A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

You'd have been standing roughly at the corner flag at the 'Town end' and St Ninians road side taking that picture. 

One thing that annoys me somewhat is, when old grounds are flattened and replaced with whatever there is always a nod to the site's nostalgic past, Morrisons supermarket in Falkirk is called 'Brockville' for example and has imagery all over the store, many housing schemes have streets named after players, plaques etc. There is absolutely nothing there to mark what was the home to the city's football team for half a century or so, poor stuff from Cala Homes and Stirling Council in my opinion. 

On ‎12‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 00:27, tamthebam said:

It's worth remembering that in those pre-pencillin and pre-NHS days football could be a matter of life or death. I've read club histories of benefit matches being played for players' families when the player in question had died of pneumonia and the like. I saw a picture of a gravestone fairly recently erected in the memory of a Leith Athletic player who died after a game. 

It's nice when clubs remember players from 100+ years ago and help with the upkeep of gravestones. I know there was a project by Rangers fans to do this but are other clubs fans involved in such projects?  

On ‎12‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 09:26, Flybhoy said:

Pretty sure I had that actual issue, probably in a box with all my football programmes in my parents attic.

There is a fans group called the 'Celtic graves society' was doing something of that ilk for a while a year or two ago. 

James Main of Hibs took a kick to the guts in 1909 - on Christmas Day, as it happens - dying of stomach injuries 4 days later... Joshua Wilkinson of Dumbarton received an abdomen injury in 1921 and died 2 days later... perhaps the best-known case is John Thomson of Celtic, who suffered a fractured skull diving for a ball in an OF derby in 1931, then died later that evening. Phil O'Donnell is of course a much more recent example.

Willie Walker of Leith is probably that player you mention TtB - he died in 1907 but unsure why... Leith were particularly unlucky as James Keenan of Duns had a heart attack and died in a City Cup tie v Leith in 1937. Remarkably enough Duns played on with 10-men.

Edited by HibeeJibee

On ‎11‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 22:45, Puffinmuncher said:

Charlie Nicholas on the cover of Scottish Football Today in July 1987

IMG_2676.jpg

Wow... I used to buy that. 

I forgot it even existed.

On 13/08/2019 at 00:03, Flybhoy said:

You'd have been standing roughly at the corner flag at the 'Town end' and St Ninians road side taking that picture. 

One thing that annoys me somewhat is, when old grounds are flattened and replaced with whatever there is always a nod to the site's nostalgic past, Morrisons supermarket in Falkirk is called 'Brockville' for example and has imagery all over the store, many housing schemes have streets named after players, plaques etc. There is absolutely nothing there to mark what was the home to the city's football team for half a century or so, poor stuff from Cala Homes and Stirling Council in my opinion. 

Honestly had no idea that's where Brockville used to be.

On 12/08/2019 at 14:43, Flybhoy said:

Some squad that, the last one I'd estimate where we had genuine world class players in it.

IMG_20190812_144217.jpg

Out of that squad of 16, at least 11 of them won European trophies at club level. 

I think Joe Jordano played in a European cup final with Leeds when they lost, along with Frank Gray, but Frank won European cup with Forest I think. 

42 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Out of that squad of 16, at least 11 of them won European trophies at club level. 

I think Joe Jordano played in a European cup final with Leeds when they lost, along with Frank Gray, but Frank won European cup with Forest I think. 

Frank Gray was an unused substitute in one of Forest's wins, the second one in Madrid I seem to recall?

8 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

FB_IMG_1565782497044.jpg

Ironically Real Madrid won the European Cup the season beating Patizan (Belgrade)

I actually didn't realise that was classed as the first round (Last 16) as we had already played and beaten a team from Tirana, Albania (17 Nentori), which transpires was a Preliminary Round