A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

1 hour ago, Chapelhall chap said:

The guy in blue looks like George McLean ( rangers/dundee /ayr etc)

erm...and St. Mirren where he started his career, was a runner up in the 1961/62 Scottish Cup final and a record transfer fee between 2 Scottish clubs when Rangers signed him.

but I have no idea about the rest . Highland league team in Cup?

You genuinely don't recognise the badge on the black and white shirt? :1eye

43 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Why did they play at Dam Park? Was Somerset being renovated?

Not sure exactly why, but they played their three League Cup group games away from Somerset Park that season - they played St Mirren and Clydebank at Dam Park and Rangers at Rugby Park. They were back at Somerset in time for the league season starting.

Edited by craigkillie

5 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Not sure exactly why, but they played their three League Cup group games away from Somerset Park that season - they played St Mirren and Clydebank at Dam Park and Rangers at Rugby Park. They were back at Somerset in time for the league season starting.

"While re-turfing work was being carried out at Somerset Park at the start of the 1972/3 season, Ayr United decanted to Dam Park to play their League Cup sectional ties against St.Mirren and Clydebank with the 'home match against Rangers being played at the home of county rivals Kilmarnock."

Source: https://web.archive.org/web/20110929190649/http://www.ayrunitedfc.co.uk/about_club_history_somerset_park.asp

18 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

The guy in blue looks like George McLean ( rangers/dundee /ayr etc) but I have no idea about the rest . Highland league team in Cup?

19 hours ago, paulbrucerick said:

Don't know if this has been posted before. Teams, players and location?

20200609_202851.jpg

The guy on his knees looks a bit like Ian Ure.

21 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

erm...and St. Mirren where he started his career, was a runner up in the 1961/62 Scottish Cup final and a record transfer fee between 2 Scottish clubs when Rangers signed him.

You genuinely don't recognise the badge on the black and white shirt? :1eye

Thanks for all the later info. I am afraid to say I did'nt recognise it at all , not being an expert on the Paisley saints ( and it was late at night when i first saw the post!)  I also have no idea where Dam Park was/is but I will google it. Take care

Edited by Chapelhall chap
spelling error

apr-1990-john-collins-of-scotland-clashes-with-hendrik-herzog-of-east-picture-id1014867?k=6%26m=1014867%26s=612x612%26w=0%26h=ph1qXn6NSHXbEbM_OvqWQ2Avaku7RcUiALFZVURK3PA=&key=4ee885a941cacf1acd7d3a9c6d0955b8f9c897fff9be017d01f4cef183e3eb79
John Collins and Hendrik Herzog indulge in a spot of crab fitba' on the Hampden turf. Scotland 0 East Germany 1, April 1990.
The East Germans would play only twice more after this. Following a 3-3 draw with Brazil in Rio, they rounded off their history with an impressive 2-0 defeat of Belgium in Brussels.

That win in Brussels even more impressive when you see the circumstances. Squad of 13 or something. Debuts for a few older guys etc. Most East German Germans didn't want to know.

The game in Brussels was supposed to be their first qualifier for Euro 92. Unification put paid to that and it was played as a friendly. Incidentally it wasn't due to be their last game - they were due to play a 'celebration' game against the West but it was cancelled due to crowd trouble at a game somewhere else in Germany.

I wonder though if that game in Brussels might be the only case of a country being represented that didn't actually exist anymore? - Arguably the CIS that played at Euro 92 were not a country and I can't think of any others.

3 minutes ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

I wonder though if that game in Brussels might be the only case of a country being represented that didn't actually exist anymore? - Arguably the CIS that played at Euro 92 were not a country and I can't think of any others.

Saar played in qualifiers for the 1954 World Cup finishing 2nd in a group with West Germany and Norway.

It became part of West Germany the following year.

59 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Thanks for all the later info. I am afraid to say I did'nt recognise it at all , not being an expert on the Paisley saints ( and it was late at night when i first saw the post!)  I also have no idea where Dam Park was/is but I will google it. Take care

Dam Park is just across the river from the railway station. Whitletts currently play home games there. The stand is a listed building, grade 2 I think.

11258446403_af73f07eaf_b-1.jpg

3 hours ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

That win in Brussels even more impressive when you see the circumstances. Squad of 13 or something. Debuts for a few older guys etc. Most East German Germans didn't want to know.

The game in Brussels was supposed to be their first qualifier for Euro 92. Unification put paid to that and it was played as a friendly. Incidentally it wasn't due to be their last game - they were due to play a 'celebration' game against the West but it was cancelled due to crowd trouble at a game somewhere else in Germany.

Czechoslovakia took part in the 1994 World Cup qualifiers, but split into Czech Republic and Slovakia halfway through them in 1993. They then continued to compete as "Representation of Czechs and Slovaks" (RCS), and narrowly missed out on qualifying after drawing 0-0 in Brussels in their final game - had they won they would have qualified instead of Belgium.

Dam Park is just across the river from the railway station. Whitletts currently play home games there. The stand is a listed building, grade 2 I think.
11258446403_af73f07eaf_b-1.thumb.jpg.2231d70b39b6abc303a2a8522886db09.jpg

Very similar stand to the one at netherdale (gala fairydeans home ground). Which is also listed i think.

23 hours ago, paulbrucerick said:

Thanks for the classy photo and I  did find stuff on Wiki etc. I had heard of Whifflets Victoria in my limited knowledge of Junior Football so it's good to learn more. take care

Serbia and Montenegro at the 2006 World Cup. Their 1st group game was a week (I think) after the country split into 2.

Czechoslovakia took part in the 1994 World Cup qualifiers, but split into Czech Republic and Slovakia halfway through them in 1993. They then continued to compete as "Representation of Czechs and Slovaks" (RCS), and narrowly missed out on qualifying after drawing 0-0 in Brussels in their final game - had they won they would have qualified instead of Belgium.
Should have thought of this. Officially split in January 93 and given the qualification would have started in the autumn of 92 was a fairly obvious example.

Suppose this one is maybe a little bit closer to the CIS though, playing as a representative side rather than a nation.

Fife Derby 1996. The official Pars Facebook page has been posting about classic games and this was today's.

3-1 Pars. In fact we won all 4 derbies that season.

FB_IMG_1591966491042.thumb.jpg.af9187c26d29e641c0ff8cad504d9236.jpg

FB_IMG_1591966479901.thumb.jpg.526643bc616abac095c3dd63cd57be6b.jpg

East End was great then. So sad to see what it is now.

On 10/06/2020 at 21:57, paulbrucerick said:

I've always liked the architecture of the stand at Dam Park, and the location of the stadium is good too with the train station and the pubs nearby - but overall I'm not a massive fan as in the stand you feel like you're a fair distance away from the pitch and every time I visit it seems to be cold and rainy.  The worst time I went was when I was in 6th year at school my pals were in the school team in the Ayrshire cup and even though it was this time of year, it just seemed to be oddly cold up the back of the stand. As things were I can't remember who the opposition was - possibly Loudoun or St. Joseph's, but Grange lost anyway.