A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

This pic has apparently been on Twitter:

1725257550_firpark.thumb.jpg.bd2355553d58c694afd3e109e3b2f1c6.jpg

Motherwell v Hibs. 

The photo can be dated to between 1954 and 1959. Those lights on the stand were originally erected as training lights in 1954 before being used in full games. In 1959 a gale blew part of the roof off the enclosure and the more familiar Fir Park lights replaced them. 

Sharp eyed Hibee historians might be able to identify the player in the middle - I wonder if it was Jackie Plenderleith but I'm probably wrong. 

On 21/08/2019 at 17:06, Flybhoy said:

Some action involving Scottish sides in Europe from 1985, Tommy Burns against Atletico Madrid in the closed doors game after some naughty behaviour the previous season against those cheating fucking b*****ds Rapid Vienna, I'm assuming the handful of people in the background are club and UEFA officials and/or journalists. 

And Paul Sturrock trying not to fall on his arse at a snow bound Tannadice against Neuchatel Xamax with, naturally a white ball. 

IMG_20190820_230511.jpg

FB_IMG_1566402972098.jpg

Paul Sturrock executing one of his wonderful trademark turns. He was a brilliant player

On 25/08/2019 at 16:24, Ken Fitlike said:

Who else used to buy GOAL every week?

'Abbey Road era'  Baxter in contrast to his more svelte 'Hard Day's Night' prime

baxter.JPG

I bought “GOAL” every week. An upmarket “SHOOT” if I remember correctly.

This pic has apparently been on Twitter:
1725257550_firpark.thumb.jpg.bd2355553d58c694afd3e109e3b2f1c6.jpg
Motherwell v Hibs. 

The photo can be dated to between 1954 and 1959. Those lights on the stand were originally erected as training lights in 1954 before being used in full games. In 1959 a gale blew part of the roof off the enclosure and the more familiar Fir Park lights replaced them. 

Sharp eyed Hibee historians might be able to identify the player in the middle - I wonder if it was Jackie Plenderleith but I'm probably wrong. 
Looks like Mr Wharton might be the ref.

51 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Is that East End Park?

27 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

I believe it is, seen a pic before of jock stein on the pitch with the fans on the roof in the background

Yes it is.  Celtic won their third title during our 9IAR on that day.  East End Park's record attendance of just under 28,000 with another 20,000 lock out. 

1 hour ago, TheCelt67 said:

Yes it is.  Celtic won their third title during our 9IAR on that day.  East End Park's record attendance of just under 28,000 with another 20,000 lock out. 

The number locked out was counted by using the more primitive version of the Seville Calculator...............the Dunfermline Abacus

Absolutely scary seeing all those people perched on the top of a stand roof. Could you imagine it these days? Up there with flares, military grade detonators, Palestinian flags and huge banners threatening the BoD if they fcuk up 10 in a row. Carnage.

11 hours ago, TheCelt67 said:

Game was played in the midweek after Dunfermline won the SC in 1968 , the title was already assured for Celtic and Dunfermline paraded the Cup pre-match. There's a pic of Roy Barry , with the cup , and Billy McNeil , leading the teams out with their arms over each others shoulders !

7 minutes ago, billyg said:

Game was played in the midweek after Dunfermline won the SC in 1968 , the title was already assured for Celtic and Dunfermline paraded the Cup pre-match. There's a pic of Roy Barry , with the cup , and Billy McNeil , leading the teams out with their arms over each others shoulders !

I remember it very hazily  from the telly and all those bodies climbing up the pylons. Can't remember if it was on the late news or more likely, a midweek edition of Sportscene/Scotsport. Celtic were level on points with Rangers but had a much better goal average. Rangers had almost gone through the season undefeated until they lost in the last minute of the last game, 2-3 v Aberdeen at Ibrox (played at the same time as the Cup Final). It was two points for a win back then so Celtic took the title by 2 points.

Ayr United saving printing costs by printing one programme to cover four games (2012)

Image result for dick malone ayr

Soon to be ex-QOTS boss Allan Johnston scores for Sunderland in 1998.

Allan Johnston celebrates

John Baird scores to put Airdrie United 2-0 up in the Playoff Final at Somerset in 2009. Ayr came back to win 3-2 on aggregate.

PICT1098.JPG

Main Stand at Somerset before the addition of the Family Stand.

Image result for somerset park ayr