A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

15 minutes ago, rainbowrising said:

Nothing bizarre about it. Testimonials can be a decent match allowing players to play. Throwing yourself from a wall at a free kick 20+ yards out? You think people 10 years later are going to be saying 'why did he no block that?'.  

I doubt people will remember much of anything from testimonials.

But I still don't see an issue with a player trying to stop a goal in a match, testimonial or not.

10 hours ago, rainbowrising said:

Nothing bizarre about it. Testimonials can be a decent match allowing players to play. Throwing yourself from a wall at a free kick 20+ yards out? You think people 10 years later are going to be saying 'why did he no block that?'.  

It looks like it was a testimonial/pre-season game. If it was, then within certain limits ie aggressive behaviour or deliberate attempts to "do" a player, then the idea is to prepare for competitive games.

I'm quite surprised at having to explain this.

Celtic overturn a 2-0 defeat in the first leg of the UEFA cup to Sporting Lisbon with a 5-0 win in the return at Celtic Park in 1983, five different goalscorers, Burns, McClair, MacLeod, McAdam and McGarvey, oddly both clubs wore their respective hoops in the away leg, Celtic in their rather fetching lime green kit here, the recently deceased Portugese legend Rui Jordao was a starter in both legs for Sporting who were then coached by a certain Dr Josef Venglos.

IMG_20191101_203702.jpg

1637305031_SpectatorsataHeartsfootballmatchinEdinburgh1955.jpg.38f6e8622dac06cd74adeff8374df4d3.jpg

Fans at Tynecastle, 1950s. 

I watched Hearts v Bayern Munich from the window of one of those tenements in 1989 as my friend's dad was a solicitor and his firm were selling one of the flats at the time. Walnut Mercenary was charging the unheard of ticket price of 20 nicker to watch the game.

Jings! Crivvens! 20 quid to watch Hearts, who'd have thought it?! 

On 09/10/2019 at 16:02, Archie McSquackle said:

What season is that from? No Tayside representation and a couple of current League One teams.

What was the lifespan of teletext? I remember it early 80s but no idea when it was first available.

1637305031_SpectatorsataHeartsfootballmatchinEdinburgh1955.jpg.38f6e8622dac06cd74adeff8374df4d3.jpg

I watched Hearts v Bayern Munich from the window of one of those tenements in 1989 as my friend's dad was a solicitor and his firm were selling one of the flats at the time. Walnut Mercenary was charging the unheard of ticket price of 20 nicker to watch the game.

To put the £20 price tag in perspective, I remember my ticket for the Scottish Cup final 2 years later being £7. Admittedly we were playing Dundee United rather than Bayern Munich.

20 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:
On 06/11/2019 at 23:14, tamthebam said:

To put the £20 price tag in perspective, I remember my ticket for the Scottish Cup final 2 years later being £7. Admittedly we were playing Dundee United rather than Bayern Munich.

According to the Bank of England's inflation calculator, that £20 in 1989 is equivalent to £48.88 in 2018, so not too far off that at current standards. Bloody hell! Most I've ever paid for a ticket for the fitba was £53 for Newcastle v Crystal Palace in the Platinum Club, which would be equivalent to £58.29 last year. I'm glad booze was available at the ground for that particular fixture. 

I was still at school so it was only a tenner which seemed heavy

It turned out to be great value

£20/£10 then is just short of £50/£25 now so it was about as expensive as a cup final but it’s the only UEFA cup quarter final ticket I’ll ever have to pay for.