A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

On 26/07/2019 at 23:16, The Nightfly said:
On 23/07/2019 at 22:06, Flybhoy said:
George Best of Man Utd  in action v Partick Thistle in a testimonial match at Firhill in 1973, unsure of the Jags player honoured but I'm sure this was the year United were relegated. 
FB_IMG_1563915885792.jpg.311e2d565dc6172b585ccecd4f1c96ad.jpg

Found a photo with a caption, with the Thistle player named as "Rae". Alex Rae ? I was thinking more like Jackie Campbell (from my memory of him on my football cards).

Surely, with an arse that size, somebody must be able to identify that Partick player

On ‎23‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 22:06, Flybhoy said:

George Best of Man Utd  in action v Partick Thistle in a testimonial match at Firhill in 1973, unsure of the Jags player honoured but I'm sure this was the year United were relegated. 

FB_IMG_1563915885792.jpg

This must be the match ...

PTvMU.png

Hugh Sproat in, I'm guessing, a blue goalie top defending the Somerset Road End goal( I think judging by the building outside).

Looks like Roy Aitken in the background. Guessing that's a kid in full kit on the touchline.

20190729_154914.jpg

Edited by paulbrucerick

12 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Brian McClair after scoring the only goal of a Scottish Cup second replay against Aberdeen at neutral Dens Park in February 1987, after a 2-2 draw at Pittodrie and a 0-0 at Celtic Park. 

FB_IMG_1564523301873.jpg

In the background is David Robertson and....?

On 29/07/2019 at 13:56, Northboy said:

This must be the match ...

PTvMU.png

It was indeed Donnie's testimonial. Man U won 3-0 and Bestie played to the crowd a lot. The player in the photo I believe is Sir Jack Campbell, who was the next Thistle player to get  a testimonial, against West Brom with Robson, Regis and I think Laurie Cunningham.

Brian McClair after scoring the only goal of a Scottish Cup second replay against Aberdeen at neutral Dens Park in February 1987, after a 2-2 draw at Pittodrie and a 0-0 at Celtic Park. 
FB_IMG_1564523301873.thumb.jpg.966b2ceaa3ae8c850159043a1cb44bd8.jpg

I am correct in thinking this was Porterfields first defeat as Dons manager?

1 hour ago, Dunfermline Don said:

I am correct in thinking this was Porterfields first defeat as Dons manager?

Would need an Aberdeen fan to confirm this but Ferguson left for Manchester United in the November and Ian Porterfield took over shortly afterwards so it could be the case. 

It was indeed Donnie's testimonial. Man U won 3-0 and Bestie played to the crowd a lot. The player in the photo I believe is Sir Jack Campbell, who was the next Thistle player to get  a testimonial, against West Brom with Robson, Regis and I think Laurie Cunningham.

I was also at the Man U match and don’t think Jackie Campbell played , must have been injured. My guess the Thistle player is right back Brian Ralston. Afraid your memory’s all over the place about Jackie’s testimonial in 1980 , I was at that too and it was a Jackie Campbell Select v 1971 League Cup Winners. I have a memory that Hercules The Bear was due to “play” in that game, but to our disappointment Hercules never left a big van parked behind the goals at the Ruchill Park end. Probably would have been carnage if he had played I suppose! I can’t recall West Brom playing at Firhill, maybe you are thinking of a young Laurie Cunningham with Orient in an Anglo-Scottish Cup tie.

Jim Leighton has his jaw broken in the opening minutes of the 2000 Scottish Cup Final between Rangers and Aberdeen, Leighton retired that summer so this  was his last action as a player and, with no substitute goalkeeper available Robbie Winters put the gloves on as Rangers cruised to a 4-0 win.

B64868E1-9E3E-4B0A-82C7-E59FE231B382.jpg

On 30/07/2019 at 23:18, Flybhoy said:

Lawrie Reilly of Hibernian and Scotland, pictured at, I suspect a pre roofed Wembley. 

Lawrie-Reilly-Profile.jpg

I once stood next to the great man at a charity match at the back pitch at Edinburgh Uni. 

His grandson was wearing a Rangers jersey. Someone asked Lawrie about it and he shrugged, smiled and said "ach, what can you do, eh?"