A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

1 minute ago, Jacksgranda said:

Which one's which...

Believe the third picture, the one with the game on is the 1991 picture. It'd be easier to tell if they'd shown the old stand with the extension that is now the main stand at Beechwood Park in Auchinleck instead of the other side of the ground right enough, it wasn't there in 1981. 

4 hours ago, Lurkst said:

NINTCHDBPICT000000879439.jpg

Pat Gardner gives Dunfermline the lead against Hearts in the 1968 Scottish Cup final.

The official attendance of 56,366 was the lowest for a Hampden Scottish Cup final at that point, although there looks about half that many spectators in this photo alone!

This was my first cup final. Crowd looks loads more than reported. I remember going along to a few finals even though we were not involved, the other two were 1976 Rangers 3-1 Hearts and Aberdeen 3-0 Hearts in 1986. Bit of a coincidence going on there.  Also went along to a few junior finals with Kilsyth, Johnstone B and Cambuslang winning. 

On 13/05/2020 at 03:30, GordonS said:

Slowly making my way through this brilliant thread. I'm only up to the end of September.

My secondary school is in that picture above, and I'd say that's the best picture of Hampden and Cathkin I've seen. Anyone know the date of this one?

The first time I went to any football match my dad bunged the steward at the foot of the west tower on the main stand. No idea how much. It was Scotland v Belgium, 1983. 

We all attended the home internationals in the 70s and I remember that is how we got in. Few coins to the turnstile guy at the Rangers end and in we jumped. 

Not England I might add.

Edited by SouthLanarkshireWhite

10 minutes ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

This was my first cup final. Crowd looks loads more than reported. I remember going along to a few finals even though we were not involved, the other two were 1976 Rangers 3-1 Hearts and Aberdeen 3-0 Hearts in 1986. Bit of a coincidence going on there.  Also went along to a few junior finals with Kilsyth, Johnstone B and Cambuslang winning. 

I think I can spot a bit of a pattern there. You're a bit a Jonah, no? With all due respect, can you please GTF and not attend any more of our Scottish Cup finals? Thank you very much

Just now, Pet Jeden said:

I think I can spot a bit of a pattern there. You're a bit a Jonah, no? With all due respect, can you please GTF and not attend any more of our Scottish Cup finals? Thank you very much

Got to say I did feel a bit sorry for you at the last one. In the absence of us getting there I needed someone else to watch. Not really the done thing now.

9 hours ago, Lurkst said:

NINTCHDBPICT000000879439.jpg

Pat Gardner gives Dunfermline the lead against Hearts in the 1968 Scottish Cup final.

The official attendance of 56,366 was the lowest for a Hampden Scottish Cup final at that point, although there looks about half that many spectators in this photo alone!

I vaguely remember that because neither of the gruesome twosome were involved, the majority of fans were in the two enclosures and two stands, rather than behind the goals.

4 hours ago, Pet Jeden said:

Any more........?

10 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

It is yes. John Brogan in the suit. Ex Bairns Jim Kerr and Stuart Robertson in there.

Brogan also in the St Johnstone pic from... 1982 or 83?

The guy behind Brogan in the St Johnstone pic looks a bit like McCoist, but surely he was away by then?

There's fck all wrong with the photo. It was your petty wee point-scoring point I was having a dig at. Older Celtic fans will themselves remember green, white and gold/yellow flags at football matches. It was the mirror image of the orange trackies you were sniggering at.
btw - you must be a wee bit ashamed that your team repudiated their own identity in the 1920s in pursuit of a few more clicks of the turnstyles.
Celtic might associate with green as it's the traditional colour of their strip. The Rangers to this day play on the "orange" association with strips and merchandise and it has not got one iota to do with anything bar bigotry. I stand to be corrected if you can provide a more pertinent reason but as the age of that picture and the OPs comments state, it was prevalent long before the Advocat era !

1412984.jpg

Colin Jackson rises above Aberdeen's defence to score an injury time winner for Rangers in the League Cup final, March 1979.

Astonishingly this was the first League Cup final not to feature Celtic since October 1963!