A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

Time for some Hampden before and after spam.

Before:

queens-park-and-scotland-hampden-park-no

After: 

Before: 

B6FzkAGCYAE7cTi.jpg

After:

Hampden in its mid-90s inbetween state (pretty much the fourth picture) is how I would have seen it the first time I was there. It would have been the summer of 1995 or 1996 and I was with my dad and his mate who was a Reading fan. My mum must have been away shopping in the city centre and my dad's mate must have wanted a look at the old place so we went along. No game on, hardly anybody about but had a kickabout outside the old main stand for a bit. We then saw the old gate between the main stand and the covered west terrace was open so we went in and had a quick kickabout before leaving in case anyone chased us away. I remember it vaguely, particularly how dark it seemed in the old west terrace with its old cover. My first game at Hampden would have been around 2000 for one of the friendly matches, I'll need to have a look and see what games could have been the first, but I remember being at the 2001 League Cup semi-final against St. Mirren where Killie won 3-0. 

4 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Were they not sponsored by the SHEB or something?

Might be that, I specifically recall they were the unofficial sponsors of the Scottish Cup in that era, you would often see 'Kick Cigarettes out the park' type adverts at the cup final and the man of the match would get the Mr Superfit award :lol:

Nowadays football clubs would advertise heroin if the laws allowed it and it paid enough. 

18 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Think ive seen that image on the excellent Celtic Wiki page, by all accounts it's before a friendly against Tottenham before the 67-68 season, played at Hampden because of building work at Celtic Park and just a few weeks after Lisbon. 

I’ve got a signed programme somewhere from that game. It was a double bill for the Centenary of Queen’s Park, with them facing the British Army (I’m sure there’s a joke in there somewhere). My uncle got it for me as he was a good mate of Tam Gemmell after they met on holiday in Spain. Threw most of my programmes out years ago but kept a handful of decent ones.

On 12/06/2019 at 22:14, Drew Brees said:

Fans waiting outside hampden

IMG_6207.jpg

Spoke to my Dad about this fixture earlier, said he wrote to Celtic for a ticket and put in the relevant money to cover it. Few days later he had a ticket sent back to him down in London.

(He did the same for the 66 World Cup. He has the letter from the FA confirming all his tickets etc, still has his West Germany rosette and ticket stubs.)

He went to Celtic's fixture with Man United the season earlier, think Celtic gave them bit of a hiding. Said they were easily one of the best sides he has ever seen.

He and quite a few others I think would watch any Scottish side, I suppose there was a bit more affinity with the players then.

1 minute ago, GNU_Linux said:
6 minutes ago, Munoz said:
One of the founding members of the Scottish League.  Can you name them ? 
download.jpeg.f4154efcd87525a27ad20acf694bd51f.jpeg
Not the players, the club.

Based on the shirt being white I'd guess Dumbarton

No. but not that far from there.