A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

43 minutes ago, sjc said:

Why was the Cup Final played on the 11th of April? Wasn't it always played in May as the final game of the season?

It used to be played before the league season finished and there was a full programme of league games the same day, except for the finalists and Queen’s Park if they had a home game. Think it changed in the 70’s.

Why was the Cup Final played on the 11th of April? Wasn't it always played in May as the final game of the season?
It used to be played before the league season finished and there was a full programme of league games the same day, except for the finalists and Queen’s Park if they had a home game. Think it changed in the 70’s.
I believe that the 1970 final was the last one to be played in April.

23 hours ago, Eednud said:

Indeed, the day we won the league the radio coverage was all about the cup final with Celtic beating Dunfermline. My dad listened to it with my papa on the radio and every five minutes or so you would get a score update from Tynecastle - it just wouldn't be done like that nowadays.

I think you're right. Almost certain it was before the England game at Hampden in 1968. It was in February, which explains the snow on the hills. One of the forwards must have dropped out because I remember John Hughes scoring. Their goal came from a defensive howler.

I think that's at Largs (Inverclyde)

10 minutes ago, lionel wickson said:

I think you're right. Almost certain it was before the England game at Hampden in 1968. It was in February, which explains the snow on the hills. One of the forwards must have dropped out because I remember John Hughes scoring. Their goal came from a defensive howler.

Alan Gilzean had an injury and was replaced by John Hughes. Game was played in February as the British Home Championship doubled up as a qualifying group for the 1968 European Championship. The group stage had to be completed early as the first leg of the play-offs for 8 group winners wee scheduled for early April.

21 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

FB_IMG_1568638659435.jpg

The row with the ref at the end ............ "For auld Lang syne , my dear, for auld lang syne ......"

And is that a young Freddie Mercury sans moustache between Jardine and Stanton?

🎶

Edited by A96

On 12/09/2019 at 23:58, Drew Brees said:

UEFA U18 European Champions 198269992228_10220662361295847_1343496857162088448_n.jpeg

Back Row: Jim Dobbin, Ally Dick, Dave Beaumont, David Rennie, Robin Rae, Brian Rice, Billy Livingstone, Gary Mackay, Ian Westwater
Front Row: Sammy McGivern, Jim McInally, Gary McGinnis, John Philliben, Paul McStay, Dave Bowman, Pat Nevin.

And here's head coach Andy Roxburgh being hoisted aloft with the trophy...

_96246854_roxburgh.jpg

5 hours ago, IggyStooge said:

Back Row: Jim Dobbin, Ally Dick, Dave Beaumont, David Rennie, Robin Rae, Brian Rice, Billy Livingstone, Gary Mackay, Ian Westwater
Front Row: Sammy McGivern, Jim McInally, Gary McGinnis, John Philliben, Paul McStay, Dave Bowman, Pat Nevin.

And here's head coach Andy Roxburgh being hoisted aloft with the trophy...

_96246854_roxburgh.jpg

Robin Rae was a bit of a lad by all accounts... 

After being released by Hibs he played in the Juniors (for Bonnyrigg among others) as a forward to good effect! 

Dave Bowman is the only ex-Meadowbank Thistle ballboy to be a European Champion- FACT! 

On 14/09/2019 at 12:57, sjc said:

No, Scottish Cup Finals were quite often played when league games were on.