A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

2 hours ago, Glenconner said:

Hibs were denied a stonewall penalty in the last two minutes of the first game.

The second game pished of rain for the entire game and extra time.

I’ve vaguely remember the third game being a Monday night.

The third game was, I recall, a Monday night: I was just returning from a long weekend at Wembley at Central Station, and remember fans going to Hampden that night. Also think it was raining that night.

In the third game, the previously mentioned Ally McLeod hit the post just before Arthur Duncan headed an og winner for Rangers, who had missed a penalty in extra time, a soft award from Glasgow referee, in a final in Glasgow involving a Glasgow team, I.M.D. Foote. Think it was Alex Miller who missed the penalty, which surprisingly wasn't then ordered to be retaken.

Duncan's own goal was a superb diving header.

He played for Rovers didn’t he? I took that as a standard anti-Rangers comment then I started to wonder...
eta - I think the podgy-looking Hibee in the background is Ally McLeod. The blurry Ranger is probably Parlane.
"He played for Rovers didn’t he?"
Aye, he hung about for a season and a bit at the end of his career but rarely made it onto the park.

2 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

The third game was, I recall, a Monday night: I was just returning from a long weekend at Wembley at Central Station, and remember fans going to Hampden that night. Also think it was raining that night.

In the third game, the previously mentioned Ally McLeod hit the post just before Arthur Duncan headed an og winner for Rangers, who had missed a penalty in extra time, a soft award from Glasgow referee, in a final in Glasgow involving a Glasgow team, I.M.D. Foote. Think it was Alex Miller who missed the penalty, which surprisingly wasn't then ordered to be retaken.

Duncan's own goal was a superb diving header.

Rangers also lost the league and what was a possible treble with 10 minutes to go at Celtic Park in a 4-2 game against 10 men the previous Monday night. John Greig as Rangers manager i believe was never to recover from that game. Hibs were to go 22 years from that night in 1979 before being in another Scottish Cup Final.

Edited by Glenconner

15 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

I see the finals went:
12 May 0-0 51,000
16 May 0-0 34,000
28 May 3-2 31,000

Quite a drop off in crowds.

IIRC the first game was live on TV, the second had highlights afterwards and the third was only on the radio.

18 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

I see the finals went:
12 May 0-0 51,000
16 May 0-0 34,000
28 May 3-2 31,000

Quite a drop off in crowds.

Compared to 7 years earlier the crowds had seen a 50% drop.

1972 Scottish Cup semi final 75,000 Hibs v Rangers

1972 Scottish Cup semi final replay 67000  Hibs v Rangers

1972 Scottish Cup Final 106000 Celtic v Hibs

35 minutes ago, lionel wickson said:
12 hours ago, scotfree said:

1896 Scottish Cup final between Hibs and Hearts. 3-1 to Hearts. The only Scottish Cup final to be played outside of Glasgow ( Logie Green, Edinburgh).
1896.jpg.3ebfb78c78abf9982f34bc299904a170.jpg

Anyone able to explain the pitch markings?

BOOBIES!!!

In relation to this, a quick check says that penalties were introduced in 1891 but the idea of the 18 and 6 yard boxes containing a spot 12 yards out from goal wasn't introduced until 1902. In this photograph you can see that two lines converge into a V and the apex of the V would have been where the penalty would have been taken from, according to our club historian. It's amazing how what now seems like common sense wasn't figured out immediately at the dawn of the game!

1899%20R%20Park%20Opens.jpg

12 hours ago, scotfree said:

1896 Scottish Cup final between Hibs and Hearts. 3-1 to Hearts. The only Scottish Cup final to be played outside of Glasgow ( Logie Green, Edinburgh).

Even then crowds spilled over onto the pitch surrounds. Disgraceful. A player could have got killed.

1 hour ago, lionel wickson said:
13 hours ago, scotfree said:

Anyone able to explain the pitch markings?

Found this info at thestrawplaiters.com...

Screen-Shot-2016-08-25-at-10.02.36-1.png

"The Laws of the game and various F.A. rules set out what must happen in a football match.  However, the Laws did not always set out what should NOT happen.  I get the impression that the Victorians took a common sense view of the game and innovated as required – letting the rules catch up as and when.  There are a number of significant examples such as a substitution during a game in 1895 which is set out in an article further down Onlooker.  Another example surrounds the myth that goalkeepers wore the same colour jersey as the rest of the team until 1909 when the Laws were changed (see the article in the Library).  There are many examples of keepers wearing different colour jerseys before this date.  It was obviously very useful for a referee to know who was in goal so some teams obliged.
When I researched the penalty kick I discovered a problem that the referees of the time must have encountered.  The plan on the left shows a football pitch from 1890 when the penalty kick was introduced (1891 in Football League games).  The solid white line across the pitch is the penalty kick line, 12 yards from the goal line.  A penalty kick was taken on the penalty line at a point chosen by the kicker – usually in front of goal.  The bra shaped arcs are the six yard lines, measured from each post.  Players had to be 6 yards from the kick so the dotted line was to keep outfield players back.

1898-Blackburn-v-West-Brom-courtesy-of-N

What happened when a penalty kick was taken right in front of goal?  The bra shaped 6 yard area did not help the referee ensure that the keeper was six yards away from the kick.  I wondered if a line was ever drawn across the two arcs thus making a six yard line (and a stepping stone to the rectangular 6 yard box).  I looked at many photos of the era which were inconclusive but I then came across footage of an 1898 League game between Blackburn Rovers and West Brom.  Look at the still from the footage, above.  There is a line linking the two arcs thus giving the referee some help in the penalty taking process.  There is also a central line marking the centre of the goal which looks like a pitch marking but it may be a scrape by the keeper.

Addendum.  Since publishing this article I have been given a newspaper clip from 1901 which states that

“It is advisable to draw a dotted line showing the distance which the goalkeeper may come out to face a penalty kick.  Most clubs do this, but the laws of the game do not make it compulsory.”

The following year the rectangular six yard box that we see today was introduced."

Edited by Lurkst

3 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Ron Yeats of Liverpool and Scotland looking all moody and reflective in a picture taken on the huge Anfield Kop.

FB_IMG_1554662786755.jpg

looking in vain to see if some scally dropped his wallet after nicking it.. 

Bobby Collins , Bertie Peacock, Billy McPhail and Neil Mochan training at a wintry Celtic Park in the 1950's, back in those days the majority of training by all accounts consisted of running round the track at Celtic at least, that was to change with the arrival of a Mr Stein a few years later. 

FB_IMG_1554761521827.jpg

1st May 1968 Sammy Wilson watches Bobby Wilson's equaliser in 1-1 draw against leeds United in the First Leg of the Inter Cities Fairs Cup semi Final. Over 30,000 at Dens that night. Leeds won Second Leg 1-0 two weeks later then beat Ferencvaros 1-0 on aggregate in the Final which wasn't played until the next season probably due to fixture congestion.

Image result for sammy wilson dundee fc