A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

Celtic fans escaping a crush at the City Ground, Nottingham Forest v Celtic, UEFA Cup, November 1983.

A gate opened just in time prevented fatalities according to eyewitnesses, scenes eerily similar to the tragic events that would unfold in Sheffield six years later. 

FB_IMG_1567615179316.jpg

2 hours ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

Hampden as construction gets underway on the South Stand

ham3.jpg

Easter Road with Arthur's Seat in the background

easterrd.jpg

Hard to beat a Mantis pic 😉

The Easter Road one was December 93: Hibs 5 Thistle 1.

The Hampden one was QP v ICT, March 97. The day the “let’s all do the Tokely” chant was born. Before all the St Mirren fans pile in, it was just a goal celebration, not the customary assault. I tried to get a photo looking back the way from the gap site, but the jobsworth wouldn’t let me through the dirty muckle fence.

7 hours ago, The_Judge said:

With a Scotland double header approaching here's a flash back to Alan Hansen taking the piss out of the Brazilian legend Socrates during the 1982 World Cup....I can't recall the final score :whistle

22331_2.jpg

Another one I was at. Great Scotland team, but I think the Brazilians we watched playing football outside would have beat them. Maybe not 4-1.

queens-park-and-scotland-hampden-park-so

An excellent picture of the old meeting the new at Hampden in 1993

Edit: looking at Mantis's picture from the previous page, you can see why they never put seats into the concrete gap in the new east stand as the side/roof of the old main stand would have obscured the view of the pitch. The top of that section of the new east stand was subsequently built over to become part of the top tier of the modern south stand.

Edited by Andy_K_97

5 minutes ago, Andy_K_97 said:

An excellent picture of the old meeting the new at Hampden in 1993

Edit: looking at Mantis's picture from the previous page, you can see why they never put seats into the concrete gap in the new east stand as the side/roof of the old main stand would have obscured the view of the pitch. The top of that section of the new east stand was subsequently built over to become part of the top tier of the modern south stand.

Furthermore, here 's almost the exact same view from a similar spot a few years prior to this with the terraces still intact. I realise I've gone about this in the wrong order, but I do like looking at the differences between the two pictures anyway.

14 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Hard to beat a Mantis pic 😉

The Easter Road one was December 93: Hibs 5 Thistle 1.

The Hampden one was QP v ICT, March 97. The day the “let’s all do the Tokely” chant was born. Before all the St Mirren fans pile in, it was just a goal celebration, not the customary assault. I tried to get a photo looking back the way from the gap site, but the jobsworth wouldn’t let me through the dirty muckle fence.

I was at the QP v ICT game you mention.  It was Tokely's 18th birthday that day and he scored the winner I believe.

I was also sat very close to where, 18 years later, James Vincent scored the winner in the same goal to win ICT the Scottish Cup.

On 25/08/2019 at 11:26, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

The days when an enormous pipe band would march up and down Hampden before the game.

I remember Pat Nevin dribbling through the lines of pipers and drummers in the warm-up. Beats some half-assed cheerleaders any day.

The ITV Sport team having a spot of lunch at Hampden sometime in the 1970's before a Scotland v England match, Jack Charlton, Malcolm Allison, Jimmy Hill and Dickie Davies. 

The old North Stand visible behind them and the Mount Florida end which, I believe has the same roof to this day, erected in 1969.

FB_IMG_1567856016952.jpg

39 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

The ITV Sport team having a spot of lunch at Hampden sometime in the 1970's before a Scotland v England match, Jack Charlton, Malcolm Allison, Jimmy Hill and Dickie Davies. 

The old North Stand visible behind them and the Mount Florida end which, I believe has the same roof to this day, erected in 1969.

FB_IMG_1567856016952.jpg

Paddy Crerand next to Jimmy Hill?

FB_IMG_1567856016952.jpg.99eb93605bc7e8e9a42b41bb5dad45c2.jpg
I thought the roof was re-done after the other end and North stand was revamped? Where would that TV studio be, by the way? A portacabin at the top of the terracing?

57 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:
4 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

I thought the roof was re-done after the other end and North stand was revamped? Where would that TV studio be, by the way? A portacabin at the top of the terracing?

Yeah, there was a porta cabin at the base of one of the floodlights at the Kings Park/Celtic end usually in the 70's and 80's for the Cup Final and big Scotland matches.

9 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

FB_IMG_1567856016952.jpg

Nonsense. That’s corporate hospitality at Cappielow. This season.

The brown and beige era...