A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

What was the story of Celtic's season that saw them in such trouble?

I think they just generally weren't very good after the war. The previous season they had finished 7th (out of 16), but had been in the bottom half until they picked up 7 wins and 2 draws in the last 9 games of the season. In fact, their run of finishes in the seven seasons after WWII was 7, 12, 6, 5, 7, 9, 8. Jimmy McGrory stayed in the job and won the league the following season, but then kept the job until the mid 60s despite never winning it again. At that point Stein came in and very quickly rebuilt them.

24 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I think they just generally weren't very good after the war. The previous season they had finished 7th (out of 16), but had been in the bottom half until they picked up 7 wins and 2 draws in the last 9 games of the season. In fact, their run of finishes in the seven seasons after WWII was 7, 12, 6, 5, 7, 9, 8. Jimmy McGrory stayed in the job and won the league the following season, but then kept the job until the mid 60s despite never winning it again. At that point Stein came in and very quickly rebuilt them.

Yes, I hadn't realised until I checked there, that Celtic were so poor for most of the first two decades after the war.   They didn't even manage that many top 3 finishes.

3 hours ago, jagfox99 said:

JH09.thumb.jpg.8c4c5602122891407c88d26db4fcc057.jpg.b83d6256cac5ce2756b7510b27d2815a.jpg

IMG_20191129_025655.thumb.jpg.c92432f67d1fb8db558d8ccda9fe062f.jpgFB_IMG_1575389679729.thumb.jpg.0010be0b9eb44a063878e6f05cc40072.jpg

Some wartime Thistle pictures. Anyone spot the player who would go on to become a very famous manager?

You want to know how hard players were in them brutal days? Often they would chop a man in half then wrestle with his legless torso - just for a laugh. That's how hard they used to be!

Edited by Pet Jeden