A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

57 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I can name them all apart from whoever it is between Ally Shewan and Jimmy Wilson. Unless it's Jorgen Ravn, I thought he was away by then.

Almost certain it is Ravn, and he was still there according to goalscoring lists in 65-66.

Edited by Dundee Hibernian

18 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Almost certain it is Ravn, and he was still there according to goalscoring lists in 65-66.

He was indeed, I just didn't recognise him.

It was at the end of 65/66 that him and his wee pal, Leif Mortensen, went home.

Having a debate on clubs wearing change kits etc on Twitter and how often it was the home team who changed in instances of a clash up till the early 1980's, certainly ive seen plenty photos and footage of Celtic wearing change kits at Celtic Park in games v Morton, Kilmarnock, Ayr United, St Mirren and others...

This picture of Andy Ritchie has sparked a bit of debate, I haven't been to Cappielow in about 20 years but I'm sure this picture is taken at Rugby Park meaning Kilmarnock are at home to Morton, not the other way round as a pal is suggesting, any older posters able to help here and possibly name the other players too?

IMG_20200701_212637.jpg

Catching up on a recent When Saturday Comes. The 1983 league table caught my eye.

Dundee United beat Dundee 2-1 at Dens Park to win the league. The article refers to a tense last half hour for the United fans after Dundee had pulled a goal back.

I note that had Dundee then equalised, Dundee United and Celtic would have finished the seaaon with identical records: points (55), goal difference (+54), and goals scored (90).

How would the league have been decided in that tied scenario back then?

Celtic did win the head-to-head with United, with a win apiece and two draws, but scoring one more goal (7-6).

Memory seems to tell me, however, that other decisive factors like head-to-head and disciplinary points are relatively new rules.

Under the rules of the time, based on the tied scenario above, would there have been a play off to decide the league or would the league title have been shared?

Also interesting to see that had there been three points for a win that season, three teams would have tied on 80 points.

I can't remember quite so tight a finish involving three different teams in the years since.

Looks like a great season. I'm just a touch too young to remember it in any detail, my first game coming the season following. IMG_20200701_223855.jpegIMG_20200701_224839.jpeg

2 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Having a debate on clubs wearing change kits etc on Twitter and how often it was the home team who changed in instances of a clash up till the early 1980's, certainly ive seen plenty photos and footage of Celtic wearing change kits at Celtic Park in games v Morton, Kilmarnock, Ayr United, St Mirren and others...

This picture of Andy Ritchie has sparked a bit of debate, I haven't been to Cappielow in about 20 years but I'm sure this picture is taken at Rugby Park meaning Kilmarnock are at home to Morton, not the other way round as a pal is suggesting, any older posters able to help here and possibly name the other players too?

IMG_20200701_212637.jpg

Well, if I take historic football kits as gospel then that looks like Killie's home kit 1980-83 which would fit with Andy Ritchie's career. It does look like the Rugby Park stand rather than Cappielow's.

I find both stands to have little legroom tbh!

8 hours ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

Yes, you are. I think of the film Sliding Doors - where would we be now had we gotten a European run. Finances would have been very different, maybe attracted better players and crucially not been caught below the cut-off for the SPL in 1974, thereby maintaining our place in the top 10 at the time. 

Cue a comment about my auntie and balls.

First season of the SPL was 1998-99

3 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

IMG_20200701_212637.jpg

Here's a pic of the main stand at RP in the 80s. At this point the enclosure in front of the stand was still in place, I believe in the late 80s/early 90s it was turned into rows of seats which are still there. In addition to that in the 90s the stand got a major renovation, replacing the classic "spiders from Mars" floodlights that you can see here, new cladding on the exterior of the stand, new seats and a new main entrance. 

The clues to me that the picture of Morton in the yellow change kit and Killie in the hoops wasn't taken at RP are in the directors' box (sticking out above the dugout), the advertising board for Grant's whisky and the areas of the stand painted blue - up until the stand renovations of the 90s not a lot of the stand was painted blue in comparison to nowadays. The pic from @Flybhoy is excellent however, two classic strips on show. 

4853140710_a9879d1266_b.jpg

Going by this fairly recent picture I think we can determine that it's at Cappielow, and Morton have done the old-fashioned thing and worn their change kit because of the clash.

JS76005017.jpg

The configuration of the directors' box looks to be very similar, the diamond is still in the middle of the writing (just painted blue and white now) and the windows are in the right places as far as I can see. Here's a couple more views in a more normal context than a wedding:

DSCF0819.JPG

0LX9fF8u-1.jpg

12 hours ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:
Pos Team
[   ]
Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts
1 Celtic 34 26 6 2 111 33 +78 58
2 Rangers 34 24 7 3 92 31 +61 55
3 Clyde 34 20 6 8 64 48 +16 46
4 Aberdeen 34 17 8 9 72 38 +34 42
5 Hibernian 34 19 4 11 72 49 +23 42
6 Dundee 34 16 9 9 74 51 +23 41
7 Kilmarnock 34 16 8 10 59 46 +13 40
8 Dunfermline Athletic 34 14 10 10 72 52 +20 38
9 Dundee United 34 14 9 11 68 62 +6 37
10 Motherwell 34 10 11 13 59 60 −1 31
11 Hearts 34 11 8 15 39 48 −9 30
12 Partick Thistle 34 9 12 13 49 68 −19 30
13 Airdrieonians 34 11 6 17 41 53 −12 28
14 Falkirk 34 11 4 19 33 70 −37 26
15 St Johnstone 34 10 5 19 53 73 −20 25
16 Stirling Albion 34 5 9 20 31 85 −54 19
17 St Mirren (R) 34 4 7 23 25 81 −56 15
18 Ayr United (R) 34 1 7 26 20 86 −66 9
Source: RSSSF

Decent finish for Falkirk there.

7 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Catching up on a recent When Saturday Comes. The 1983 league table caught my eye.

Dundee United beat Dundee 2-1 at Dens Park to win the league. The article refers to a tense last half hour for the United fans after Dundee had pulled a goal back.

I note that had Dundee then equalised, Dundee United and Celtic would have finished the seaaon with identical records: points (55), goal difference (+54), and goals scored (90).

Celtic did win the head-to-head with United, with a win apiece and two draws, but scoring one more goal (7-6).

Memory seems to tell me, however, that other decisive factors like head-to-head and disciplinary points are relatively new rules.

Under the rules of the time, based on the tied scenario above, would there have been a play off to decide the league or would the league title have been shared?

Also interesting to see that had there been three points for a win that season, three teams would have tied on 80 points.

I can't remember quite so tight a finish involving three different teams in the years since.

Looks like a great season. I'm just a touch too young to remember it in any detail, my first game coming the season following. IMG_20200701_223855.jpegIMG_20200701_224839.jpeg

From memory Dundee Utd came up late on the inside rails and began to look like serious contenders after a midweek win at Celtic Park. Dons and Celtic were the favourites almost up to the final day. My recollection, perhaps faulty, is that most neutrals were pleased with the outcome as it signalled a possible end to Old Firm control, although Rangers were miles away from winning the league in those days and Dons were recent champions. The gap in OF spending power and the others on transfers and wages was negligible compared to now. 

Cont...in those days you could breenge up to even an OF game and pay at the gate. A few of us were in Glasgow that last Saturday and on a whim decided to go to Ibrox to see a potentially historic game. Took one look at the queue and canned it. Jumped on the Subway back to town and went record shopping. Home in time to see the scenes from Dens on the news.

Accies on their way to winning the 91/92 B&Q Cup against Ayr Utd. In front of almost 10,000 at Fir Park.

This was the first <cough> major trophy the club had won.

In a tragic turn of events, a day or so later, someone broke into the Douglas Park <cough again> trophy room and stole it.

Police Scotland continues to look for some bad boys from Blantyre wot must've dun it.

20200702_073158.jpg

Edited by Academically Deficient
Spelling

9 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Looks like a great season. I'm just a touch too young to remember it in any detail, my first game coming the season following. 

Tense last half hour understates it but not so much because of Dundee pulling one back (that happened in the first half). Celtic played Rangers on the last day. At half time Rangers were 2-0 up meaning that in the second half Celtic had to score four without reply and Dundee equalise to deny us the title. Celtic did score four (including two dubious penalties) but thankfully Dundee were (as usual) pish. The tense half hour was more due to the regular score updates coming through from Ibrox. 

Momentous day. Hard to believe but Jim McLean smiled!

Edited by Arabdownunder
oops

11 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

IMG_20200701_212637.jpg

It's definitely Cappielow - Look at the dug outs and the fact the stand at the left hand side comes right to the front of the pitch.

Ally Mauchlen was one of my favourite Killie players of the late 70s and early 80s and one of the hardest players I ever watched. 

10 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

It would have been a play-off. The head-to-head rule was only introduced in Scottish football when the SPFL merger happened back in 2013. There is no rule relating to disciplinary points.

4 hours ago, Academically Deficient said:

Accies on their way to winning the 91/92 B&Q Cup against Ayr Utd. In front of almost 10,000 at Fir Park.

This was the first <cough> major trophy the club had won.

In a tragic turn of events, a day or so later, someone broke into the Douglas Park <cough again> trophy room and stole it.

Police Scotland continues to look for some bad boys from Blantyre wot must've dun it.

20200702_073158.jpg

The Accies fanzine Crying Time Again nicknamed the trophy "The Bottle" - "we've got the bottle to win The Bottle". 

Here's sexy Alan Ferguson with "The Bottle" 

bandq.jpg.847f8dcc123e09b2f4f37642a738def2.jpg

Does it look nice on your mantlepiece Academically Deficient... :whistle

I don't know if it was that season's B&Q Cup but Accies and Meadowbank played out a draw in one B&Q Cup tie followed by a particularly chronic penalty shootout which ended 2-1 after about 10 penalties on each side were taken...