A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

Found this picture of the old Bayview in Methil.  This was the terrace I stood on as a 13 year old in August 1998 to watch the veteran Duncan Shearer and the young Martin Bavidge put East Fife to the sword in a 5-1 victory.

Image result for old bayview methil

4 months later we were back in Methil at New Bayview to see East Fife beat us 3-2 with absolute mentalist Paul Cherry getting sent off for the 165th time in his career.

Just checked Wiki and our scorers that day were Paul Sheerin,  Dunc Shearer,  the mentalist Paul Cherry,  Martin Bavidge and Mick Teasdale.  We had Charlie Christie and Barry Wilson playing that day too.  Some team.

On ‎05‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 15:13, Arch Stanton said:
On ‎05‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 13:13, 7-2 said:

Looks like Des Bremner won the European Cup and English Championship with Villa in the early 80s yet apparently only had one Scottish cap  that was gained during his Hibs days,  coming on as a sub 5/6 years earlier. Even by SFA standards it seems strange someone so successful was apparently nowhere near the national team. 

John McGovern captained Nottingham Forest to two successive European Cups yet didn't get any caps.

I don't have much memory of McGovern as a player but based on his achievements he must be one of the best Scottish players never to have been capped. Pretty sure that Des Mortimer who captained Villa in 1982 never won a cap either.

59 minutes ago, Northboy said:

I don't have much memory of McGovern as a player but based on his achievements he must be one of the best Scottish players never to have been capped. Pretty sure that Des Mortimer who captained Villa in 1982 never won a cap either.

Des Bremner is the only player from the Highland League to win a European Cup medal

1 hour ago, Northboy said:

McGovern was a good player who Clough had a lot of faith in.  He was more of a steady Eddie than anything outstanding though.  He was captaincy material, rather than a brilliant footballer in much the same way Denis Mortimer was.  

It wasn't that unusual then for successful clubs to feature some fairly average players.  There was nothing like the same concentration of talent across very few clubs and of course that talent came from the British Isles, rather than from all over the globe.

Trying to draw parallels with today doesn't necessarily work.

Kilmarnock chairman George Barr gives Angus the sheep something to eat while wandering on the pitch. Can only assume that this is postwar, probably 1950s - don't know when Barr was our chairman but I'm sure someone can probably keep us right with that info.

D33d3bIWwAATbC2.jpg

Edit: I'm reliably informed that the sheep ate cigarettes and that's what Barr is doing in this picture. Always knew smoking was baaaad for you.

Edited by Andy_K_97

1 hour ago, Ken Fitlike said:

Des Bremner is the only player from the Highland League to win a European Cup medal

Willie Miller is one surely? He was on loan to Peterhead early in his career.

Aberdeen were good but they weren't winning the European Cup good ;)

Aberdeen were good but they weren't winning the European Cup good [emoji6]

No. But we did beat the European Cup holders in the Super Cup.

Des Bremner was a local boy who started at Deveronvale before being transferred to Hibs. A genuine Highland League player rather than a loanee from a big league club.

2 hours ago, Ken Fitlike said:

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Willie Miller is one surely? He was on loan to Peterhead early in his career.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Ah, THE European Cup. I thought he meant A European cup.

5 minutes ago, Ken Fitlike said:

No. But we did beat the European Cup holders in the Super Cup.

Des Bremner was a local boy who started at Deveronvale before being transferred to Hibs. A genuine Highland League player rather than a loanee from a big league club.

Ken dishing out the telts...