A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

4 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

A Dundee line up from the 1960's looking very focused and serious. 

FB_IMG_1564084284081.jpg

That would be before a game in 1962/63 as Bert Slater is the goalie. Cox, Slater, Seith, Wishart, Penman, Smith, Cousin, Gilzean, Robertson, Ure and Hamilton. It's possibly the 8-1 European Cup victory over 1. FC Köln 

Celtic goalkeeper John Thomson clears a cross at Ibrox, unsure if this is the same match he was tragically killed in after a collision with Rangers striker Sam English. 
IMG_20190720_171329.thumb.jpg.91f957df3c806f39f701575c869702c9.jpg
What's the story? Never heard of this one before.

Rangers v Motherwell in 1984, back in the days when the home support was akin to what the Steelmen average just now, Ally Mauchlen and Ian Redford are the players pictured. 
FB_IMG_1563639486386.jpg.5281cb94cd2fff83b8dfc132da524a8f.jpg
Why were the attendances so low? Please note this is from long before I was even born.

3 minutes ago, MeadowArab said:
On 20/07/2019 at 17:21, Flybhoy said:
Rangers v Motherwell in 1984, back in the days when the home support was akin to what the Steelmen average just now, Ally Mauchlen and Ian Redford are the players pictured. 

Why were the attendances so low? Please note this is from long before I was even born.

They had a rubbish team because the Ibrox rebuild was expensive is the simple answer.

No glory = no glory hunters. 

33 minutes ago, MeadowArab said:
On 20/07/2019 at 17:16, Flybhoy said:
Celtic goalkeeper John Thomson clears a cross at Ibrox, unsure if this is the same match he was tragically killed in after a collision with Rangers striker Sam English. 
IMG_20190720_171329.thumb.jpg.91f957df3c806f39f701575c869702c9.jpg

What's the story? Never heard of this one before.

Thomson dived low to gather the ball as the Rangers striker raced in on goal, his momentum caused a collision which resulted in a severe head injury for the Celtic goalkeeper which, sadly he died from in hospital. 

11 hours ago, Pettywulliegrew-2 said:

Era before: my monicker..........Willie P loved a goal against the Celts...........completes the  comeback January 1976, Scottish Cup 0-2 half time, out paces McCluskey & McDonald to make it 3-2 

GW1024H727

Stephen Hawking could've out paced those two.

6 hours ago, MeadowArab said:
On 20/07/2019 at 17:21, Flybhoy said:

They weren't, it's a lie. They all went every week, even before Souness arrived and started spending millions. Sold out every week. Just ask any Rangers supporter and they'll confirm they were there.

10 hours ago, Drew Brees said:

Love a sash, doesn’t matter if it’s on Miss World or Willie pettiegrew

Not a great fan of the V shaped variety though, even on this stunna.

IMG_6581.jpg

So much to entertain in one photo - ‘Vote Naw’, a strategically placed ‘LOL’ to show what everyone looking at her is thinking, a handy ‘203’ from her doctor reminding her how many pounds he told her to lose, and clutching her ticket for the ‘Rally Roon the Sevco’ pantomime at the Pavilon. All married with a fake ‘MK’ clip on a Barras’ issue handbag. It’s all there (except for teeth).

I’m not very political, but if being governed by a lying, cheating, old Etonian Bullingdon Club posh Tory cnut isn’t enough to make me vote ‘yes’, then one look at that coupon has me about to go online and sign up for a membership of the SNP.

Edited by pozbaird

The International Soccer League was an early 1960’s attempt at promoting football in USA. The first tournament was at the end of the 1959/60 season. Kilmarnock topped their group but lost to Bangu of Brazil in the final. Picture of game against Glenavon plus report of the final. 

http://blogs.lance.com.br/gol-de-canela-fc/voce-sabia-que-o-bangu-ja-foi-campeao-mundial-entenda-historia/

9E9E8256-5996-4825-AF7A-DA155A69A8FD.jpeg

71B7AD49-6EBC-4889-83D7-0FBF37328868.jpeg

They weren't, it's a lie. They all went every week, even before Souness arrived and started spending millions. Sold out every week. Just ask any Rangers supporter and they'll confirm they were there.

In those days they could often take more fans to an away match than they would get at castle greyskull.
One of my favourite memories way the loyal fans screaming for the head of the ‘greatest ger ever’ as the Dandies went 3-0 up. ( that’s those who were still in the ground).

On 24/07/2019 at 09:52, The Mantis said:

The ref is the (in)famous J P R Gordon of Newport on Tay.

Looked him up on Wiki. Born in Inverness. Died in 2000. Suspended by the SFA for accepting gifts from A C Milan.

He was the ref when Celtic won 5-1 in a League Cup sectional match at Pittodrie in 1967/68. Gave Celtic a penalty when Bobby Lennox jumped over Bobby Clark. and ordered a retake when it was saved. Was attacked by a spectator who was dragged off him, by Jim Storrie. The "fan" was subsequently banned from Pittodrie for life, IIRC, and had his fine paid by a whipround from fishmarket porters. The Sunday Post reported "The pitch was then invaded by a North East man and - presumably - a North East dog, The man floored the ref before being collared by Jim Storrie, but the dog showed commendable, if surprising, restraint."

Edited by Jacksgranda
sllepnig

On 24/07/2019 at 23:10, A96 said:

Davie Robb scores a late winner for the Dons , wearing a blue and white striped top in a 1970 Scottish Cup tie against Clydebank at Pittodrie.

I can remember the change strip being all blue top and shorts with white socks in the early /mid 70’s, but I wasn’t aware of the striped top until seeing this photo. 

Anyone remember this game ?

DCE7C516-8669-40BB-80F6-D05C57BF3CAE.png

Yes. If I remember correctly the fans weren't particularly happy with the performance...

1 hour ago, Pettywulliegrew-2 said:

Didn't every body on the park get a retrospective yellow card for being involved in the melee  after his tackle(assault) and dismissal.........apart from Roughie ????

Yep, pretty sure Super Ally got a red card in that same match for a right hook to Gordon Rae as well. 

5 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Correct, Castle Greyskull was the home of He-Man, i.e the good guy...

The baddie, Skeletor, resided at Snake Mountain. 

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

I cant believe tbat people are still getting this wrong.

People Eternia’lly getting it wrong amiright

43 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Correct, Castle Greyskull was the home of He-Man, i.e the good guy...

The baddie, Skeletor, resided at Snake Mountain. 

Now occupied by Ray McKinnon apparently.....