A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

1969, in Portland, Oregon.

I'm not sure if this was the first ever game between an English and Scottish side on artificial turf, but the Hammers adapted better, scoring six goals in the opening 30 or so minutes, winning 8-2 against Dundee United. Hurst, Peters and a young Harry Rednapp were among WHU's scorers.

Bobby Moore Doug Smith.jpg

1 hour ago, paulbrucerick said:

Pardon the lockdown induced pedantry, the actual colours of the Irish tricolour are green, white and orange  

Of course it is. And for a reason. But people who wrote song lyrics about green white and gold and took non official coloured flags to football matches were making a point.

Edited by Pet Jeden

Of course it is. And for a reason. But people who wrote song lyrics about green white and gold and took non official coloured flags to football matches were making a point.

Green white and yellow is the flag for the sparsely populated county of Offaly in west Leinster

It maybe that thousands of Celtic fans just happened to have some connections with that county

But that would be ...

... an Offaly strange coincidence

I’ll get my coat

On 05/04/2020 at 08:57, paulbrucerick said:

My old man was a journalist and he said you always felt like you were going to tip forward onto the pitch.

There is an exhibit in the Hampden museum of it. I dont know if it is a reconstruction or part of the original press box though.

It's part of the original, it definitely wouldn't have been my preferred viewing point for games at the old stadium!

10 hours ago, Pet Jeden said:

Okay - so it's a nod to something they identify themselves with. It was maybe  becoming a bit childish and irrelevant and out of place by the 1980s. But do we  snigger at the idea of Celtic identifying with green? (and up to the 1970s very often green white and yellow flags were common place)

I thought what he said as pretty funny. And why you would think to mention Celtic supporters identifying with green, given that their team has always played in the colour, is mystifying.

A 1/3 complete Muirton Park enclosure with floodlights that the league said were only fit for training.

St Johnstone 4-3 Partick thistle 2/9/1961 in the final group game of the league cup that season

Our club historian Brian Doyle stated on twitter that number 8 in the photo is Ronnie Wright who had just scored the fourth and winning gaol. Saints were 2-0 down at half time and 3-2 down in the second half. 

That result means Saints win the section eliminating Celtic whom we beat home and away, and Hibs, who "Hibsed it" losing there last two games to go from top of the group of 4 to 3rd in the table. Thistle finished last with 3 points from their 6 games.

The attendance was around 10,000

EVKsSfrU0AAJnLD?format=jpg&name=small

On 15/03/2020 at 09:34, LincolnHearts said:

A couple of Celtic and St Mirren legends in some naff photoshoot, one at the tail end of his career, one at the beginning. 

Free 24 pack of toilet roll for the best caption for what Frank McGarvey is saying to Paul Lambert here.

FB_IMG_1584213134275.jpg

"D'ye ken ah played fur Liverpool.  The've wun the European Cup.  You'll never win that, son"

1 hour ago, realmadrid said:

Another picture from the Saints v Partick thistle game in 1961 as Matt McVittie celebrates a goal scored by Charlie McFarlyen

EIYFdURWoAEedN-?format=jpg&name=small

If that's the East terrace why is the roof missing? Apparently the shed was built in the 1950s.

2 hours ago, realmadrid said:

John Brogan getting a boot to Ian Rodger to mark him becoming the clubs all time record goal scorer . Ian had scored 116 goals and Brogan went on to score 140.

EU6LAlLXsAAolq5?format=jpg&name=4096x409

It was nice of Yosser Hughes to turn up. Is he standing behind Ian Rodger to ask him "gissa job".

Good photos btw.

4 hours ago, realmadrid said:

John Brogan in action for Saints at the old classic ground of Broomfield with the pavilion behind the goal.

EVOyP7wUYAAmXVM?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Just love that old Airdrie kit, absolute classic. Not sure why, as they gave Killie some real doings in the eighties.