A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

59 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Too young to remember!  Was that the one against Kevin Keegan's Hamburg?

Yep, they beat Malmo 1-0 in Munich, 1979 then Hamburg by the same score in Madrid a year later. 

Only side to have won the European Cup more often than their national league title. 

4 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Doug Rougvie delivering his verdict at not being able to break anyone's leg that day due to Chelsea's snow covered pitch.

FB_IMG_1565820450584.jpg

maybe he hadn't kicked anyone on the pitch that day but it looks like he's banjoed Motty and stolen his coat! 

On 12/08/2019 at 23:51, tamthebam said:

annfield.thumb.jpg.67fcdf3958856bcf7a103d58aeb739b5.jpg

On 13/08/2019 at 00:03, Flybhoy said:

You'd have been standing roughly at the corner flag at the 'Town end' and St Ninians road side taking that picture. 

One thing that annoys me somewhat is, when old grounds are flattened and replaced with whatever there is always a nod to the site's nostalgic past, Morrisons supermarket in Falkirk is called 'Brockville' for example and has imagery all over the store, many housing schemes have streets named after players, plaques etc. There is absolutely nothing there to mark what was the home to the city's football team for half a century or so, poor stuff from Cala Homes and Stirling Council in my opinion. 

Annfield was my first away trip- Stirling 3 Meadowbank 1 in May 1987. Thistle actually got promoted that day as results elsewhere were favourable to them. That game was also the last game on grass at Annfield. The horrible plastic pitch went in after that. 

This is a photo I took a couple of years ago- Annfield House is in the background. 

Remember having a walk up to the park a few years after it was knocked down. As FB says the old Annfield House must have been listed to have been kept so long.

1st went to Annfield in 81 so have now been watching Cowden play at Forthbank twice as long as I did at Annfield.

5 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

Remember having a walk up to the park a few years after it was knocked down. As FB says the old Annfield House must have been listed to have been kept so long.

1st went to Annfield in 81 so have now been watching Cowden play at Forthbank twice as long as I did at Annfield.

I can't say whether it was listed or not but I did do a little bit of research for a programme article on the place: 

"Annfield House was built in 1785 and altered and extended in the 19th Century by which time it was surrounded by newer houses of the expanding Stirling Burgh. With the newly formed Stirling Albion requiring a home the Annfield Estate was purchased in May 1945 for £5000. That sum is about £200,000 today so the club appear to have got a bargain although with hindsight raising that amount of money at the end of the War appears an impressive feat. Volunteers helped level off the pitch, erect a fence around it and goalposts were made from an ash tree that once grew on the Estate. In Annfield House volunteers helped decorate the interior and fit showers and sunken baths in the new dressing rooms which were used until the mid-1970s when a new accommodation block was built. "

On ‎14‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 23:18, Flybhoy said:

Doug Rougvie delivering his verdict at not being able to break anyone's leg that day due to Chelsea's snow covered pitch.

FB_IMG_1565820450584.jpg

Here he is playing Fanfare for the Common Man at the Olympic Stadium.

See the source image

Celtic 4 Dundee United 0, November 1997, the week before the League Cup final between  the two at Ibrox won by 3-0, Andy Thom jumping for a header with, I think Erik Pedersen although I may be wrong with the Arabs player.

The temporary stand in the background which was in use for about 18 months before the Jock Stein stand was built. 

FB_IMG_1566155750854.jpg