A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

He did pick up an injury in the cup final.  But this was surgery required for long-term niggly knee problem.  Dalglish had stated he was prepared to delay the surgery until after the World Cup, but changed his mind once the squad was announced.    

2 hours ago, Ken Fitlike said:

1947 Dons showing off the trophy we would have won yesterday.

A splendid and rare view of the Beach End long before the famous roof was put on  ( source - Picture This Scotland facebook page)

beach end.jpg

Looks more like a funeral procession than a celebration

8 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

In those days we complained about David Speedie.

It's true of course that we had better quality players in the 1960s, 1970s, 1980s and stretching into the 1990s. We qualified for five straight finals and even qualified for a last eight in Europe. However, there seemed to be a mindset by the SFA, players, media and, possibly to a certain extent, the supporters that qualification was a mountain climbed and anything more would be a bonus. Consequently, the bonus never arrived and we were pumped out each and every time at the first hurdle.

It's part of an inferiority complex Scottish football and it's people hold. When BBC Scotland cover Scotland games and European matches against good sides, they speak about their good players like our lot shouldn't be on the pitch with them.

The excuse was that we're a small nation and can't really compete with the larger countries but then Denmark win Euro92. Now they tell us that football has changed, and all these countries have joined UEFA/FIFA which makes it extremely difficult to even qualify but then Wales reached the Euro16 semi-finals.

I don't think we should look back and think how great we've been. We've always been pish but in the past there was a few more glimmers of light in amongst the failure.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

Not a photo but a video clip of jock stein talking before Aberdeen/Real CWC final, sounds like dons fans singing You’ll never walk Alone in the background, never knew they sang that.

Before my time but I understand it was occasionally belted out by Dons fans. I think it used to be a lot more universal - ITV had extended highlights of an Arsenal - Man U cup final (1980-ish) the other day and it was getting sung there too.

1 hour ago, resk said:
1 hour ago, Drew Brees said:
Not a photo but a video clip of jock stein talking before Aberdeen/Real CWC final, sounds like dons fans singing You’ll never walk Alone in the background, never knew they sang that.

Before my time but I understand it was occasionally belted out by Dons fans. I think it used to be a lot more universal - ITV had extended highlights of an Arsenal - Man U cup final (1980-ish) the other day and it was getting sung there too.

Was watching these highlights the other night, Tartan Army singing YNWA at 4:45...

23 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

Was watching these highlights the other night, Tartan Army singing YNWA at 4:45...

Does that second goal count as one of Dalglish's 30 international goals?  It's an even clearer og than the one credited to Jordan before it?

11 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Does that second goal count as one of Dalglish's 30 international goals?  It's an even clearer og than the one credited to Jordan before it?

I always thought it was credited to Colin Todd and I’m sure the other was an o.g. too.

Just checked and they’re given as Todd and Pejic. You have to remember that Coleman was a complete arse.

Check the 1976 game when we beat England 2-1. We get our own commentator at the time, but when you search for it now, you get Coleman, who shouts “yes!” When Channon puts them ahead.

Edited by The Mantis
Brain fart

17 hours ago, Drew Brees said:

During lockdown I've been watching some of the old football from 70s and 80s being shown by Sky, BT Sport etc. You'll Never Walk Alone seems to be sung during quite a lot of matches involving various teams.

7 hours ago, The Mantis said:

I always thought it was credited to Colin Todd and I’m sure the other was an o.g. too.

Just checked and they’re given as Todd and Pejic. You have to remember that Coleman was a complete arse.

Check the 1976 game when we beat England 2-1. We get our own commentator at the time, but when you search for it now, you get Coleman, who shouts “yes!” When Channon puts them ahead.

Does he not shout that for the Jordan/Pejic goal there too?