A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

1 hour ago, The Nightfly said:
3 hours ago, Drew Brees said:
Jimmy Johnstone in action in what looks like a pre season friendly in a junior/amateur ground. I’m sure someone will know the details.

IMG_8370.thumb.jpg.e93e890c3d3f9eade0bda56357804bbe.jpg

Looks like a match on an overseas pre-season tour to me. "I N" on the banner maybe Internazionale ?

Look at the physique of that defender! You can understand how they might just have underestimated Celtic - with wee Jimmy Johnstone, podgy Bobby Murdoch and bandy Bobby Lennox

Edited by Pet Jeden

16 hours ago, Drew Brees said:

Jimmy Johnstone in action in what looks like a pre season friendly in a junior/amateur ground. I’m sure someone will know the details.

IMG_8370.jpg

That is remarkable.

They must have positioned the TV cameras so it didn't look too shite, much like they do at Hamilton and Falkirk.

What was the crowd for that piddling wee fixture?

That is remarkable.
They must have positioned the TV cameras so it didn't look too shite, much like they do at Hamilton and Falkirk.
What was the crowd for that piddling wee fixture?

45k I believe. Imagine growing to watch your team in a European cup final and standing pitch side like a Sunday morning game. Weird stadium bu the looks of it.

1 minute ago, Drew Brees said:

45k I believe. Imagine growing to watch your team in a European cup final and standing pitch side like a Sunday morning game. Weird stadium bu the looks of it.

It really must have been an oddly configured stadium if it could accommodate a crowd like that, with a section like the one in the picture.

What does the place look like now?  Celtic fans still visit it, don't they?

26 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It really must have been an oddly configured stadium if it could accommodate a crowd like that, with a section like the one in the picture.

What does the place look like now?  Celtic fans still visit it, don't they?

It's  much the same, it only ever gets used for the cup final I think.

41 minutes ago, paulbrucerick said:

Tryfield Place in Ayr1975. I think these were the last residents left in the old flats across from the stand at Somerset. I still wonder what it must have been like in that street after a big game came out.

FB_IMG_1580076539750.jpg

Great photo .never knew the houses still stood in the 70s .is that isa in the middle ? .

1 hour ago, paulbrucerick said:

Tryfield Place in Ayr1975. I think these were the last residents left in the old flats across from the stand at Somerset. I still wonder what it must have been like in that street after a big game came out.

FB_IMG_1580076539750.jpg

Brilliant picture. I always struggle to imagine houses being there given it's so open with the car park there now, must have been incredibly tight when there was a big fixture on.

On 25/01/2020 at 20:03, Pet Jeden said:

Look at the physique of that defender! You can understand how they might just have underestimated Celtic - with wee Jimmy Johnstone, podgy Bobby Murdoch and bandy Bobby Lennox

There is a '' contrast '' photo of J.J. and the Inter left full back

On 16/01/2020 at 15:37, A96 said:

Aberdeen were two points behind Celtic and had a goal difference six worse than a Celtic going into our last game which was at home against the Hvns.   We blitzed them in the first half and were 4-nil up at half time.  Despite the news that Celtic were drawing nil-nil at half time , I can remember the general feeling that there was really no chance of St Mirren beating them.

Instead the game against the Hvns was seen more as a dress-rehearsal and confidence booster for the Scottish Cup Final seven days later. When we scored four against them again.

In the league we’d gone on an incredible run , losing only once in the last 16 games and winning the rest.  Dons fans of a certain age will probably be able to guess which team were the only ones to beat us in that run.

Dundee Utd. or Morton ?

Edited by ewan14

15 minutes ago, ewan14 said:

Which country got the best result ?

Scotland got Brazil, USSR and New Zealand and went out.

Northern Ireland got Spain, Honduras and Yugoslavia and went into the second knock out phase where they were knocked out. 

England got France, Czechoslovakia and Kuwait and, like NI went to the second group phase and were eliminated there.

Bizzare format for the 78 and 82 World Cups, top two from each group went into a second group phase, four groups of three where each group winner went into the semi finals.