A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

11 minutes ago, Eednud said:

In 1936 a team called Vale Ocoba from Dunbartonshire won the Scottish Qualifying Cup (North) beating Keith 4-2 aet in a 2nd replay. This picture might be the winning side. A film clip of the first game at Borough Brigs exists. https://movingimage.nls.uk/film/1465

IMG_0766.jpg

The linesmen must have been on good money in those days, running the full length of the pitch.

In 1936 a team called Vale Ocoba from Dunbartonshire won the Scottish Qualifying Cup (North) beating Keith 4-2 aet in a 2nd replay. This picture might be the winning side. A film clip of the first game at Borough Brigs exists. https://movingimage.nls.uk/film/1465

IMG_0766.jpg.0123ecec8fbf43c31726009cd6ec85b4.jpg

Vale Ocoba (aka Vale Of Leven Old Church Old Boys association) are part of the lineage of three time Scottish Cup winners & founding SFA member Vale of Leven. Ocoba sprung up after Vale of Leven had been struck off from SFA & took part in Scottish Cup qualifying 31-38. Upon invitation to the Scottish Football Alliance the club adopted the name Vale Of Leven Football & Athletic Club. Alliance membership was short lived as the league was suspended due to travel restrictions caused by WWII thus the club joined the SJFA where it finds itself to this day as Vale Of Leven FC.

3 hours ago, Eednud said:

IMG_0766.jpg

That was presumably the start of Dunbartonshire teams playing in North cup sections

On 23/04/2019 at 22:08, Flybhoy said:

Former Hibs player from the late 70's and early 80's Ally Brazil in his subsequent career as a bus driver in auld reekie.

IMG_20190423_215251.jpg

I remember being at a derby at ER and Brazil coming on as a substitute - to a huge mocking cheer by the Hearts fans. I actually felt sorry the guy.

13 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Lies  :lol:

No, honestly. I think because it was more embarrassing for him than getting the usual football fans abuse. At the end of the day, players are just ordinary young men - some just boys. These days, with social media, I don't know how they cope with some of the abuse they get. And some don't cope.

12 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

No, honestly. I think because it was more embarrassing for him than getting the usual football fans abuse. At the end of the day, players are just ordinary young men - some just boys. These days, with social media, I don't know how they cope with some of the abuse they get. And some don't cope.

"One Pat Fenlon...."

22 hours ago, Pet Jeden said:

I remember being at a derby at ER and Brazil coming on as a substitute - to a huge mocking cheer by the Hearts fans. I actually felt sorry the guy.

Loosely connected. I went with my Hearts supporting Dad to Parkhead in the 90's and can remember Tony Cascarino getting cheered on by the Hearts support.  I dont think he had scored for Celtic at that time. Obviously the inevitable happened! I think he might have been sent off too.

20 minutes ago, Estragon said:

"One Pat Fenlon...."

Maybe hypocrisy, but I did find that quite funny. Not sure what the difference is. He was older? He was not a young guy coming on as a sub and having his confidence shattered? He was not 1 of 11 being singled out? It was his players that let him down? His team had been undeniably shite? 

On 14/04/2019 at 07:55, IrishBhoy said:

I read they played a Scotland select team as well but can’t find anything about the game on google.

There’s a nice story I found on google about a young boy cycling past the pitch at Troon and seeing Pele, Jairzinho and Garrincha kicking the ball about. Obviously due to the fact it was the 1960s he had no idea they were coming and he cycled over and got to speak to them. How surreal would that be to cycling through Troon and see the Brazil team playing on the football pitch :lol: 

https://www.thenational.scot/community/16330263.letters-how-times-have-changed-since-i-met-pele-in-troon/

The first ever international between the two teams took place on 25 June 1966, at Hampden.  The WC warm up match finished 1-1.

6701c1bfcf933473828edbd81c8f59b8.jpg

Edited by The Nightfly

35 minutes ago, paulbrucerick said:

Loosely connected. I went with my Hearts supporting Dad to Parkhead in the 90's and can remember Tony Cascarino getting cheered on by the Hearts support.  I dont think he had scored for Celtic at that time. Obviously the inevitable happened! I think he might have been sent off too.

Aye, scored an open goal which he nearly missed two minutes after coming on, then decked Levein with a right hander a few minutes later, on-goal-sent off in barely five minutes :lol: