A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

Rangers play a game against Jeanfield Swifts as the Swifts get a set of floodlights. The game was played at the Simpson Park which is now housing. 

A new set of floodlights are being installed at Riverside Park (The swifts new ground) this year. 

EWDnCEZX0AAHxGQ?format=jpg&name=medium

EWDnBnwWsAIX2fC?format=jpg&name=large

8 hours ago, realmadrid said:

Rangers play a game against Jeanfield Swifts as the Swifts get a set of floodlights. The game was played at the Simpson Park which is now housing. 

A new set of floodlights are being installed at Riverside Park (The swifts new ground) this year. 

EWDnCEZX0AAHxGQ?format=jpg&name=medium

EWDnBnwWsAIX2fC?format=jpg&name=large

I had to be separated from Ian Durrant that night, he was not stripped to play but was there in the dugout. We were standing near the dugouts and there were a couple of kids sitting in front of the barrier, they obviously were a distraction to him as he came out hurling abuse at them for being in his view. We told him to shut up and sit back down which he took exception to, so I told him I'd stuff his shitey black leather jacket down his throat, this enraged him even more, which was a nice surprise, he squared up to me and some guy in a rangers tracksuit came out and dragged him into the dugout again.  Bearing in mind I was a teenager and not a very big one at that and he was on the verge of/ breaking through at rangers I'd probably have been put on my arse, was I f**k backing down from him though, c**t.

Edited by tree house tam
Stupid phone

I had to be separated from Ian Durrant that night, he was not stripped to play but was there in the dugout. We were standing near the dugouts and there were a couple of kids sitting in front of the barrier, they obviously were a distraction to him as he came out hurling abuse at them for being in his view. We told him to shut up and sit back down which he took exception to, so I told him I'd stuff his shitey black leather jacket down his throat, this enraged him even more, which was a nice surprise, he squared up to me and some guy in a rangers tracksuit came out and dragged him into the dugout again.  Bearing in mind I was a teenager and not a very big one at that and he was on the verge of/ breaking through at rangers I'd probably have been put on my arse, was I f**k backing down from him though, c**t.

He’d just have fallen at you feet and rolled around pretending to be injured for years, like he famously did later in his career.

On 21 April 2020 at 08:44, tree house tam said:

Perth Casuals?

4 hours ago, Drew Brees said:

IMG_9774.jpg

wow never seen that pic of Tom McAdam.  Who would guess that with no name below?

Another cracker with Davie Provan and what a classic St Mirren strip.

On 22/04/2020 at 16:56, Sergeant Wilson said:

Young people today should be reminded that football was a game for the over 60s before SKY took over. You were allowed one young player to do the running.

What age was Tom Callaghan there looks in his late 50s 

On 19/04/2020 at 01:55, tamthebam said:

It's interesting that you have recognisable names in the Scotland team-Hewitt, Malpas,  ?Gardner Spiers, ?Iain Ferguson, ?Jim McIntyre, ?Johnny Doyle and only Tommy Caton and Terry Gibson are really recognisable in England's team.

I keep thinking that's Bonnyrigg's old player Jock Landells at No 5 but probably not!

I don't think Maurice Malpas and Jim McIntyre would have played together at that level, given that the former is a decade older.

Kevin Brock also had a decent enough career.

Never knew much about this club until recently. Played in Holloway, an amateur side mainly for Scots. They won the FA Amateur Cup in 1923, and went under with the advent of the Second World War. London Caledonians were formed along the same lines as Rugby Union's London Scottish, eight years after that sports club was established, with Caley starting up in 1886.

1539367408_LondonCaledonians.thumb.jpg.b6c2c097bc1f989c2cd94a3150c32f1d.jpg

47933649_WilliamHayinthecoloursofLondonCaledonians.thumb.jpg.8909f1eac45099e857b72ac5d230ff65.jpg

William Hay in the colours of London Caledonians (however, the shorts are normally listed as being blue).

Some links with information about 'The Calies':

https://gameofthepeople.com/2018/05/01/when-amateur-meant-amateur-the-london-caledonians/

http://boxtoboxfootball.uk/the-non-league-100-the-london-caledonians/

This site details, with press cuttings, the club's former name of United London Scottish

http://thestrawplaiters.com/a-to-z-of-clubs/

3 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

I seem to remember the drama unfolding on the radio.

It must have been the radio updates! Hard to believe that the title decider was on at exactly the same time as the Scottish Cup Final. Even harder to believe that there was no radio commentary from Tynecastle, with the state broadcaster having opted to cover the Scottish Cup Final, despite Celtic finishing only eighth in the league and not having won anything for eight years. Sad sign of things to come from the Scottish media!
Delete