figured prominently in a heated pub discussion I got dragged into recently. A claim was made that after the teams adopted their traditional colours neither Rangers nor Celtic had ever played in a change strip in a game against each other except for one solitary occasion when Celtic wore this very kit in what may have been a testimonial match, Glasgow Charity match or something similar. I had no idea if this was true or not.

On 16/01/2018 at 23:16, Eednud said:

It used to be the home team that changed kit in League games when there was a colour/kit clash and both sides in Scottish Cup ties. Not sure when things changed.

In the FA Cup, both teams changed in the event of a colour clash, until 1972.  Which was a bit daft, as two teams playing in blue or red might both have a change kit in white.  So there were lots of impromptu third kits.

Home team changed in English league matches until 1921.

45 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

IMG_20200710_225745.jpg

Interesting that there are no numbers on the back of the Celtic shirts.  I had read somewhere that the Celtic directors eschewed shirt numbers for decades (until forced to relent) to avoid disrupting the integrity of the hoops.   But those are plain shirts...

On 30/05/2020 at 08:59, Flybhoy said:

Paul Wilson, Harry Hood, Kenny Dalglish and Ronnie Galvin are amongst the Celtic players pictured going out of the 1976 Cup winners cup to those European giants from East Germany, the famous Sashenring Zwikau.

Sachsenring Zwickau (Sachsenring = Saxony circuit, still used as a motor racing venue).

They were the first East German champions.  Had to beat Friedrichstadt of Dresden to take the title.  The Dresdeners were considered a bit too bourgeois so the refereeing was somewhat questionable.  E.g. Friedrichstadt being down to 8 men by the end through injury and the referee refused to allow substitutions (which were permitted at the time).   Most of the Friedrichstadt players (including Helmut Schön) legged it to West Berlin and the Commies disbanded the club for insolence.

53 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

For United, 4 is Iain Phillip, and the goalkeeper is Andy Graham, who didn't get many opportunities at Tannadice as he was understudy to Hamish McAlpine.

Dons players are Drew Jarvie, Mark McGhee and Stevie Archibald. This was a midweek game as I recall, decent crowd and a great free kick from Strachan for the Dons goal. United equalised via either Kirky from a Holt cross or vice versa. It was a true game of two halves, Dons dominated in the first period and United the second.

EDIT: looked up that season to check, this was the second last game as Aberdeen went for the title, which, of course, they won. 

John McMaster on the wing there between Narey and Archibald?

21 minutes ago, bluearmyfaction said:

Interesting that there are no numbers on the back of the Celtic shirts.  I had read somewhere that the Celtic directors eschewed shirt numbers for decades (until forced to relent) to avoid disrupting the integrity of the hoops.   But those are plain shirts...

Think they had to start putting numbers on shirts for European games but not sure when, maybe the 70's.

Edited by Eednud

3 hours ago, killiejim said:

A claim was made that after the teams adopted their traditional colours neither Rangers nor Celtic had ever played in a change strip in a game against each other

I'm maybe being even thicker than usual but if by traditional colours you mean Rangers' blue top and Celtic's green and white hoops...why would either of them ever need to play in a change strip? Even if the referee's watching on a black and white telly, it would still be clear who was who. Wouldn't it?

7 hours ago, Shotgun said:

I'm maybe being even thicker than usual but if by traditional colours you mean Rangers' blue top and Celtic's green and white hoops...why would either of them ever need to play in a change strip? Even if the referee's watching on a black and white telly, it would still be clear who was who. Wouldn't it?

If they ever played each other in Europe, their shorts would clash so someone would have to change. Which would be stupid. 

50 minutes ago, tamba_trio said:

If they ever played each other in Europe, their shorts would clash so someone would have to change. Which would be stupid. 

If that was the case Rangers could weal blue shorts with white or blue socks, as seen a couple of times last season. It'd save having to play in an away kit.

Of course there is no colour clash but that wasn't the point. In these days of teams having 3 strips there are frequent changes for contractual reasons where no colour clash exists. For example I've seen Killie play loads of games where there is no clash yet one or both teams changes. Rangers and Celtic themselves frequently play in a change strip where there is no clash just not against each other. Every team does but this one fixture apparently is inviolable in terms of change.