A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

The Morton game was the semifinal in late 79. I think Ton may have been top of the league at the time. The Dons had but out both Celtic and Rangers in their previous rounds winning home and away(two legs in those days)
There was about 12k at Hampden that day. I was in the enclosure at the main stand. Dons won 2-1 if my memory is correct. The final against the Arabs was the next week I believe, also at Hampden and finished 0-0.

1 hour ago, Dunfermline Don said:

The Morton game was the semifinal in late 79. I think Ton may have been top of the league at the time. The Dons had but out both Celtic and Rangers in their previous rounds winning home and away(two legs in those days)
There was about 12k at Hampden that day. I was in the enclosure at the main stand. Dons won 2-1 if my memory is correct. The final against the Arabs was the next week I believe, also at Hampden and finished 0-0.

Didn't recall the fixtures in that year's tournament weren't played on matching days. United's semi final had been the week before the Dons semi at Hampden (had to look it up). Some quarter final games were taking place when United played Accies at East End Park in their semi, one of my favourite all time days out. 

Anyone recall why the rounds, at a later stage (semi and quarter finals) were staggered?

8 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

St Mirren team in the late 'seventies: a lot of good players in there. Can anyone identify the ground?

34y5isx.jpg

Ochilview Park, Stenhousemuir. 

A small covered terracing ran one side of the park you can see the roof to the left of the picture, the roof of the building on the right is McCowans toffee factory that, aside from their trademark toffee also made Wham bars I seem to recall, the factory was flattened about ten years ago to make way for housing, the terracing is where the stand and and dressing rooms etc are now, the opposite side to the wee main stand that bit the dust late 1990's.

1 hour ago, Dunfermline Don said:

Morton were top of the league for several months in late 1979 

4 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Didn't recall the fixtures in that year's tournament weren't played on matching days. United's semi final had been the week before the Dons semi at Hampden (had to look it up). Some quarter final games were taking place when United played Accies at East End Park in their semi, one of my favourite all time days out. 

Anyone recall why the rounds, at a later stage (semi and quarter finals) were staggered?

Wasn’t it a really bad winter that season.

8 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

A small covered terracing ran one side of the park you can see the roof to the left of the picture, the roof of the building on the right is McCowans toffee factory that, aside from their trademark toffee also made Wham bars I seem to recall, the factory was flattened about ten years ago to make way for housing, the terracing is where the stand and and dressing rooms etc are now, the opposite side to the wee main stand that bit the dust late 1990's.

There is now a Tim Hortons on the corner of the site where you can purchase something called timbits.

17 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Ground is Ochilview, McCowan's though was only knocked down a couple of years ago, and a B&M and Tim Horton's sit there now.

Edited by Dundee Hibernian
Fingers

7 minutes ago, Glenconner said:

Wasn’t it a really bad winter that season.

Not so sure, Aberdeen were still playing league fixtures when other quarter final games were being played. It was a bad winter at the start of '79 (Inverness Thistle v Falkirk postponed 29 times). No big deal, just wondered.

10 minutes ago, Zen Archer said:

There is now a Tim Hortons on the corner of the site where you can purchase something called timbits.

Never even noticed that, despite  the fact im in Larbert at least once a week at work callouts.

10 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Ground is Ochilview, McCowan's though was only knocjked down a couple of years ago, and a B&M and Tim Horton's sit there now.

Forgot about the B&M, housing next to it mind you.

What became of the Warriors Social Club at the corner of the covered terrace next to what used to be the main entrance? I know Stenhousemuir now have a wee bar in the main stand which is now on the opposite side, but the stand alone building that was the Warriors club still is there but looks like it hasn't been open in years, is it just mothballed now?

Edited by Flybhoy

2 hours ago, Dunfermline Don said:

The final against the Arabs was the next week I believe, also at Hampden and finished 0-0.

I'm assuming that led to the replay United won?

The first of United's first three trophies, all sealed at Dens Park.

36 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Never even noticed that, despite  the fact im in Larbert at least once a week at work callouts.

Forgot about the B&M, housing next to it mind you.

What became of the Warriors Social Club at the corner of the covered terrace next to what used to be the main entrance? I know Stenhousemuir now have a wee bar in the main stand which is now on the opposite side, but the stand alone building that was the Warriors club still is there but looks like it hasn't been open in years, is it just mothballed now?

Owned by an ex Stenhousemuir and East Fife player, Brian Jenkins, it's now called the Ochilview Bar.

14 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

The Meadowbank defender on the left staring at the ball looks to be in his 50s!

IIRC it's Ex Falkirk man Andy Nicol. That's what playing for years for the Bairns does to you! 

14 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Absolutely fucking fanny of a boy, I remember when he was placed on 'sick leave' just before Gretna got promoted to the top flight (rumour was he was an alcoholic mess and went for one of the players in a drunken rage) he was never reinstated to his job but not properly sacked either, their first SPL match, against Falkirk at their 'home ground' at Fir Park he turned up at 2.30 and attempted to enter the dressing room area in a clear publicity stunt, totally undermining the then manager, the equally loathsome Davie Irons and players that day.

Tosser, don't think he has been back in football since, also seem to recall him for a spell sleeping in his office at Palmerston while Queen of the South manager as his wife had fucked him out.  :lol:

A young schoolboy in Annan in the mid 70s designed Annan Athletic's current club badge- his name was Rowan Alexander. 

There's not a lot of people know that. 

10 hours ago, Moomintroll said:

Pfft, you and your Celtic related photographs. 

He made a post about Cadete and Van Hooijdonk, who made a combined 100 appearances over 2 years in Scottish football, in a thread called "A photographic history of Scottish football".

Owned by an ex Stenhousemuir and East Fife player, Brian Jenkins, it's now called the Ochilview Bar.
Smashing place. 4 years ago my mates had a Sunday league team and got to their league's league cup final which was played at Ochilview. After the bus journey we went into the aforementioned pub and with a few minutes to go until kick-off we went to leave the pub by the front - only for the owners to shout us back and told us to go out through a fire door. Straight out the door onto the terracing, pints in hand, to watch the game. They got beat but it was a smashing away day and I'd like to do Stenny again at some point, especially since I learned that Francesc Fabregas does the announcements on matchdays!

16 hours ago, Moomintroll said:
17 hours ago, Flybhoy said:
Steve Archibald of Aberdeen, Tottenham, Barcelona, Hibernian, St Mirren, Clyde, East Fife and Scotland. 
Couldn't find an image of him as player manager of East Fife though, of these pictures I particularly like the black and white one of him celebrating a goal for Hibs against Hearts at Tynecastle in November 1988, no choreographed goal celebrations or plastic fans in lego brick stands, just a pure 'Yaaass' pose in front of a packed terrace of jubilant fans, proper old school, brilliant. 
The one at a near empty Hampden for Aberdeen against what looks to be Morton is, I assume a cup semi? Fans of either side may be able to provide more detail  
GL925441.jpg.7ecd595fbdddfbdf51dbde7e08fdb4c7.jpg
110492-dumbarton-v-clyde-2-1-boghead-park-dumbarton-clydes-steve-archibald-BJH3B4.thumb.jpg.2ed7c03ee587c31827116138b44ccd01.jpg
0_Steve-Archibald.jpg.d34527b3f56621a6ddc25f0e5aa2499b.jpg
GL630773.jpg.143b69757e4c19a5dd9af75995861e1a.jpg
10952-zoom.jpg.ca3dc18fb33189262ec1c06a936a7012.jpg
db4bb082c7063bfbbc7cba520470b848.jpg.70df760d9a3f8ecb0b23a7a6dcb36bb9.jpg
D6EOR4qW0AACE0i.jpg.10212d8476e82718edeacb01b40dc1bc.jpg
21f5cefe8b6b3b3ec1348428fc680197.thumb.jpg.6265972a1d185273be40de806e9e816b.jpg

Pfft, you and your Celtic related photographs. I remember that he launched a fashion line called archibaby, poor show.

I spoke to a Catalan Barcelona fan in an Edinburgh pub and he told me that you could keep your Gary Lineker  and Mark Hughes, Stevie Archibald was the man. 

Guest Moomintroll
I spoke to a Catalan Barcelona fan in an Edinburgh pub and he told me that you could keep your Gary Lineker  and Mark Hughes, Stevie Archibald was the man. 
Have read in a couple of books about Barcelona that he was rated highly by their fans, never really saw it from what I remember about him playing for Scotland.

2 hours ago, Moomintroll said:
2 hours ago, Austin McCann said:

Have read in a couple of books about Barcelona that he was rated highly by their fans, never really saw it from what I remember about him playing for Scotland.

Archibald was a superb player when he was at Aberdeen.  Had a great first touch and was a very clever player. 

Pity about his efforts after playing football.