A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

3 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I was wondering if it was pre-1960. The reason was that, athough perhaps you couldn't have seen it in that photo, the roof over the Wheatfield End at Tynecastle went up in 1959. 

Jimmy Wardaugh and Willie Bauld playing together in that snap,  Hearts wearing maroon socks also as opposed to white socks after the 1959/60 League win. 

1 minute ago, jamtart1972 said:

Jimmy Wardaugh and Willie Bauld playing together in that snap,  Hearts wearing maroon socks also as opposed to white socks after the 1959/60 League win. 

I thought that was Willie Bauld in the picture too- the Edinburgh City season record goalscorer. Then he went off to play for some non-entities in the Gorgie area of Edinburgh :lol:

21 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Did Clyde not have black collars?

9 hours ago, Andy_K_97 said:

clyde_1963-1965-dn.gif This kit is the one used by Clyde from 63-65, with 65-68 being the same apart from red socks.

The first example of Clyde using a black collar is 87-88 and it's only a wee one - not one that you could turn up á la Cantona.

Old age, eh?

12 hours ago, jamtart1972 said:

13th September 1958.

Note: 1957/58 League Champions flag flying* at the North Stand gable.

* Not exactly flying, maybe just hinging.

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/195809131.html

I was a bit baffled by this photo.  It looks pretty old, but the Hearts collars looked to me more like they came from the 1970s.

A check on Historical Kits suggests though that Hearts had those filled in v-necks right from the late 50s into the early 80s, save the occasional round neck.

Was that design not quite unusual in the 50s and 60s, or am I havering?

ETA: the Clyde one from the 60s is pointing towards havering.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

14 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I was wondering if it was pre-1960. The reason was that, athough perhaps you couldn't have seen it in that photo, the roof over the Wheatfield End at Tynecastle went up in 1959. 

The roof at the School End would be just out of shot to the left anyway ( if it existed )

14 hours ago, jamtart1972 said:

13th September 1958.

Note: 1957/58 League Champions flag flying* at the North Stand gable.

* Not exactly flying, maybe just hinging.

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/195809131.html

Great spot. 

Would love to see the flag flying at Tynecastle - even just once, before leave this earth. In fact, seeing it anywhere outside Glasgow would be nice. (Maybe not EH7 though)

17 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

Great spot. 

Would love to see the flag flying at Tynecastle - even just once, before leave this earth. In fact, seeing it anywhere outside Glasgow would be nice. (Maybe not EH7 though)

Remember Aberdeen winning the league in 1980 and it was seen as a novelty for a team outside Glasgow after a 15 year gap. The New Firm years.

Best not mention the 34 years and counting that have passed since the last novelty in 1985.

1 minute ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Another thing to blame Hearts for.

Just as well they won the league this season back in September.

Could add in Aberdeen in 1991 when they only needed a point and blew it. 2 serious attempts in 34 seasons.

1 minute ago, Glenconner said:

Could add in Aberdeen in 1991 when they only needed a point and blew it. 2 serious attempts in 34 seasons.

Theo Snelders was injured so young Michael Watt was in goal for Aberdeen on that last day title decider, Mark Hateley absolutely fucking smashed him early on and he was a bag of nerves all day afterwards, badly at fault for the **** and Hateley's second goal in that 2-0 win. 

I don't think Watt ever recovered from that and he slowly disappeared into relatively obscurity after that, a keeper tipped as the next big thing up till that point. 

5 minutes ago, Glenconner said:

Hadn’t forgotten  Aberdeen and Dundee Utd. I should have said “would love to see again

Haven’t forgotten Hately wiping out the young keeper early on. And Van de Ven missing a good chance. Ifs and buts.

8 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Theo Snelders was injured so young Michael Watt was in goal for Aberdeen on that last day title decider, Mark Hateley absolutely fucking smashed him early on and he was a bag of nerves all day afterwards, badly at fault for the **** and Hateley's second goal in that 2-0 win. 

I don't think Watt ever recovered from that and he slowly disappeared into relatively obscurity after that, a keeper tipped as the next big thing up till that point. 

Snap!

Billy McNeil and Ron Yeats shake hands before the first leg of the 1966 ECWC semi final, Celtic won 1-0 before going down 2-0 at Anfield in the return leg where a Bobby Lennox goal was controversially ruled out for offside that would have put Celtic through on away goals, Liverpool lost the final to Borussia Dortmund at Hampden. 

IMG_20190415_221636.jpg

13 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Billy McNeil and Ron Yeats shake hands before the first leg of the 1966 ECWC semi final, Celtic won 1-0 before going down 2-0 at Anfield in the return leg where a Bobby Lennox goal was controversially ruled out for offside that would have put Celtic through on away goals, Liverpool lost the final to Borussia Dortmund at Hampden. 

IMG_20190415_221636.jpg

There was as many Germans as Scousers at the final.

IMG_20190415_221636.thumb.jpg.3a7b2ac93c8e5d3a54eb58f397762034.jpg
Was there away goals then? I thought it was the 70s before they were introduced? Or was that penalties?

Was there away goals then? I thought it was the 70s before they were introduced? Or was that penalties?

Thought the same but Wiki says introduced for that season’s ECWC then Fairs Cup in 66/67 and European Cup in over 3 seasons starting with First Round in 67/68.